New SW20 owner

HaizamB

Oct 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hey all,

After almost a year looking around I've decided to commit and got myself a gorgeous looking red SW20.. Currently the car is in a garage undergoing turbo upgrade and dynos.. But so far about 270hp only.. Funds running low for the car, heh. Anyways anyone can share the running cost for their mr2 for comparisons.. Not sure whether mine is running at its optimum efficiency, or im having a heavy right foot or what.. Looking forward for feedbacks.. Cheers :)

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
3SGTE second genaration or third?

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

I just assumed ur a new fresh dude,at least that is what i see in ur previous post..if the car is really from the 1990 with a virgin undisturbed original engine,it would be revision one 3sgte. The first engine is kind reliable and also the cost of maintaining is average.not cheap not expensive. The timing belt alone could cause a fortu e. Secondly,the AFM if u do have one,that would cause so much problem as it ages through time and over 10 years old. I am not sure if ur horse is really actually 270 because me and u,both of us have the same engine,almost. And i am even using the E153 LSD gearbox from an MR2.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
pictures please.....

but do blank-out the registration plate.

HaizamB

Oct 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all,
yeah kinda new to car scene.. But what i knew from the previous owner that the engine has been replaced with a celica 3sgte 3rd gen. The others all stock. After i got the car from him i serviced the engine, changed the timing belt, gasket, waterpump, sparkplugs, and upgraded turbo and the blow off valve.threw in a haltech sprint 500 as well.. Somehow i dont have LSD. hmm... Currently car running no issues apart from boost cut if i try to run at 1.3 bar. May need advise on that issue..
Anyways enough with my rants.. Here are the pics (sorry not that many pics yet since car just got out of workshop)
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=534664&stc=1&d=1414147318
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=534665&stc=1&d=1414147318
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=534666&stc=1&d=1414147318
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=534667&stc=1&d=1414147318
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=534668&stc=1&d=1414147318

Attachments

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Sweet ride! I love the clean look of this beauty....and nice ferrari-like decal. Matches with the red.

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya
Hi all,
yeah kinda new to car scene.. But what i knew from the previous owner that the engine has been replaced with a celica 3sgte 3rd gen. The others all stock. After i got the car from him i serviced the engine, changed the timing belt, gasket, waterpump, sparkplugs, and upgraded turbo and the blow off valve.threw in a haltech sprint 500 as well.. Somehow i dont have LSD. hmm... Currently car running no issues apart from boost cut if i try to run at 1.3 bar. May need advise on that issue..
Anyways enough with my rants.. Here are the pics (sorry not that many pics yet since car just got out of workshop)
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=534664&stc=1&d=1414147318
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=534665&stc=1&d=1414147318
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=534666&stc=1&d=1414147318
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=534667&stc=1&d=1414147318
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=534668&stc=1&d=1414147318
3SGTE with a haltech is simillar to mine. If its an MR2 usually the turbo spec would come with the gearbox E153 with LSD. Gueas it was an NA before?
The third gen is a water to air intercooler 3SGTE.. Im kinda wondering righr now how did u put the water cooler and also where did you mount it..
A picture of it would be nice.. And if the third gen,unlike mine,it comes with a CT20b turbo,which is better overall compared to my CT26 twin entry. And did you upgrade to an aftermarket turbo? Which means you actually did a custom exhaust manifold? I did mine boosting at 1.4 Bar before,but it consumes too much petrol and also there was no point pushing it too far because my turbo is a ceramic shaft,boosting too much of pressure would result rapid wear and tear. I had to tuned it down to suit RON95 and also the expenses im willing to give for petrol. My car is daily driven. But for the third gen,i dont think its a problem because it comes with a larger injector and also the turbo can handle more boost. And if ur using haltech,it cant be a problem to have a boost cut..something like it never exist,you should be able to configure at the map.what turbo did u use ya btw..because the torque seems lesser than mine..

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Fuhhhh 2 Celica owners here now.
No la..its two 3SGTE owner.. But different breed.. MR2 was created for the fun of driving due to the balance and also the MR configuration.. The weight distribution is sooooo well balance on all 4 tyres.. Making the car super fun to drive..especially the NA G Limited. But when it comes to the MR2 turbo,the cornering is abit dangerous because at anytime if the boost comes in while ur cornering,good god,80 percent chance of accident...i dont have the balls for that,so i take the rally celica which was built for handling and grip,thats why there are the 4WS for NA and 4WD for turbo celica. But not as fun to drive as the MR2.

Last edited:

HaizamB

Oct 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
3SGTE with a haltech is simillar to mine. If its an MR2 usually the turbo spec would come with the gearbox E153 with LSD. Gueas it was an NA before?
The third gen is a water to air intercooler 3SGTE.. Im kinda wondering righr now how did u put the water cooler and also where did you mount it..
A picture of it would be nice.. And if the third gen,unlike mine,it comes with a CT20b turbo,which is better overall compared to my CT26 twin entry. And did you upgrade to an aftermarket turbo? Which means you actually did a custom exhaust manifold? I did mine boosting at 1.4 Bar before,but it consumes too much petrol and also there was no point pushing it too far because my turbo is a ceramic shaft,boosting too much of pressure would result rapid wear and tear. I had to tuned it down to suit RON95 and also the expenses im willing to give for petrol. My car is daily driven. But for the third gen,i dont think its a problem because it comes with a larger injector and also the turbo can handle more boost. And if ur using haltech,it cant be a problem to have a boost cut..something like it never exist,you should be able to configure at the map.what turbo did u use ya btw..because the torque seems lesser than mine..

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Thanks for the input.. intercooler was sidemounted. I'll try to get and post the pic sometime soon. The turbo is stock, but upgraded in a sense that using housing only, but the turbine is now ball bearing.. I would lose all boost pressure once i hit 1.3 bar.. Probably mapping problem.. Currently pumping ron97. fuel econ quite heavy now.. The car is daily driven and gets stuck in traffic jams frequently, hence bad mileage..

Ryuuken

Known Member
Apr 2, 2011
Subang Jaya

Thanks for the input.. intercooler was sidemounted. I'll try to get and post the pic sometime soon. The turbo is stock, but upgraded in a sense that using housing only, but the turbine is now ball bearing.. I would lose all boost pressure once i hit 1.3 bar.. Probably mapping problem.. Currently pumping ron97. fuel econ quite heavy now.. The car is daily driven and gets stuck in traffic jams frequently, hence bad mileage..
Aha!
I always wanna know about toyota turbine into ball bearing. How and where to do? Cost?

HaizamB

Oct 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
The shop subcon the turbo upgrade to other place, so wouldn't be too sure. I'll have to ask my workshop manager. As per my bill, costs 2k..

kkyen

Known Member
Feb 2, 2004
selayang
Ryuuken u own st185? I always wonder how st185 perform. I'm ex owner of sw20 turbo, yeah quite scary when speeding like you said, planning to go back again but with more powerful NA this time, still searching ard for non accident chasis. Celica GT4 was my fav too

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, about last month, I installed a Borla straight flow muffler on my car, and yes it was very loud and bassy initially. Last week my hands were itchy and decided to install a DIY cold air intake, the DIY was okay, but I removed them about two days later because of the heavy rain recently in my area,afraid of floods,since the road I travel to college is prone to flooding. (Ps: I never really pay any attention to the sound of muffler when my CAI was installed)

Until now,I have not...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience