Corvette to get cooling upgrades amid track failures

Amirul

Resident Journalist
Jun 7, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
www.zerotohundred.com

The current C7 Corvette Z06 is an absolute track monster. But its performance comes with a huge drawback: it has well-documented inability to keep its cool in high-performance track environments, which ironically is the kind of environment it is built for.

Apparently, a fix is coming.

An automotive news site, Motor1 reported that the 6.2-litre V8 will get cooling improvements for 2017 year models. Their story quoted as:

"Tadge Juechter, Corvette executive chief engineer, says that a small number of customers reported heatsoak or overheating issues when running their Z06s hard on track. The exact number might have been less than five percent of all buyers, Juechter said, but those drivers complained loudly about the issues. As part of his engineering team’s emphasis on “continual improvement,” updates are coming this fall.

The 2017 Z06 will receive a new hood with improved cooling vents and some other changes “for additional cooling on the track.” Chevrolet says more precise details on the tweaks will come later this year."

Looking back to the reported issues, some early C7 Z06s had total engine failure at the hand of journalists, and it's not for usual reasons like crashing.

And at last year's car test for Motor Trend's Best Driver's car, the magazine's Z06 recorded a DNF result after a tremendous power loss on the track.

The Z06 is supposed to be GM's performance benchmark, and failure to perform out on the track (the place where the car is meant to be) is one more of a black eye for the company's reputation.

Statistically saying, less than 1 percent of the 9,000 Z06s sold have had engine failures. However, Chevy spokesperson says that they all have warranty coverage.

We will have to wait and see if the fix can restore the Z06's reputation.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey i was wonderin wat type of mod's shuld i get for my toyota pickup...its really hard to find parts for this car the only things i can like find is intake...exhaust...headers...manifold....spark plugs/wires...and thats it i was wanting to kno wat else i can get to make my 4 banger go a lil faster? :turtle:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience