Now Is Not The Time To Buy Cars

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
While there's never a good time to buy cars -- cause newer, nicer and better cars keep coming out. I feel it is especially true between 2017 to 2019 (I feel).

Reason being is that other countries already have adaptive cruise control, autonomous braking, and even auto pilot.

Here on the full spec or high end cars you get blind spot detection, cross traffic alert, reverse camera etc. But it's sad when a full spec Civic in Malaysia is just the poverty pack in USA.

My estimation is that by end 2019 we might see better equipped cars, and Hyundai/Kia will lead the battle. Especially Hyundai now with its Ioniq.

Cars like Civic are still stupid. Mazda 3 less stupid. I look at the market now I don't know what car to buy cause they are all stupid, and I can't afford the smart ones like S-Class.

I should just buy a retarded Lotus Elise and call it a day.

Attachments

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Remember, the smarter the car is, the more care and attention it needs. Not to mention high on maintenance cost if any of these equipment fails. At this rate, people won't really hold on to cars for a long period of time after its warranty period ends unlike older cars.

But this is a subjective kind of thing, I apologize if I sound offensive.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Remember, the smarter the car is, the more care and attention it needs. Not to mention high on maintenance cost if any of these equipment fails. At this rate, people won't really hold on to cars for a long period of time after its warranty period ends unlike older cars.

But this is a subjective kind of thing, I apologize if I sound offensive.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
depend on our criteria loh.....
every year new model come out, new upgrade (meaningless) than previous.
how to follow the trend ?
2 choice, either the car gain us new skills, or we just sit to drive.
I need aids in sleepy eye monitoring and out of straight line alarm :sleep:. The rest, we human can control.
Driving manual shift, can avoid / lessen handphone usage.
The more electronics safety, auto pilot, auto parking...etc. The more we on hp/fap/ while driving

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
As you have mentioned there is never an ending for technology. Today you buy tomorrow something news comes out. You buy that, next day something newer comes out. So if it fits you criteria buy, if not don't.
I bought my VR as an A/T SOHC, then when gearbox kaput transplant VR in and have already kept it for 17 years. What new technology also did not change it.....lol:biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
As you have mentioned there is never an ending for technology. Today you buy tomorrow something news comes out. You buy that, next day something newer comes out. So if it fits you criteria buy, if not don't.
I bought my VR as an A/T SOHC, then when gearbox kaput transplant VR in and have already kept it for 17 years. What new technology also did not change it.....lol:biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah I say if you find something that already fits your criteria and budget then nothing wrong to buy. See which car has the most useful practical features for you as you may not need all of them. I personally don't like/need most of those features which relate to driver assistance, except ABS & maybe VSC (even my car now doesn't have VSC yet). Most of those features actually try to compensate for driver's incompetence, so if you're already a good driver then no need those driver's assistance. More features means more complicated system and sensors hence higher risk of problems too, so I prefer simpler (or in Ixeo's word more 'stupid') cars actually. :biggrin:

So Ixeo, looking forward to check out your Elise then! :biggrin: :driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yeah I say if you find something that already fits your criteria and budget then nothing wrong to buy. See which car has the most useful practical features for you as you may not need all of them. I personally don't like/need most of those features which relate to driver assistance, except ABS & maybe VSC (even my car now doesn't have VSC yet). Most of those features actually try to compensate for driver's incompetence, so if you're already a good driver then no need those driver's assistance. More features means more complicated system and sensors hence higher risk of problems too, so I prefer simpler (or in Ixeo's word more 'stupid') cars actually. :biggrin:

So Ixeo, looking forward to check out your Elise then! :biggrin: :driver:
At the end, he concluded that he should just get an Elise which is sort of like a very basic car with minimal driving assistance. :biggrin:

I agree with you about all these features trying to compensate for driver's incompetence. On theory, it is good because it gives the driver a larger safety net for them to operate their cars. But like you said, more complicated system and sensors also means a higher risk of problems. So, if these driving assistance fails, can a new generation driver that has gotten too used to all these assistance handle the car without them?

But alas, our kind of thinking probably just represents the minority compared to so many people out there. Manufacturers will continue adding features after features into new cars and us as car and driving enthusiasts can do nothing much about it. In business perspective, that is the way for them to go. To cater for the majority not the minority.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Correct. But I feel that after the current wave of "smart" cars.. the next wave is driverless cars. Subscription based, where we "buy" a car from a car company like Ford but we don't own the car, think of it like Uber without a driver.

By then we don't really need to "own" a car, we just get from point A to point B.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i prefer analogue car....

better for me to work on it... so no...would never buy other car within this 10years or so....

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
If I may add, don't ever look for basic spec car....Buy the best spec u can afford so u can enjoy it longer....as a constant reminder to myself, my current 11 years old car have simple spec like auto light, auto wipers, tire pressure monitor where most new cars still don't have....not to mentioned the more complicated things like brake energy regeneration, live T.V, multifunction steering so on.....

I still enjoy it every single time I drive even though its over a decade car & its worth getting the high spec car

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It hasn’t been that long really but the engineers at Nissan already have a round of improvements in store for next year’s 370Z as well as for the Nismo version.

However, the changes are limited to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience