My UK visit

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
I am from the UK, but I live in Thailand now.

Last month I went back to the UK for 4 weeks to see friends and family and a few people have interesting cars so I thought I would post some pics if anyone is interested.

First, my rental car, 1.4 turbo Vauxhall Corsa SR

Last time I was in the UK, my Sister and Brother in Law had a nice BMW 5 series Estate but that is gone and they now have this!

All electric Tesla, as a petrol head I am not sure I approve but the acceleration is awesome, unfortunately I could not try driving it myself because I was not on the insurance.

My cousin's VW surf van

Since I was in the UK last time my brother bought an old 928, the V8 sounds amazing

another friend got this totally original e30 325i, shame it is not a 2 door though

Went to see my old mechanic and a few interesting projects he has along with this racing E36 M3

Anyway back in Asia now so modding my Lancer will resume soon :driver:

cheers

Attachments

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
that 928 looks really good actually

more photos please, and more of Thailand when you return

I am back now, my car fired up when I reconnected the battery but haven't cleaned it yet, will take more pics when it clean

cheers

Attachments

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
hey.. my lil brother studying in Leeds....

haha

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Jay Lancer, are you of asian descent.
No, I am 100% Caucasian from UK (might have some French blood also from my real dad who I didn't know), but I have lived in Asia, This time in Thailand for over 2.5 years and previously for a work assignment in Singapore.

I have attended some classes and done some self study and speak some Thai, and can read and write very basic Thai very slowly (I have not really mastered all the rules about how the vowels work yet though). I can communicate OK for many everyday things in Thai but I do not sound natural or fluent, I can talk to my GF mum who speaks no English, for example, but when my GF talks to her mum or her friends more quickly and using more difficult words I don't understand much. Also when I went to mod my car here, many shop's don't speak English but I have a Thai American friend who is also into cars so I take him along to help.

cheers

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Jeez, singapore is really not a good place to own a car..especially old ones..
Yes, I was only there for a few months for a work assignment for a Bank, so I didn't have a car. I understand it costs nearly the cost of a car to buy the COE to allow you to own it for 10 years, and the rules about mods are very restrictive.

When they work assignment was finished I traveled round the region for a few months back-packer style, that was back in 2005 and feel in love with the idea of moving here. It took me 10 years to get to the point of achieving it in 2015 :)

cheers

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
In that respect, I cant see myself being a singaporean, as car guy that isnt well off.
At least in malaysia, anyone is free to buy a 20+ year old car for RM 3-5K, without much hassle, and drive it anywhere around the country. No yearly inspections needed,unless you let the road tax lapse for 6 months or more.
Malaysia's road tax laws are stupid and restrictive though.