Need Recommendations for Car Battery

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Wet batteries should be much cheaper, I can get my same size for just around rm130-140.
You are using N40/NS60 size so be careful when they are too cheap. Way back I was working in battery manufacturing firm. Expensive/Good NS60 can have up to 13 plates per compartment, Normal is 11 plates. Cheaper version are 9 plates, not sure if maybe they even reduce them to 7 plates.......lol:smokin:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
btw... my older battery is INCOE brand... that was said got extra plate than other normal battery...

could that was the cause giving me longer lifespan eventhough it was downsized (from oem spec 55D23L) in my car last time... :smokin::hmmmm:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
On my Mark X there's like a plastic casing that wrap around the battery. It also sits just right in front of the firewall and behind a fuse box which kinda shield it a bit from the engine. Maybe I can try make additional shield if possible.

NS40 actually can get below rm160 for most MF batteries.

Anyway, to update you all, I actually now already bought a new Century Ultramax NS60L for rm200 all inclusive, and no charge for using credit card. I bought it from Kochi Batteries nearby Subang. Was tempted coz it's the best price I can get for the Ultramax and the cheapest battery with 21 month warranty. The spec says 443 CCA which seems to be one of the highest for NS60L but not sure if true or not. Was thinking about the Amaron but price is more expensive (around rm250) for the Hi-Life type with 18 month warranty.

Anyway thank you all for the recommendations. We can still continue to talk and share using this thread though.
I do that for all my batteries that are in the engine bay. Wrap in superlon and reflective material. Keeps the battery relatively cooler and seems to last longer. The plastic cover alone isn't enough. Wanna wrap go extreme! Hehehe. Superlon + alu tape.

Ultramax u need to be careful. This range of Century is infamous for dying exactly after warranty. They don't seem to last very long. Once you reach the 1 year marker - keep a watch out for this battery. Last time it just stopped working for me, no warning, no tell-tale signs, nothing. Apparently it's a thing for this battery.

izso just changed to amaron... anybody been using amaron? as in have some history of its lifespan

i used Bosch Mega Power Silver S5 or some crap the high end one..really crap.. kaput right on the dot after warranty. Yuasa Wet.. also so so... GP made in Korea surprisingly not too bad but quite expensive..

Century Marathoner.. inconsistent.. Now I'm using some Yokohama co-branded..Yokobatt... seems like next round I'll go for Amaron..thanks for sharing izso
I've only ever used Bosch S5 once - don't remember if it's any good. GP is good yeah. But hard to source, I haven't seen anyone hold that brand for a while now.

Incidentally, the Panasonic that I just changed out was a Feb 2015 battery. So not too bad for 2 years of usage and gradually dying off rather than instant death. So far out of my 4 current cars (5 including the one I just sold) 3 running Amarons and 2 Panasonics. The Panasonics are all close to 3 years now and the Amarons are sub 1 year so can't give much feedback. All the entry level Amarons, not the high amp one.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
btw... my older battery is INCOE brand... that was said got extra plate than other normal battery...

could that was the cause giving me longer lifespan eventhough it was downsized (from oem spec 55D23L) in my car last time... :smokin::hmmmm:
More plates, more juice......lol

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I do that for all my batteries that are in the engine bay. Wrap in superlon and reflective material. Keeps the battery relatively cooler and seems to last longer. The plastic cover alone isn't enough. Wanna wrap go extreme! Hehehe. Superlon + alu tape.

Ultramax u need to be careful. This range of Century is infamous for dying exactly after warranty. They don't seem to last very long. Once you reach the 1 year marker - keep a watch out for this battery. Last time it just stopped working for me, no warning, no tell-tale signs, nothing. Apparently it's a thing for this battery.
What I did for mine is to block the air flow from the radiator fan using the aluminum sheet bought from Daiso. These sheets are meant for use in the kitchen cook stove to block oil splattering etc. Measure and cut to size wrapping a cardboard inside then fitted to block hot air hitting the battery. So far looks like proven as my Chery battery lasted 3 and a half years. Hyundai one 3 years 3 months and VR one already pass 2 years. Those days before heat shield mod max around 2 years only.

For my Chery SUV I did try out the Ultramax, suppose to warranty 21 months but died at 18 months. Send for claim and that was where the shop personnel mentioned the battery was very hot. They gave me a Marathoner in exchange and that was the one that lasted 3 and a half years with heat shield....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
You are using N40/NS60 size so be careful when they are too cheap. Way back I was working in battery manufacturing firm. Expensive/Good NS60 can have up to 13 plates per compartment, Normal is 11 plates. Cheaper version are 9 plates, not sure if maybe they even reduce them to 7 plates.......lol:smokin:
Well I meant for those popular common brands. For wet battery, we can take a peek thru the water hole to see right?

I've only ever used Bosch S5 once - don't remember if it's any good. GP is good yeah. But hard to source, I haven't seen anyone hold that brand for a while now.

Incidentally, the Panasonic that I just changed out was a Feb 2015 battery. So not too bad for 2 years of usage and gradually dying off rather than instant death. So far out of my 4 current cars (5 including the one I just sold) 3 running Amarons and 2 Panasonics. The Panasonics are all close to 3 years now and the Amarons are sub 1 year so can't give much feedback. All the entry level Amarons, not the high amp one.
Oh so you've used the Ultramax too? Hmm we'll just have to see then. My previous Marathoner gave some signs but quite quickly, unlike the Yokohama (but the Yokohama was used on the smaller Livina).

GP is good too? Actually there are many selling this brand but I just could not find any specs or reviews on it hence I pass this time.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
What I did for mine is to block the air flow from the radiator fan using the aluminum sheet bought from Daiso. These sheets are meant for use in the kitchen cook stove to block oil splattering etc. Measure and cut to size wrapping a cardboard inside then fitted to block hot air hitting the battery. So far looks like proven as my Chery battery lasted 3 and a half years. Hyundai one 3 years 3 months and VR one already pass 2 years. Those days before heat shield mod max around 2 years only.

For my Chery SUV I did try out the Ultramax, suppose to warranty 21 months but died at 18 months. Send for claim and that was where the shop personnel mentioned the battery was very hot. They gave me a Marathoner in exchange and that was the one that lasted 3 and a half years with heat shield....
Yeah I know those aluminum sheets, I had used once before for the kitchen! I'll try make the shield for my batteries later.

Oh you also had used Ultramax once before. As long as it died during warranty then still ok, not right after warranty!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well I meant for those popular common brands. For wet battery, we can take a peek thru the water hole to see right?
Yup, for wet type can see from the filler hole. Both ends are the negative plates, separated by a separator sheet, so count individually.

Actually for MF battery there are filler holes too. They are under the sticker. Peel the sticker and you will see the filler holes. There will be 6 flat caps over the holes. However if you peel that off can void warranty......hhahahhahahha

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

Sounds like the Panasonics are quite amazing, are they more expensive than the Amarons? And where you get em'

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Oh ya, aside form those I mentioned at the start of this thread, I think I've used a brand called Aurora as well. This one was the battery that came new with my Mark X when I bought it. I think it's decent, lasted over 2 years but it only gave a little sign of weakening before it went dead.

Example is like this below on sale in Lazada:
http://www.lazada.com.my/aurora-ns6...category-120123000000.0.0.ReGtTv&ff=1&sc=EY4M

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Anybody used Toyota batery? want to know if it will be better compared to Century or etc
Don't think they manufacture their own, so is OEM from a battery manufacturer, so likely to me, is the same as after market.
Also used many brands before, all almost the same service life, but lately with heat shield they last much longer.....:driver:

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Hi All,

My previous battery lasted 4 1/2 years ( NS70 ). Car only has a radio player ( No amp ) and recently fitted led tail lamp with custom wiring.

So I change to NS40 Century and it lasted only for a month, trade in for NS70 Century lasted probably 5 months.

I barely drive the car but I start at least once/twice a week. Doubt it is the starter as I could crank easily during jump start and volt meter from outside and inside stated charging about 13.7v without aircon and headlight (alternator).

Therefore,

1) What would be the symptom for a week starter ?
2) Besides alternator, what other component should I check for this issue ? Alternator should be ok as there is no sign of dying during driving nor idle.
3) I will change another battery soon and sent for leakage checking. Any other component to take note. :driver:

Last edited:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Don't think they manufacture their own, so is OEM from a battery manufacturer, so likely to me, is the same as after market.
Also used many brands before, all almost the same service life, but lately with heat shield they last much longer.....:driver:
habislah, my battery will probably have a very short life

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Car: Proton Perdana V6 '06-'07 version...
Colour: Black
Reg. Number: WPT 8882

this is my friend's car...
post on behalf of him...
if anyone happened to locate this car, kindly contact the owner at 0176608412 or kindly pm me...
TQ.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience