Looking for SW20's

defuser

Known Member
Sep 22, 2005
penang
Hi MR2 Sifus,

Me considering to get a MR2 SW20, looking to get one with a 3sgte and hardtop if possible, so naturally I have a few questions,

1) if the car is more than 10 yrs, i cant get loan anymore ? = ( have to pay all in cash ?
2) how can you tell a 225 and a 245 3sgte apart just by looking at it ?
3) I've been getting mixed reviews some say that they are unreliable but some say they are bullet prove, whats the verdict ? I was proud owner of a gen 7 ,2004 celica for 2 and 1/2 years and no problems what so ever so I would assume the same for the Toyta build quality for the MR2 ?
4) What are inherent problems that I should be looking out for ? any bad year or batch i should stay away from ?

lastly, anyone here know ppl that wana sell their mr2 ?

thanking in advance :wavey:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
You could make a personal bank loan. The car is more than 15 years old. The prices of this car remains high, despite the age. I guess it may be rarity of the car vs dollar sense.

Which engine?, check the engine number stamped on the block.

The car is reliable if all stock standard or with minor mods. Prob may pop up if the car has been modified extensively, by diff. users and workshop over their ownership.

Toyota cars during 1990s are made (almost) like a tank. This may be attributed to their heavier weight compared to today's japanese ride. JDM versions have better trims and quality generally.

Since the car is old, you may want to be careful with water leakings from window, windscreen and the luggage compartment esp.

The handling is pretty good (largely due to mid-engine config), but dont expect the handling to be at par with recent sportcars.

Other issues would be worn, wear and tear parts, such as bushes, seals, etc, but they are relatively easy to be replaced, with other interchangable toyota parts.

defuser

Known Member
Sep 22, 2005
penang
eh thanks for your reply ! really appreciate it.

when you say check the engine stamp ? what exactly am i looking for ? cause both the 225 and 245 also is 3sgte right ?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
All in all, all cars have a chasis no. All cars oso have engine number that can be found stamped to the block.

if you are lazy, check your car geran, and you can find the engine number there.
From the engine number, do a google search to find exactly which version/generation is your 3sgte.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
if you need to take a loan to buy the car. you can't afford maintaining it. being so old, wear and tear parts can pop up out of no where. plus to take loan, only avenue is personal loan where interests are damn high.

not a sound choice

From the engine number, do a google search to find exactly which version/generation is your 3sgte.
encik ken yeang, need your help, sent you a private message. can help ah

yn_hell

Known Member
Jul 27, 2005
Petaling Jaya
u can always join us for tt to ask more abt the car. lots of sifu ard.
car handling is good if u are able to master it.
fast way to check 225 or 245 is to check the turbo.
one use ct26 the other ct20
i'm not sure how often u drive ur car or how hard u drive it.
reliability and cost of maintaining it really depends on you.
its my daily drive, of cos u cant expect it to be problem free. but so far there isnt a problem that u cant solve.

defuser

Known Member
Sep 22, 2005
penang
thanks for your inputs... yea i certainly dont have 50K cash with me right now so might have to reconsider....but mid ship rear wheel drive...see how ler.. if there a nice one that pops up ill try my best to get it.

would love to join tt's but imma not from KL so... next best thing is to chat here i guess...

but historically there hasnt been any inherent problems with the mr2 ?

yn_hell

Known Member
Jul 27, 2005
Petaling Jaya
i am not sure how problematic other 20 over years car would be
but my sw20 engine don't have much trouble
the common problem would be the wear and tear parts (ie: hose, radiator, power steering)
turbo also might have a bit of problem as it is old and the fin is made of ceramic (ceramic to make it light so it can respond faster)
i think the main concern is to find one with good condition (not crashed)
others can be fix (we have some really good mechs that knows the car very very well)

hardtop definitely less cool but it is also less problem (no leak)
maybe u can pm me ur number, i can ask them to text u when they have TT

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
There is always risk and problems playing with an ageing car (like MR2, already 20 years). Ideally, the MR2 ownership would requires some prior mechanical experience of the owner himself. Owner needs also to invest some time and money to sort out minor/minor problems, when the times come. Restoring this ageing car to a practically daily-drive is possible.

However, owning a MR2 isn't entirely for the faint-hearted.

Just my 2 cents worth

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Once again the hills are set to reverberate to the burbles of V8’s and boxers as well as the straight gunned with the Berjaya Hills Time Challenge 2010 that will be put together by JPM Motorsports over the weekend of 29-31 October...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience