2016 Proton Saga officially launched! 1.3 VVT, 4 variants, from RM37k

Amirul

Resident Journalist
Jun 7, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
www.zerotohundred.com

Proton Holdings Berhad today has officially unveiled the long-awaited Proton Saga. The A-segment sedan is built based on the previous Saga’s platform but has been re-engineered; making it pretty much a new car inside and outside.

We've been following the Saga's development, so do read what we felt about the car prior to its launch found here together with our first impressions.

2016 Proton Saga 1.3 VVT

Engine:
1.3-litre Variable Valve Timing (VVT) 4-cylinder
Power: 94hp at 5,750rpm
Torque: 120Nm at 4,000rpm
Zerotohundred: Manual: 12.2 seconds; CVT: 13.1 seconds
Transmissions: 5-speed manual or CVT
Dimensions: 4,331mm (L), 1,689mm (W), 1,491mm (H)
Weight from: 1,035kg
Price: Standard MT: RM36,800; Standard AT: RM39,800; Executive AT: RM42,800; Premium AT: RM45,800

Engine

All variants of the new Proton Saga are powered by a sole engine choice of the 1.3-litre VVT mill, good for 94hp and 120Nm of torque. Replacing its IAFM+ unit that propelled the previous Saga, this new VVT engine can be paired with either a 5-speed manual or a continuous variable transmission (CVT).

Despite power output being similar to the one produced by the Saga's previous engine, acceleration is now improved, thanks to a revised ECU and recalibrated CVT. The manual transmission Saga now takes 12.2 seconds (0.8 seconds quicker) for century sprint while the CVT auto takes 13.1 seconds (1.4 seconds quicker) to complete the same run.

As an A-segment car, fuel economy is usually a major deciding factor. Proton claims that the new Saga consumes 5.4L/100km (manual) and 5.6L/100km (CVT), an improvement from 6.0 L/100km and 6.3L/100km for the previous manual- and CVT-equipped Saga respectively.

Exterior

According to Proton’s Head of Design, Azlan Othman, the new Proton Saga wears almost entirely new body panels. Headlights and front bumper has been redesigned, and its tail lights are now 2-piece combi units that look sharper. There are sculptured surfaces on its door panels and new to Proton, a ‘pagoda’-style roof.

Front fog lights are only available on Executive and Premium variants only, however, rear fog lights are standard across the range. It is also worth noticing that the Saga’s rear doors are now longer to improve accessibility into its rear cabin.

The Standard Saga uses 13-inch steel wheels while the upper variants get alloy wheels; 14-inch on the Executive and 15-inch on the Premium. A total of 6 colours are offered to the new Saga - white, silver, red, black, grey (new) and blue (new).

Interior

The first thing to be noticed is the Saga's new steering wheel, which is adopted from its larger siblings; the Exora, Preve and Suprima S. The front and rear seats now feature new textures with fabric materials for all variants – 'Base Fabric' on Standard, 'Standard Fabric' on Executive and 'Deluxe Fabric' on Premium variant.

The new Saga also features 'stitching-like' faux dashboard design, similar to the Iriz's. Depending on variants, the new Saga comes with either a Single-DIN or Double-DIN head unit with Bluetooth, USB and auxiliary. All models get ECO Drive Assist, tilt-adjustable steering and folding rear bench seat. Boot space is 420-litre (improved by 7-litre) with space saver spare tyre.

Improvements on the interior are:

• 20% stiffened chassis
  • Reduced NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) level by 3 to 5 decibels (dB)
  • More sound insulation on the car’s wheel well, firewall and floor pan
  • More legroom to its already-ample legroom due to concave indented surface at the back of the front seats

Safety

Standard on all variants are 2 airbags, ISOFIX child seat anchors with top tether and 4-star ASEAN NCAP rating. However, ABS, EBD and Brake Assist are limited to models other than the Standard variant. The Premium is further equipped with Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Hill-hold Assist.

The new Proton Saga is now available for bookings and test drives at all Proton Edar dealers nationwide. For more information, please visit www.newsaga.com.

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Can target this car then.......:rolleyes:
Hahaha, at 37k, seems okay. But I'll just stick with my old Wira for now. Monthly installment for new car seems difficult for me.

I like their inclusion of strut bar in this car. The engine bay seems large enough to put in more mods unlike the cramped engine bay in Bezza where it doesn't even look like you can change the extractor.

Toyota Corona TT141

Known Member
May 18, 2014
Quote "According to Proton’s Head of Design, Azlan Othman, the new Proton Saga wears almost entirely new body panels. Headlights and front bumper has been redesigned, and its tail lights are now 2-piece combi units that look sharper. There are sculptured surfaces on its door panels and new to Proton, a ‘pagoda’-style roof."

What does it mean by "pagoda-style roof"? :confused:

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hahaha, at 37k, seems okay. But I'll just stick with my old Wira for now. Monthly installment for new car seems difficult for me.

I like their inclusion of strut bar in this car. The engine bay seems large enough to put in more mods unlike the cramped engine bay in Bezza where it doesn't even look like you can change the extractor.
What I mean is when you start working.....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Later can buy over Uncle's 350Z then.......:driver:
Hahahaha. You remember that I have an uncle who owns a 350Z. Well, even though I like the car, the roadtax is just too expensive. Over RM4k a year. The 19" tyres are expensive too.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
Hahahaha. You remember that I have an uncle who owns a 350Z. Well, even though I like the car, the roadtax is just too expensive. Over RM4k a year. The 19" tyres are expensive too.
I heard some ppl can kautime to get it half price for the roadtax, I got 4 pcs 19"
lying outside my hse, buy 2nd hand la rm150-200 per pc

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guy

did your konw why to buy this think,how if 2nd hand ?
or any comment for it

thanks

ftfong
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience