DIY modify & installing Oil Catch Tank upgrade version

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Here I would like to share how you could modify and hook up your oil catch tank and make your catch tank work more efficient. But 1st a small class session.

Q: Why need oil catch tank?
A: The oil catch tank is a canister used to suspend blow by oil vapors that is recycled back into your intake manifold via the PCV valve (Positive Crank Case ventilation) or the breather hose that connects to your intake pipe.

Q: How come will have blow by gas?
A:All engine will have a certain level of blow by due to unburnt fuel and exhaust gases escapes via the piston ring that's why we have a PCV valve system to regulate these blow by.
Below picture is taken from my other car this morning when I decided to clear the OCT (mileage is close to 90K) The OCT is a CARBING unit but I still do get a small amount of blow by then goes back into the manifold visible from the darkening of the return hose (the CARBING unit is not baffled)

Q: What is a PCV:
A: is a 1 way check valve that regulate the blow by gas

There are a few parts that you can used as a OCT. Some will use a fuel filter as a OCT, some will use an industrial oil air separator while some would use a OCT. It's up to individual preferences. Also if you like do a lot of spirited driving (high RPM) and track days, your blow by will be more than the average person who drive with low RPM.

This DIY will be most suited to those already having a OCT or planning to get one but my advice in getting a OCT is not the brand is more to how the OCT is constructed. Try to get a OCT that you can disassemble or can have good access into the tank. I will also show you how to hook up 2 outlets from your breather and PCV valve into the tank so that you make full use of 1 OCT.

In this DIY, I'm using a WORKS OCT as a guide. Things you will need:
1. correctly sized spring hoses
2. assortment of hose clamps
3. correctly sized PU tubing
4. corrected sized heat shrink
5. stainless steel wire washing mesh
6. Appropriate tools.

Step 1
With the OCT inlet removed, get yourself a correctly sized PU tubing to insert into the inlet side of the OCT. If you can't get the same size PU tubing as your inlet get some heat shrink of the correct size and get it over on the PU tubing and heat it up so that it increase the outer diameter of the PU tubing and help gives you a snug fit on the the inlet.

Step 2
With the PU tubing snugly fitted you need to fit back the inlet into the canister and see how far does the PU tubing goes into the canister. You want the tubing to reach about 3/4 of the tank if it's too long just cut the extra away and check again. After you have gotten the correct length. Use a cutter to cut some opening on the tubing to increase the flow out of the oil vapor into the OCT. How many to cut is up to you but around 2 to 3 is good enough.
Why extend the inlet of the OCT with a tubing? well most OCT have it's inlet and outlet next to each other and when your outlet is connected back to your inlet manifold the vacuum will draw back some of the oil vapour back into the intake manifold so it will still get dirty.

Step 3
Open up the stainless steel washing mesh and just wiggle them a bit and put them into the OCT. Now, you might ask why put those wire mesh into the OCT? If you notice that a lot of the OCT on market are empty inside and rarely you can see baffled type. Those baffled type OCT price will be more expensive. Reason for putting in the wire mesh is to increase the total condensation area for the oil vapour and also the mesh creates a longer path for the oil vapor to recirculate back into the intake manifold which means better filtration in the OCT.

With the OCT settled and modify you can now start to do your hose job. For this most will just connect either the PCV into the OCT and recirculate back into the intake manifold or the breather hose into the OCT then back to the intake or some would just plug 1 end and not circulate it back. Here, I connect up both the breather outlet and and PCV outlet together to form a single outlet into the OCT.

On the position of your OCT, best is to put it as far as possible from the engine or away from heat source so that the oil vapor will be able cool down quicker and condense faster. before it have the chance to get recirculated back into the intake (if you are running a closed system)

Step 1
Locate your breather hole and PCV outlet then connect the correctly sized spring hose to them

Step 2
Due to the different size of breather outlet and the PCV I use a hose reducer to get the correct size hose to connect them both.

Step 3
With the breather outlet done, connect a T piece to join the breather with the PCV outlet

Step 4
Connect the outlet from the joint system into your OCT.

Step 5
Connect the outlet side of the OCT back to your intake manifold. You can plug off the hole at the intake pipe.

The above mod on the OCT is to improve the canister function to filter and capture oil vapor so that less blow by will be circulated back into the engine or into the environment if running a open system.

Enjoy and happy DIYing.

Last edited:

SubaruFTW

Nov 27, 2012
Miri
loving it! will do it once I got my oil catch tank!
Also very good explanation of extending the tubing and also putting the mesh inside :)

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Nice DIY bro, but I guess I need to see you face to face to fully understand what you did there. :top:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

zeone

May 23, 2006

Bro TitanRev... :respect:

Congratz on great DIY there! :thumbs:

Me used fuel filter of ole gen Saga b4...
Kenot easily do so now cos need sp hose size reducer Connector
like those yu used cos of different hose sizes!
Kenot find here lo...a "desert" 4DIY... :(

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Pls PM me if can help get them..
will reimburse all yr expenses...incl a TT treat?
TQVM in adv, Bro!!

Last edited:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
sorry, i sort of pening .... mitsubishi engine got two joint at the engine cover.
a. pcv valve hose to intake manifold
b. breather hose to intake
after research in google. Oil catch should intercept between pcv(a) or breather(b) ?
some use air breather, catch can, etc ....whoa , pening :confused:
i know the idea is to take out oil vapor from returning into intake.

can sifu's here calrify. Thanks.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
sorry, i sort of pening .... mitsubishi engine got two joint at the engine cover.
after research in google. Oil catch should intercept between pcv(a) or breather(b) ?

or u can buy 2 oct...

use at each pipe...run as separate unit...

since most cheap ass OCT wasnt very big to begin with.. average +-500ml tank size....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

I only did OCT Tank to the one to TB, PCV valve one to intake I left it original.....:smokin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Wholesale price 100% guaranteed lowest Price with free shipping.shop today.
visit our website to shop.Need assistance? contact us by phone or email

Shipping Information & Methods:

We does not ship on national holiday delivery services. The shipping company is selected based on your requested shipping method and we are not able to select a specific shipping method that you request. We emphasize to choose the best shipping company for the fastest delivery method to your address

This...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience