Launch: 2017 Subaru Impreza makes regional appearance!

Amirul

Resident Journalist
Jun 7, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
www.zerotohundred.com

The all-new 2017 Subaru Impreza just made its regional appearance at the Singapore Motorshow 2017 this weekend. It was launched by Motor Image - the exclusive distributor of Subaru vehicles across 9 countries in Asia – together with the introduction of the new Subaru Global Platform.

The 5<sup>th</sup> generation Subaru Impreza is the first Subaru model to employ the new Subaru Global Platform, which will be the brand’s core architecture element for the next decade, at least.

Apart from the new platform, the 2017 Subaru Impreza incorporates the combination of Subaru’s well-known boxer engine, all-wheel drive system, steering responsive headlights and safety features like the Subaru Rear/Side Vehicle Detection (SRVD). This contributed to the honouring of the much-coveted title of 2016-2017 Japan Car of the Year award.

The new Subaru Impreza will be available in the options of 4-door sedan and 5-door hatchback, with powerplant selection of either a 1.6-litre port injection or 2.0-litre direct injection, both naturally-aspirated mills.

2017 Subaru Impreza

Engine:
1.6-litre port injection horizontally-opposed naturally-aspirated or 2.0-litre direct injection horizontally-opposed naturally-aspirated
Power: 1.6i-S: 114hp at 5,600 rpm; 2.0i-S: 153hp at 6,000 rpm
Torque: 1.6i-S: 150Nm at 3,600 rpm; 2.0i-S: 196Nm at 4,000 rpm
Zerotohundred: n/a
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT
Dimensions: 4,625mm (L), 1,775mm (W), 1,455mm (H)
Weight from: n/a
Price: To be announced

Exterior

The new Subaru Impreza embodies the brand’s Dynamic X Solid design approach for its exterior and interior. The front fascia works well with Subaru’s contemporary models, with hexagonal front grille flanked by a pair of squarish headlights with distinctive sharp C-shaped daytime running lights. Combined with the new housing on the front fog lights, the front of the new Impreza is now more pronounced.

New exterior feature to the Impreza is the Steering Responsive Headlights, available on the 1.6i-S and 2.0i-S models. The base 1.6i receive halogen units. At the rear, the new Impreza gets LED tail lights with standardly-equipped rear fog lights. All 5-door models are fitted with a roof spoiler.

Interior

Following similar philosophy as the exterior, the interior of the 2017 Subaru Impreza combines sporty and sophisticated elements, indicated by details like stitching on the instrument panels and the 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system.

Standard equipment on the new Impreza includes tilt-adjustable and telescopic steering wheel, USB and auxiliary audio jacks, voice recognition command, infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Bluetooth compatible hands-free.

The 1.6i-S and 2.0i-S models will get you a more complete package, it adds aluminium pedals, automatic air-con with dual zone, power-adjustable driver’s seat, 60/40 split-folding rear seats, multi-function steering wheel with cruise control, rain sensing wipers and smart entry with push start button. However, paddle-shifters are exclusive to the 2.0i-S.

Chassis and suspension

Now, to the highlight of the car. The 2017 Subaru Impreza is built on the all-new Subaru Global Platform which is engineered with safety, comfort, performance and driving dynamics in mind. Of course it is not an easy task to meet all the goals as a car is usually developed with one or few focused objectives. A family car may be produced with comfort-biased handling. You get what I am saying, right?

However, for the new Impreza, Subaru engineers have managed to bring together comfort and dynamic driving where the chassis obey its driver’s inputs without behaving like a track car.

According to Takuji Dai, the corporate vice president of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd, the team has improved the chassis rigidity by 170% with the usage of 55% more high-tensile steel. In addition, the rear stabilizer bar is now body-mounted to reduce body roll and amplify the driving feedback. As a result, the 2017 Subaru Impreza is now said to have a more responsive handling and a more refined ride.

The new Impreza features MacPherson strut for the front suspension and double wishbone setup at the rear. The 1.6i-S and 2.0i-S wear 2015/50 tyres on the 17-inch wheels while the 1.6i gets 16-inch wheels wrapped in 205/55 tyres.

Engine and transmission

The new Impreza 1.6i and 1.6i-S produce a healthy 114hp/150Nm from its 1.6-litre port fuel injection boxer engine and the range-topping 2.0i-S churns out 153hp/196Nm from a 2.0-litre direct injection boxer engine. The output is channelled to all 4 wheels via a Lineartronic CVT and Subaru’s Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system.

Safety

The new Subaru Impreza is fitted with decent amount of safety features consists of blind spot detection, auto dimming rear view mirror, auto headlights, high beam assist, lane change assist, hill holder, rear cross-traffic alert and one touch turn signal.

Attachments

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Good to know that they decided to use double wishbone for the rear suspension.

Waiting for Subaru Japan to unveil the WRX and WRX STI version for this generation.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

Amirul

Resident Journalist
Jun 7, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
www.zerotohundred.com
budget friendly ? to compete with ford focus ..... ?
Not sure about being budget-friendly, but the Focus is technically one of the direct rivals to the Impreza. In an exclusive media test drive after the launch, we pitted the new Impreza in different courses against models like the Audi A3 sedan, Mazda 3 hatchback and VW Golf TSI.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Lovely car, ridiculous pricing here. I cannot understand why.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello Sir I'm planning to Turbo my 4G93 SOHC. I have Mitsubishi lancer 2006 model with me. I'm not Malaysian but I live in Malaysia as a student. My brother is doing this project in my country Pakistan. Currently in Pakistan Mitsubishi Lancer 2003 model onwards are equipped with 4G15 the new generation. Which is without distributor and is with equipped with two coil. Currently I have swapped 4G93 SOHC the new generation which is also without distributor. The engine came with automatic...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience