How to remove burnt oil stains on SS exhaust extractor

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

Your engine bay has a lots of space between the header and the radiator fan. Can put one of those fancy extractors with long runners. Mine doesnt have such space

Attachments

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

Your engine bay has a lots of space between the header and the radiator fan. Can put one of those fancy extractors with long runners. Mine doesnt have such space

The fan in front of the header is actually the aircond fan. Even with this aftermarket header, the distance between it and the fan is still similar with the stock header+heat shield.

Your 4G9 engine looks quite cramped. Are you worried about the heat from your header damaging your fan?

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
It was a one-off incident. Was caught in moderate jam at Pudu. Suddenly temperature shot up. Found a place to park and opened the bonnet. Top legs was detached from the main frame and the fan assembly fell over & was resting against the headers. Luckily there was a spare parts shop nearby. Walked over and bought a standard proton unit. Been many years since that and the replacement fan hasn't failed yet.

For an NA engine, there hasn't been a need to upgrade radiator/fan assembly. 4G93 DOHC heats up from cold start really fast. I believe this engine builds up heat easily but using Toyota coolant, engine temperature has been stable even when revved hard up Genting. Thus far, I only had radiator top panel replaced once. I believe turbo units may require better cooling.

Edit:
Sanekit appears to have red colored aftermarket radiator. Looks slimmer compared to mine.

Edit2 Oops. The red color is not a radiator :stupid:

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
It was a one-off incident. Was caught in moderate jam at Pudu. Suddenly temperature shot up. Found a place to park and opened the bonnet. Top legs was detached from the main frame and the fan assembly fell over & was resting against the headers. Luckily there was a spare parts shop nearby. Walked over and bought a standard proton unit. Been many years since that and the replacement fan hasn't failed yet.

For an NA engine, there hasn't been a need to upgrade radiator/fan assembly. 4G93 DOHC heats up from cold start really fast. I believe this engine builds up heat easily but using Toyota coolant, engine temperature has been stable even when revved hard up Genting. Thus far, I only had radiator top panel replaced once. I believe turbo units may require better cooling.

Edit:
Sanekit appears to have red colored aftermarket radiator. Looks slimmer compared to mine.

Is the melted fan a standard Proton unit or aftermarket? Is it because it melt due to top legs detached and the fan fell over? Or the heat broke the top legs?

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Is the melted fan a standard Proton unit or aftermarket? Is it because it melt due to top legs detached and the fan fell over? Or the heat broke the top legs?
It was a standard proton fan. Came with the car when it was new. Don't think I can blame it on the heat of the header. The replacement fan has been in use for years without issues. Tbh, I cannot tell how the legs broke off. By the time I opened the bonnet, it was melting against the headers. Hard to pry it out since it was stuck.

Are you thinking of upgrading your fan?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
It was a standard proton fan. Came with the car when it was new. Don't think I can blame it on the heat of the header. The replacement fan has been in use for years without issues. Tbh, I cannot tell how the legs broke off. By the time I opened the bonnet, it was melting against the headers. Hard to pry it out since it was stuck.

Are you thinking of upgrading your fan?
Then maybe your headers should be fine although the gap between them and the fan is quite close. Just that melting incident happened because the legs broke off.

Nope, din't thought of upgrading the fan. But I did consider before of changing to a larger radiator since my original 1.5 manual radiator is half sized instead of full size. But since it is managing the temperature quite well even when I am driving at near 6000rpm in 4th gear, I don't plan to change it now. The most recent temperature problem that I had is due to a stuck thermostat. After that is fixed, temperature is stable.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
it is managing the temperature quite well even when I am driving at near 6000rpm in 4th gear, I don't plan to change it now.
I support that idea. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Original comes with a metal plate/shield at the front. I think it's to prevent the air from the fan cooling the headers. Wonder if I should get the exhaust fella to fashion one for me.

Attachments

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
That actually happened once before. Melted one of the plastic legs off the bracket.
U need better heatshield.

Edit:

LOL. Radiator is not there. I'm using double layer long radiator as my car is auto. My headers comes with the stock heat shield. :driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I support that idea. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Original comes with a metal plate/shield at the front. I think it's to prevent the air from the fan cooling the headers. Wonder if I should get the exhaust fella to fashion one for me.
Well, you are right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My mechanic did told me that if I want to mount a full sized radiator, I need to make some welding modification below to mount the right side of the radiator. Or maybe I can go for those Taiwan aluminum radiator which is available in half size. :biggrin:

What 4-2-1 header is this? Stock 4G93 in your C99 Wira?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Here's a pic of the header I replaced recently. Since my car doesn't have a 02 sensor, they welded the port shut.

Paid 250 for it. How much did it cost you, RENESIS?

The Hotbit's unit was 1-piece. Had difficulty removing it. I asked them to cut it into 2. This is also to prevent the old header from being re-patched and later re-sold.
Now looking at your extractor, the 2 to 1 joint before the flexible bellow, does not look smooth/straight. A bit bent at an angle......:smokin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, i want to ask u sifus whether all car brake hose connector are the same ah? For example, Nissan Caliper hose connector to Wira connector. Pls give advice. Thank you. :D
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience