Wheel studs too short

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Its been a while..been out of modding since got kids..

Anyway, I have aftermarket wheels but the center is thicker, thus not enough of the stud is going thru.

Anyone have any idea to get something like this?:
https://www.carid.com/images/dorman/lug-nuts-locks/611-241.jpg

But ultimately, is it safe?
Looking at the nuts the front looks thick. Can it go in? Nowadays the rims lug holes are quite precise with very little free play, that is why the lug nuts have a V head to even out and centralized the rims lug hole against the lugs studs.
Better to just change the lug studs to longer ones.....:driver:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=565147&stc=1&d=1497692689

Attachments

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
The usual aftermarket lugs fit, just due to thicker center on the wheel, the lugs only max out in maybe 3 rotations.. if my explanation is good.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The usual aftermarket lugs fit, just due to thicker center on the wheel, the lugs only max out in maybe 3 rotations.. if my explanation is good.
That is why you need longer studs. In my picture I am showing you the short and long studs. With the long studs then you have more area to screw onto. 3 rotations is too little.....:driver:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
the one u posted looks like a safe option.. just dunno where to get

or u can just get longer studs...go to ur regular workshop and ask them about it....if they dunno.. ask around. normal OEM ones are not that expensive for the stud...labour wise different story. also can try asking spare part shops for longer studs that can fit ur car. they will usually have studs as this is a wear and tear item after all. just not sure if any longer ones for ur specific car.

otherwise, ARP makes some super tough extended wheel studs... will be costly.

do note that if ur lugs are close ended and ur studs are too long, u will have to change over to open ended lugs as well...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
the one u posted looks like a safe option.. just dunno where to get

or u can just get longer studs...go to ur regular workshop and ask them about it....if they dunno.. ask around. normal OEM ones are not that expensive for the stud...labour wise different story. also can try asking spare part shops for longer studs that can fit ur car. they will usually have studs as this is a wear and tear item after all. just not sure if any longer ones for ur specific car.

otherwise, ARP makes some super tough extended wheel studs... will be costly.

do note that if ur lugs are close ended and ur studs are too long, u will have to change over to open ended lugs as well...
Yup, so best to get slightly longer will do.

Bro. ExceL, if changing the wheel studs remember to get the correct thread pitch too. Common size is 1.25 and 1.5, so get the ones same as your original so you can use back your lug nuts.

Oh! one more thing I just found. The picture of the lug nut you posted is for flat seat rims. Most of our rims are tapered cone seats. Here is link for your reference...
http://www.brandsport.com/howdoifirilu.html

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Its been a while..been out of modding since got kids..

Anyway, I have aftermarket wheels but the center is thicker, thus not enough of the stud is going thru.

Anyone have any idea to get something like this?:
https://www.carid.com/images/dorman/lug-nuts-locks/611-241.jpg

But ultimately, is it safe?
Besdies Danz vicious reply :biggrin: I think there's a few problems with your suggestion to get these deep type locknuts. Will they fit the rim holes? Some contis use this style, maybe can find them at halfcut to test test before committing.

And as an idiot who has changed longer lugs a few times on 3 different cars, I can tell you there are disadvantages to the longer lugs.

- Need to see your offset. If too much your lugs will be prone to snapping. I've had that happen to me twice.

- Be very careful when locking your nuts with longer studs. In my case I maxed out tightening the nuts and it still didn't reach all the way in and ended up with a wobbly rim which I didn't discover until I rotated the wheel on jacks. Had to shave the longer studs a bit.

- More stress on the studs means sometimes the nuts will be pretty hard to remove. Don't use air-gun to tighten if possible otherwise you'll be cursing and swearing if it snaps with the nut. I've had that happen so many goddamn times it's no longer funny.

Good luck bro.

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
I am trying to avoid changing studs, if it came to that I'm gonna set those wheels free (not free free tho)

I am aware of the lug type, mine are cone style, as I've heard from various workshop & other people using these extended lugs. But really having a tough time finding em. Why do I make things hard for myself, I dont know.

Izso - god damn it, you've crossed that bridge & survived..shall i cross now?:biggrin:

PS: I'm still recovering from DanzEterna's burn:bawling:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I am trying to avoid changing studs, if it came to that I'm gonna set those wheels free (not free free tho)

I am aware of the lug type, mine are cone style, as I've heard from various workshop & other people using these extended lugs. But really having a tough time finding em. Why do I make things hard for myself, I dont know.

Izso - god damn it, you've crossed that bridge & survived..shall i cross now?:biggrin:

PS: I'm still recovering from DanzEterna's burn:bawling:
Survived but went through hell man. Get really good quality studs if you do.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Besdies Danz vicious reply :biggrin: I think there's a few problems with your suggestion to get these deep type locknuts. Will they fit the rim holes? Some contis use this style, maybe can find them at halfcut to test test before committing.

- Be very careful when locking your nuts with longer studs. In my case I maxed out tightening the nuts and it still didn't reach all the way in and ended up with a wobbly rim which I didn't discover until I rotated the wheel on jacks. Had to shave the longer studs a bit.
Most Contis actually uses Lug screw
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=565150&stc=1&d=1497846327
As bro. Madman mentioned if studs too long need to use open end nuts.....:driver:

Attachments