Proton savy problem

V8lover

Known Member
Oct 26, 2008
I have a friend who has a Proton SAVY. He took the car to Proton Shah Alam for service twice, but they could not identify the problem. They changed the accelerator pedal and that was all they did. Here are the problems:

1) When the car is stationary, when the gear is in neutral, once a week, the SAVY's engine starts doing the REV of 3,500 RPM when the gear is engaged in "D". After 30 seconds, the gear indicator on the driver's panel starts shifting from "D" to "1", then "1" to "D", with the RPM dropping from 3,500RPM to around 1,200 RPM.

2) When the car is on the move, when the driver is not stepping on the accelerator, the SAVY starts doing around 4,000 RPM, providing a suddent surge of power to the car. The gear changes automatically, possibly shifting down when this happens.

3) When the car is on the move, the engine suddenly dies down, and shuts down completely. The brake does not work when this happens (well, it works but it takes the all your force and strength to slow down the car !!!!! DANGEROUS !!!!!). This happens when the car is doing 50km/ h or at any speed. The gear changes suddenly and the REV chages & the engine shuts down completely.

Proton in Shah Alam has not been too technical about this matter. To date, they have only changed the accelerator pedal, which has not solved any of the problems mentioned above. They have cleaned the Air Flow and checked out the sensors, but they have not managed to sort out the problem.

Is this due to ECU? Or is this due to the faulty gear box? Or electronics that controls the gear shift? Does anyone have any ideas?? It would be good if you could share some of your experience & knowledge.....Thanks !!!!

V8lover

Known Member
Oct 26, 2008
Thanks for your advice. However, the Mechanics in that big service centre in Shah Alam checked the ECU and said there is nothing wrong with the ECU.

They said they can't detect any faults in TCU either. They said that TCU costs RM 2,000.

Any other suggestions???

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
there is a component called modulator...try check whether is this the one causing the havoc. heard it cost bout rm12k....hope yr car still under warranty.

Zidane

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
I have a friend who has a Proton SAVY. He took the car to Proton Shah Alam for service twice, but they could not identify the problem. They changed the accelerator pedal and that was all they did. Here are the problems:

1) When the car is stationary, when the gear is in neutral, once a week, the SAVY's engine starts doing the REV of 3,500 RPM when the gear is engaged in "D". After 30 seconds, the gear indicator on the driver's panel starts shifting from "D" to "1", then "1" to "D", with the RPM dropping from 3,500RPM to around 1,200 RPM.

2) When the car is on the move, when the driver is not stepping on the accelerator, the SAVY starts doing around 4,000 RPM, providing a suddent surge of power to the car. The gear changes automatically, possibly shifting down when this happens.

3) When the car is on the move, the engine suddenly dies down, and shuts down completely. The brake does not work when this happens (well, it works but it takes the all your force and strength to slow down the car !!!!! DANGEROUS !!!!!). This happens when the car is doing 50km/ h or at any speed. The gear changes suddenly and the REV chages & the engine shuts down completely.

Proton in Shah Alam has not been too technical about this matter. To date, they have only changed the accelerator pedal, which has not solved any of the problems mentioned above. They have cleaned the Air Flow and checked out the sensors, but they have not managed to sort out the problem.

Is this due to ECU? Or is this due to the faulty gear box? Or electronics that controls the gear shift? Does anyone have any ideas?? It would be good if you could share some of your experience & knowledge.....Thanks !!!!
You can check savoc.net. Many proton Savvy owners there.

This is why i sold my Savvy. I was not confident of the expertise that proton has.

glowtron

Sep 10, 2007
looks like its the infamous AMT problem. I actually have a spare TCU, if there is a problem with the TCU, can sell it to you at much cheaper price compared to Proton.

V8lover

Known Member
Oct 26, 2008
EvolutionZ - thanks for your help- man, RM 12k??? my friend will flip when he hears this....oh man...haha...he really will get dipressed...

Zidane - thanks! i will check out this site right now...a good idea that you sold your savy!!

glowtron - oh i see. how much would that be? its actually my friend who wants to fix this problem - if you could let me know the price, i could tell him! thanks!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Trust me, I had the same expression as you, “WTF, is that real?” Well apparently it is real, the fact that its upside down that is. Taken at the Moscow International Airport, it is not known whether the car is real or made out of plastic, but I reckon it’s plastic. I doubt if Mercedes really would stick half a ton of E-Class on a ceiling. It’s a really good marketing propaganda if you ask me, we...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience