Aircond Compressor Draining Too Much Power?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I noticed that my Wira 4G15's air cond seems to drain a lot of power from my engine especially during hot afternoon. On night time, early morning or on cooler days even with air cond switched on and compressor kicking in, the power drain seems to be less obvious.

Like when the compressor is kicking in during hot afternoon time, I notice a reduction in torque where I feel that my revs will climb but the pulling feeling from torque is not there. When I switched the air cond off or when the compressor is not kicking in, I can feel the pulling feeling from torque again. Is this normal that the compressor will draw this much of power especially during hot days?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Also during hot time/days the air is hot. Early morning and night the air is cool and more dense. As you know cooler air always better for combustion.....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Also during hot time/days the air is hot. Early morning and night the air is cool and more dense. As you know cooler air always better for combustion.....lol
Yes, I understand this factor. But the underpowered effect is very noticeable during hot afternoon when air cond compressor kicks in while in cooler climate, even if the compressor kicks in, the drain is not so noticeable. Could it be that the air cond compressor is actually working harder during hot afternoon, hence the power drain from engine is larger?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes, I understand this factor. But the underpowered effect is very noticeable during hot afternoon when air cond compressor kicks in while in cooler climate, even if the compressor kicks in, the drain is not so noticeable. Could it be that the air cond compressor is actually working harder during hot afternoon, hence the power drain from engine is larger?
Work the same, longer time only to get to set temperature since is hotter outside.....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
You need to route ac blower to throttle body. :slug:
And you get balanced result. Power loss from compressor but compressor supplies cool air to increase back power. :biggrin:

Work the same, longer time only to get to set temperature since is hotter outside.....
I also noticed that if I left it idling or just drive at lower RPM, the air doesn't really feel cold and the compressor is kicking in all the time. But when I really rev the engine hard to like 4000 rpm and above, the air gets cold after that. Compressor also will not kick in all the time. Is it because the compressor gets more power from higher RPM?

on modern cars, you dont feel the power lost when the compressor kicks in. not even a drop in the rpm while idling. but that's on a new car la. hahaha :driver:
Hmmm, why? :confused:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I also noticed that if I left it idling or just drive at lower RPM, the air doesn't really feel cold and the compressor is kicking in all the time. But when I really rev the engine hard to like 4000 rpm and above, the air gets cold after that. Compressor also will not kick in all the time. Is it because the compressor gets more power from higher RPM?
Compressor mah! The more rpm means more air con gas is circulated hence the air con is cooler.......lol

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
on modern cars, you dont feel the power lost when the compressor kicks in. not even a drop in the rpm while idling. but that's on a new car la. hahaha :driver:
You try driving with and without the air con on, sure to have difference in power......lol

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
this one i full agree. :biggrin:
for an old engine in exchange for power, is ok lah. Hahahaha....:driver:

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
You try driving with and without the air con on, sure to have difference in power......lol
surprisingly on the jazz got no difference. like the ac compressor doesnt exist. LOL. oh, the new 2016 jazz no water temp gauge on the meter. just outside temperature only. dunno can set that to water temp or not. :hmmmm:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
surprisingly on the jazz got no difference. like the ac compressor doesnt exist. LOL. oh, the new 2016 jazz no water temp gauge on the meter. just outside temperature only. dunno can set that to water temp or not. :hmmmm:
yup, feel notin.
Felt something missing, like the engine vibrate the car ehh ? hahaha...:listen:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Many new makes do not have the water temp meter dy. blue then warm up disappear, by the time red color appears may be too late.....lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Focal Point would like to wish all our muslim customers, supporters and loyalists SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDILFITRI. Drive safely. Share your love and kindness everywhere. Have a good celebration. Thank you for the solid support. Cheers!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience