Vq25 neo

May 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Dear all, i am driving a A33 3.0 cefiro and the engine is gone recently due to gasket and engine heads problems. So I am now in great dilemma whether to change the heads alone (new) or the entire engine to VQ25 NEO. The price for both solutions are same.

Basically my engine is still ok with total mileague 113k KM, and the half cut of NEO looks cool but the mileague does not seem ok to me ---> 180K KM. Of course it would save a lot for me in road tax if i convert to 2.5. However, I have never seen this model before so would ask for your opinions on this engine as well as which solutions would you choose if you were me. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
you first say engine gone, then ok so is it ok or not?

the 2.5L can be from a wagon or sedan in japan. you better use the complete wiring and g.box from the 1/2 cut.

bryancmc

May 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
you first say engine gone, then ok so is it ok or not?

the 2.5L can be from a wagon or sedan in japan. you better use the complete wiring and g.box from the 1/2 cut.
Only the heads and gasket are gone, the rest are still good and smooth.

What's the different if the half cut is from a sedan and wagon??

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Dear all, i am driving a A33 3.0 cefiro and the engine is gone recently due to gasket and engine heads problems. So I am now in great dilemma whether to change the heads alone (new) or the entire engine to VQ25 NEO. The price for both solutions are same.

Basically my engine is still ok with total mileague 113k KM, and the half cut of NEO looks cool but the mileague does not seem ok to me ---> 180K KM. Of course it would save a lot for me in road tax if i convert to 2.5. However, I have never seen this model before so would ask for your opinions on this engine as well as which solutions would you choose if you were me. Thanks a lot!
I'd go for the NEO 2.5. First of all you get almost the same horses with your VQ30 (around 210hp!) but paying cheaper road tax. Secondly , its not recommended to do a head job or replacing gasket for the VQs. Even if some mech offer you to do it, I'm sure there will be lots of hiccups thereafter. (ie; noisy timing chains, lose of power, noisy hydraulic lifters,rough idling, overheating,etc). These information were gathered from previous fatty owners who opted for head/gasket replacement over engine swap.
However, if you opt for engine swap make sure you change everything from the neo 2.5 halfcut from ECU, wiring harness, engine , gearbox(ecu) , drive shaft, front suspension, disc brakes, abs, sensors, etc. (er..almost, you can return the body and frame to the chop shop).Otherwise you would face some running issues later on.

armanan32

Jan 1, 2010
Johor Bahru
I'd go for the NEO 2.5. First of all you get almost the same horses with your VQ30 (around 210hp!) but paying cheaper road tax. Secondly , its not recommended to do a head job or replacing gasket for the VQs. Even if some mech offer you to do it, I'm sure there will be lots of hiccups thereafter. (ie; noisy timing chains, lose of power, noisy hydraulic lifters,rough idling, overheating,etc). These information were gathered from previous fatty owners who opted for head/gasket replacement over engine swap.
However, if you opt for engine swap make sure you change everything from the neo 2.5 halfcut from ECU, wiring harness, engine , gearbox(ecu) , drive shaft, front suspension, disc brakes, abs, sensors, etc. (er..almost, you can return the body and frame to the chop shop).Otherwise you would face some running issues later on.
I agree.....it is a better option to do swap with VQ25 Neo. It save you a lot of head comparing with head jobs. These, any mech. will say go head work/repair....get quick money, give you 1 week warranty and after than your head work gone bungkus.....you left with nothing....BTW what is the price you pay for the VQ25 Neo? I am planning to get one for my Sonata.....:burnout:

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
you get about same HP for 2.5VQ with 3.0VQ if you compare 2.5L from a33 with 3.0L A32, the A33 3L will have more hp, and furthermore 3L give more torque, and torque is the fun of driving.

bryancmc

May 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I agree.....it is a better option to do swap with VQ25 Neo. It save you a lot of head comparing with head jobs. These, any mech. will say go head work/repair....get quick money, give you 1 week warranty and after than your head work gone bungkus.....you left with nothing....BTW what is the price you pay for the VQ25 Neo? I am planning to get one for my Sonata.....:burnout:
Yeah i had decided to transplant the engine. But man, I called more than 7 wireman but only one of the top dog on town is willing to accept this job at RM1K+.....for the wiring alone! Heard that he is the best in JB and no one else can handle this job better. Hope I was not getting the wrong man!

The half-cut cost me RM5500 after trade in my poor 3.0 engine..........so, i think it will cost me more than 8k after the wiring and workmanship, engine oils and etc.......what a pain!

doraemon98

Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
Penang
What cause of the engine gasket and engine heads to problems? 113kkm is still very new, its less than 6 years for average.

Last edited:

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
i think you got chop... same car and same model difference engine don't need lots of wiring work. and i feel the 1/2 cut is a bit high price, whats the mileage of the 1/2 cut. I got my a32 3L 1/2 cut only 4k and fyi 3L 1/2 cut and engine is always more expensive than 2L and 2.5 cause is not many 3L in japan.

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
search for another 1/2 cut, 180 for 5.5k seem to high to me, unless the condition really good. my a32 3L 1/2 cut only clock 75kkm, and the engine bay is really in superb condition. a33 is newer and should e able get a better one.

meazmi

Jun 9, 2010
shah alam
hi,
found 1 25neo half cut price rm4500..dunno the mileage..its fitted on new facelift cefi..the half cut just arrived last week at this cut shop..maybe you can have a look on this 1...Evolution cut shop opposite petronas kg subang..

actually plan to change my ori a33 vip bumper to this one, but not approved by cfo :rolleyes:

armanan32

Jan 1, 2010
Johor Bahru
hi,
found 1 25neo half cut price rm4500..dunno the mileage..its fitted on new facelift cefi..the half cut just arrived last week at this cut shop..maybe you can have a look on this 1...Evolution cut shop opposite petronas kg subang..

actually plan to change my ori a33 vip bumper to this one, but not approved by cfo :rolleyes:
Brother meazmi;

Can you post the picture? Will be good too if you can get me the dimension of the engine bay and dash. You knowlah....I want to convert my Sonata to Nissan....it is like a Korean becoming a Japanese.....:biggrin:

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
Yeah i had decided to transplant the engine. But man, I called more than 7 wireman but only one of the top dog on town is willing to accept this job at RM1K+.....for the wiring alone! Heard that he is the best in JB and no one else can handle this job better. Hope I was not getting the wrong man!

The half-cut cost me RM5500 after trade in my poor 3.0 engine..........so, i think it will cost me more than 8k after the wiring and workmanship, engine oils and etc.......what a pain!
Yes , wiring for the vq engine must be very, very accurate coz a loose wire will make your car run with many problems and your wireman pulling his hair out! Wiring for VQs really need the best man to undertake the job. Wow ! neo vq cost so much after trade in? Really blood suckers those chop shops! If you are not in a hurry ( to swap engine) try to scout other chop shops, you might find a cheaper and lower mileage one. Although my engine not the NEO version , it had only 85k mileage and cost me RM4.5k to purchase, install & wire up the engine. That was many years ago . Maybe secondhand parts have increase prices over the years due to Malaysia Boleh!:biggrin: