How GST works at workshops

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
How is GST calculated at workshops in Malaysia, recently replaced some car parts, the foreman bought the parts from some spare part shop , when the spare part shop sell the part to the foreman , the GST is already included, and as per my understanding when I pay the foreman for the parts , Im paying the price which already included the gst, but when I ask receipt from the foreman, he says further GST will be charged . This happened to me recently ,my repair cost was rm5k (parts n labour), when I ask for receipt , he told me he will need to charge further GST around rm4++, if i don't want receipt no need to pay the gst, seriously how does this GST applied at workshops

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Same every where. That is why GST is not good because it is calculated on the last sale amount.
Previously any goods imported was taxed on the import price.
GST works like this....
Importer of goods pay GST at import price
Importer sells to agent and their selling price plus GST on that price, Importer then claims back GST at imported price
Agent sells to dealer at his price plus GST then claims back GST paid on importer sales price
Dealer sells to workshop at his price plus GST then claim back GST on agents price
Finally workshop sells to you at his price plus GST and claims back GST on dealers price
So you being the end consumer that is the final GST paid to G.
So GST is paid on the last highest price, even though at 6% seems lower than old tax percentage, the 6% is calculated on final selling price and old tax is paid on lower import price. If profit margin along the way is high means the tax can be even higher even though the percentage is lower.
Moreover now have to pay GST on the workmanship too....:banghead:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
More over if you don't want receipt, actually workshop got to buy the parts in cash to end the GST there. If goes to his account he will have hard time explaining where the goods went to especially no receipt......lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

BMW has unveiled a video about the testing of the latest weapon at Autodrome de Miramas. The BMW is capable of a high speed of more than 300 km/h (app. 190 mph), Launch Control vs. smoky burnout, a wet handlingcourse. The BMW engineers are optimizing the new BMW M5 even for extreme conditions. Watch this awesome video on the new twin-turbo engine. Farewell V10, welcome to twin-turbo V8...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience