Low oil pressure at idle and Mivec mode not cutting in 4G92 MIVEC help!

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Hi I have a Lancer with a swap to a 4G92 MIVEC as per the picture:

IMG_20170625_170833s.jpg

Recently the oil pressure has started to go low when the engine is at idle/tickover.

IMG_20171225_191421.jpg

This is shown on my oil pressure gauge as well as the oil light on the dashboard had been flickering.

Also the car won't go into MIVEC mode.

I have checked the oil, it is at the correct level on the dip stick and was only changed about 3000 KM ago, running 10W40 fully synthetic oil.

Everything was working fine previously, then after a long fast run on a clear motorway where I was able to go into MIVEC mode, when I turned off the motorway and stopped at some traffic lights noticed the low oil pressure at idle.

The oil pressure for regular driving looks fine.

Any idea's about to fix this issue?

Many thanks

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Looks like need to change the oil pump. Better do fast as Oil starvation is not good for the engine

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Hi

Thanks for the reply's, have read that my engine can suffer from oil pickup in the sump getting blocked, will look into it, won't be driving it much until sorted out

cheers

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya
Is your oil pressure level same as before? 1bar seems a bit weak but still fairly normal, if the pressure is the same as before, try check your mivec solenoid.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
yeah 1 bar isnt horribly bad yet..... depending on the amount of wear, 1bar per 1k rpms can be considered 'sort of normal'

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
definitely a little lower because the alarm was activated, also oil light on the dash board came on.

Have been advised to try an oil change to 5W50 fully synthetic oil, will do that, and check the MIVEC solenoid.

Many thanks!

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
change oil pump..

new billet pump preferred...

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Since normal drive the pressure is normal, could it be the oil pressure sensor problem?
since oil pressure goes up with the rpm (till a certain point) si if it actually is starving, it will seem fine when you are giving it some revs. Afaik, it would only know if the pressure is fine or too low without taking into account the rpm speeds (on my old junk car at least, it isnt able to relate the rpm and oil pressure)
and since he has 2 sensors (one stock, providing ecu data hense the dash light and the other for the defi, which is also going off)

definitely a little lower because the alarm was activated, also oil light on the dash board came on.

Have been advised to try an oil change to 5W50 fully synthetic oil, will do that, and check the MIVEC solenoid.

Many thanks!
jay, dont think changing to heavier oil will solve anything, but instead only mask the issue if it works. (my 2 cents)

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
since oil pressure goes up with the rpm (till a certain point) si if it actually is starving, it will seem fine when you are giving it some revs. Afaik, it would only know if the pressure is fine or too low without taking into account the rpm speeds (on my old junk car at least, it isnt able to relate the rpm and oil pressure)
and since he has 2 sensors (one stock, providing ecu data hense the dash light and the other for the defi, which is also going off)
oil pressure need to check under load. free revs sometimes pressure is ok. :driver:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
oil pressure need to check under load. free revs sometimes pressure is ok. :driver:
oh didnt know there would be any dif

**actually... am quite sure there will be no dif, oil pressure should (afaik-lah) be affected by the temps (affecting viscosity) and rpms.

Last edited:

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
I think I will try an oil and oil filter change, maybe just partly blocked oil filter?

does anyone know the best oil filter to buy for 4G92 MIVEC Gen 2?

If that doesn't work will have to look into changing the oil pump.

cheers

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
I think I will try an oil and oil filter change, maybe just partly blocked oil filter?

does anyone know the best oil filter to buy for 4G92 MIVEC Gen 2?

If that doesn't work will have to look into changing the oil pump.

cheers
any filter will do really... am running proton filters on my car...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

What is the most suited time to check car balancing & alignment?

Or does it based on how we drive?

I need your assistance,experts out there!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience