new tyre in front or rear?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
ok, new tyre to the rear for better hydroplaning.

but no test for braking distance?

hence I said, it may not be relevant in our local weather.
ours are hot unlike theirs, wet.
In my opinion, based on my experience.

For cornering, rear tyre is more important.

For braking ( without cornering ) , front tyre is more important.
True. Braking is impacted. BUT for street driving you do not do super late braking. Not supposed to anyway. As for emergency braking, keep a safe distance from car in front. Don't tailgate.

https://youtu.be/xHe6PuSLwqA

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
ok, new tyre to the rear for better hydroplaning.

but no test for braking distance?

hence I said, it may not be relevant in our local weather.
ours are hot unlike theirs, wet.
Relevance is one thing - but practicality is another. The advice from most car and tyre manufacturers is to rotate your tyres so you get even wear on all 4 tyres then one shot change all 4. Which is what I do. It's expensive I know but I have to budget and allocate money for the change. I prefer it that way because it's the safer thing to do and there will be no sudden surprises.

As for tests - you aren't supposed to have 2 worn 2 new tyre combos in the first place I think. So testing is irrelevant.

Aiya.. stick to 15" la. 130 - 160 per tyre is goddamn affordable for pretty reasonable tyres. It's when you up to 17" then it becomes ridongculous.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Exactly......Keeping old tyres in the rear will make them grow old only, since hardly wear in the rear
I think I want to change tyre soon already. Will put my rear ones to front if I change. Now my front Goodyear Duraplus performs quite poor on wet. Any hard acceleration in 1st or 2nd gear, tyres not gripping.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
In theory as generally suggested, new tires is better at the front for safety reason especially in the wet. This is also what I have said if anyone asked in forums coz in general I would not know how they drive and what are the condition of their older tires. So for the sake of safety and not wanting to be guilty to lead someone to having an accident, that's what I'd normally suggest too. However for me personally, it would depend on the old tire condition, how different they are to the newly bought one, or how bad they are already. Because in practice when I do front/back rotation every 10-20k km, of course I'd still end up putting the slightly better tires at the front, yet it's still working fine, no spins or as scary as had been portrayed by the theory. In past, I also had put new tires at the front too coz I like the fast responsive feel of new tires at the front. However I never had so big of a difference between new & old tires between the front and rear (my old rear were never reaching bad condition in the first place), and I do keep in mind the risk of it especially in the wet and therefore I drive accordingly. Anyway the best solution is to always try to rotate regularly every 10-20k km so the wear will be more even and replace all 4 and that's mostly what I did before (cannot remember when was the last time I just changed 2 new tires to be honest). Even with my current staggered setup, last time I replaced all 4 tires even though my rears still had like 2mm deeper treads. So if possible, rotate your tires hence the tire will last longer for all 4 but then must change all 4 together too, that is the best practice IMHO. If really you can only replace 2 then since I don't know how you drive or how good you are and how are your old tires, then I'd suggest to put them at the back for better safety reason. :)

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
In theory as generally suggested, new tires is better at the front for safety reason especially in the wet. This is also what I have said if anyone asked in forums coz in general I would not know how they drive and what are the condition of their older tires. So for the sake of safety and not wanting to be guilty to lead someone to having an accident, that's what I'd normally suggest too. However for me personally, it would depend on the old tire condition, how different they are to the newly bought one, or how bad they are already. Because in practice when I do front/back rotation every 10-20k km, of course I'd still end up putting the slightly better tires at the front, yet it's still working fine, no spins or as scary as had been portrayed by the theory. In past, I also had put new tires at the front too coz I like the fast responsive feel of new tires at the front. However I never had so big of a difference between new & old tires between the front and rear (my old rear were never reaching bad condition in the first place), and I do keep in mind the risk of it especially in the wet and therefore I drive accordingly. Anyway the best solution is to always try to rotate regularly every 10-20k km so the wear will be more even and replace all 4 and that's mostly what I did before (cannot remember when was the last time I just changed 2 new tires to be honest). Even with my current staggered setup, last time I replaced all 4 tires even though my rears still had like 2mm deeper treads. So if possible, rotate your tires hence the tire will last longer for all 4 but then must change all 4 together too, that is the best practice IMHO. If really you can only replace 2 then since I don't know how you drive or how good you are and how are your old tires, then I'd suggest to put them at the back for better safety reason. :)
Man i had to copy out to a notepad, broke to paragraphs to ease my eye. :listen:

+1, ideally rotation are recommended at 10km (kalau rajin).

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Man i had to copy out to a notepad, broke to paragraphs to ease my eye. :listen:

+1, ideally rotation are recommended at 10km (kalau rajin).
Hahaha, sorry, somehow lazy to press enter!

Yup, best is rotate every 10k km so the difference between front & rear stays minimal.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
When you drive a FWD car, which one would you prefer, understeer or oversteer? I wouldnt want my rear to snap out of a sudden in wet. Its gonna be impossible to recover.

No matter what climate we live in, slippery is slippery. Its the same everywhere in the world. Imagine this..you are driving fast on highway in the rain. Two things could happen:

1. Your front hydroplane and your car steers itself. But your rear is still grippy and you maintain a line.
2. Your rear hydroplane and your car spin. Front grip is almost useless unless you can power the car to straighten it. But in the wet and at highspeed, how fast can you react and how high is the chance of recovering?

I believe that the braking distance would not be compromised much as cars have rear brakes too, remember?

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
When you drive a FWD car, which one would you prefer, understeer or oversteer? I wouldnt want my rear to snap out of a sudden in wet. Its gonna be impossible to recover.

No matter what climate we live in, slippery is slippery. Its the same everywhere in the world. Imagine this..you are driving fast on highway in the rain. Two things could happen:

1. Your front hydroplane and your car steers itself. But your rear is still grippy and you maintain a line.
2. Your rear hydroplane and your car spin. Front grip is almost useless unless you can power the car to straighten it. But in the wet and at highspeed, how fast can you react and how high is the chance of recovering?

I believe that the braking distance would not be compromised much as cars have rear brakes too, remember?
bro u long time MIA :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
This is also what I have said if anyone asked in forums coz in general I would not know how they drive and what are the condition of their older tires.
Agree with you that whether new tyre in front or rear depends on the condition of the old tyres.

To me, if you start with 4 new tyres, and doing the 2 tyre change method, the old tyres can go to the front. Why? Well, if start with 4 new tyres, in a FWD car (most are nowadays) the front will wear out first. By the time the fronts tyre are bald, the rear will still have 70 to 80 percent. Putting them in front is still safe and also putting them in front will wear the old tyres off first. By the time these two tyre gets bald the rears ones will still have about 80 percent balance and the two tyre change can go on.
This is actually safer because at any time will still have 2 tyres with pattern. If you rotate the tyres at the end of tyre life you actually have 4 bald tyres. That is why if do 4 tyre change better change way before it reaches TWI.....:smokin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Agree with you that whether new tyre in front or rear depends on the condition of the old tyres.

To me, if you start with 4 new tyres, and doing the 2 tyre change method, the old tyres can go to the front. Why? Well, if start with 4 new tyres, in a FWD car (most are nowadays) the front will wear out first. By the time the fronts tyre are bald, the rear will still have 70 to 80 percent. Putting them in front is still safe and also putting them in front will wear the old tyres off first. By the time these two tyre gets bald the rears ones will still have about 80 percent balance and the two tyre change can go on.
This is actually safer because at any time will still have 2 tyres with pattern. If you rotate the tyres at the end of tyre life you actually have 4 bald tyres. That is why if do 4 tyre change better change way before it reaches TWI.....:smokin:
So much difference meh, front already bald but rear still 70-80%? I thought usually the rear also only left like 50% at best, unless have high powered FWD car to easily burn off the fronts like your VR!

I do get your idea, better to have 2 tires still not too bald rather than have all 4 bald. However if my rear only left like 50% then I put those to the front with new ones at the rear, then the downside is I can have even more under steer in a FWD car. That's why I will always rotate if possible, hence to try maintain more or less the same handling even though overall grip of course already deteriorates. I'm still doing this for my wife's Livina even though cannot do already for my car. (I'm actually considering to change size to 235/45/17 all 4 so I can still at least dismantle to rotate front/rear).

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

One moral of the story though, don't drive too fast in the wet.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So much difference meh, front already bald but rear still 70-80%? I thought usually the rear also only left like 50% at best, unless have high powered FWD car to easily burn off the fronts like your VR!

I do get your idea, better to have 2 tires still not too bald rather than have all 4 bald. However if my rear only left like 50% then I put those to the front with new ones at the rear, then the downside is I can have even more under steer in a FWD car. That's why I will always rotate if possible, hence to try maintain more or less the same handling even though overall grip of course already deteriorates. I'm still doing this for my wife's Livina even though cannot do already for my car. (I'm actually considering to change size to 235/45/17 all 4 so I can still at least dismantle to rotate front/rear).
If start with 4 new tyres, yes, the wear in front very much more. Rear for FWD hardly wears.

That is exactly what the manufacturers mentioned. If you tent to understeer, you will slow down, rather than go faster and oversteer in a FWD.....lol:driver:

[A]aronLJW

Feb 2, 2017
Regardless of FWD, RWD or AWD, the better thread tyres should put at the rear.

Should the events of braking or cornering, your rear wont buang and you still have control on the front when you slow down.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Public service announcements has always been trying to increase the awareness of road safety to the road users, and the one that keeps repeating the most is always about putting on the seatbelts. Although it only requires less than 5 seconds for one to put on, it will keep one safe and secure in an event of a traffic mishap. And this applies to not only the driver, but to the passengers as well...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience