Datsun 510 Talk.

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Hello,
Of late there has been growing interests on this infamous Datsun 510 amoung
our local community. Talks about this 510 is all over the ZTH forum and it's
hard to keep a track of them, so here we are having a "Datsun 510 Talk"
topic where everyone can talk and share information under one common roof.

I already know of a few local 510 owners and we have befriended ourselves,
anyone else here with a 510?. Let's report in here and share our passion for this rare car.

blitz3rs

Jan 22, 2006
Yea... Finally we got our own 510 talk. Me also 1 of da 510 owner.

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
I have been pestering this pakcik to sell me his 510 but he told me it has sentimental value...............now I got myself a 910. The next best thing I guess.....

leros

Known Member
Jun 7, 2005
Penang
Hi uncle coldair and everyone here, good effort uncle. I hope from this talk, we as 510 lovers can understand more about the car and discuss issues pertaining the 510. More info shared, more benefit to the members.

Regards

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Hello Blitz3rs,
If you don't mind I will attempt to answer your questions from the other thread in here since our goal is to have one topic for all 510's. Ok?.

Ok, the R160, R180, R200 and also the R230 exists in all RWD Datsun/Nissan cars and they refer to the rear differential used. The numbers after the "R", example R160 refers to the diameter size of the "crown" or "ring" gear inside the differential housing. The 510 in stock form uses an R160, the 910 uses an R180, Laurel/Leopard uses R200, I think the newer Fairlady uses an R230. Nissan's rear diff comes in 2 forms, long nose and a short nose diff, 510 and the 910 comes with long nose diffs. Arrrr...!! the information here may be a bit too much for someone who is not so well versed in this area( I am also learning btw) but I hope I am not confusing anyone. The long nose diff housing has a 4-hole mounting pattern while the shorter one has only 2-holes, another thing to note is that the long nose diff is dimensionally longer than the short diff, that's they way people calls to differentiate between them.

Now why fit a diff from a Subaru?, because both Nissan and Subaru uses the same diffs as manufactured by Fuji Heavy Industries which makes it a common platform for both these car manufactures as far as rear diffs are concern. In a lot of cases you can switch diff internals between a long and a short nose diff, this is especially true for the LSD carrier case which a lot of people do, happy hearing that?. So if you are not aware of this then this rear diff thingy suddenly opens up some options.

There are a lot more info that's available on the Internet, if you find time please do look them up.

Cheers!.

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
devious17 said:
I have been pestering this pakcik to sell me his 510 but he told me it has sentimental value...............now I got myself a 910. The next best thing I guess.....
Hey Devious.., the 910 has the same L-series engine and suspension geometry design as in the 510, so by all means 910's can talk here.

Something I realized different while looking from under a 510 and a 910, anyone knows what's missing by-design(or missed out while designing) in a 510?. It's a major component and I was shocked when I realized it wasn't there, not just on my 2 510's, I guess it's on all 510's. Not on the 510 is the rear anti-roll bar !!!!!!!!. When the 510's first came out in 1968 they claimed it has superior handling characteristics due to the IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) system and the rear wheels spreads out and the car squarts upon acceleration for better traction, they did not say what happens to the car's handling during hard corners, hahaha... no anti-roll bar for the rear so how can it be good at corners ar....?.

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
uncle coldair, it depends on what application you use the 510 for. Anti roll bars "share" the grip onto both wheels, it'll distribute the wheel that has more traction to the wheel that has less.

The thick anti roll bar on my A31 was installed to induce traction loss for tail out action so if the 510 is for gymkhana or market buying fish I think anti roll bars arent needed as we want the grip .

The only thing I would want an anti roll bar on the car is to "level" the car ( less roll) which attacking a corner.

I would consider altering the CG and RC to upgrade the cars handling.

When they designed the 510 they were thinking ahead of time. 510 is the first jap car that is IRS then followed by the market later on.

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
Immaculate! ................a bit high though

Anyone got their 910 with rear disc on? was toying with the idea of grafting RB's or SR rear subframe on the 910.

Compatible suspension for this 910?

Last edited:

coldair

Known Member
Feb 26, 2004
Devious,
Don't have to think too hard, the grafting of an RB or an SR subframe into
a 910 has been done before. There is currently one 910 sitting in a workshop
in USJ area that has this setup, I would suggest you go take a good look
at it and perhaps look and see how you can better improve the grafting.
It makes things a lot simpler if someone has done it before by just taking a
look at how it's being done.

Blitz3rs,
Nice and clean looking 510 you have got there, same color scheme as the one I have. Got pictures of the engine bay?.

blitz3rs

Jan 22, 2006
Well~ Just keep it ler.... I got two L series engine already.. L16 and L18. The 1 in my datto is L20B.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I've read some place offer servicing BBK or calipers but forgot where is it already - i think its in Sunway.

Need to service caliper which i have already bought the parts i.e. seals, rubber, etc.

any recommendation?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience