Turbo Without Intercooler

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
Hi Bro's and Sifu's

I was just wondering how a turbo car can run without an Intercooler (or any form of cooling system for the air ) to cool down the air coming into the TB from the burning hot turbine ? Yes it will run but for how long ???

This can be seen on the old skol Hyundai Coupe ... Made by Hyundai a turbo charged engine without an Intercooler ... An it works fine !!! :banghead: Im confused ... I doubt that they made a cooling system for the turbine housing ... Even at low boost the temp. of the air will still be hot ... How is this possible ??? 10 Layer radiator to counter the engine from heating up???

I plan to BOT my Peugeot 206 1.4 and found this on Youtube (IF IM NOT MISTAKEN THIS SETUP ALSO HAS NO INTERCOOLER BUT CUSTOM MADE) ... Please drop ur comments about Turbo cars without Intercoolers and their Pro's and Con's ... :wavey:

YouTube - barulho do motor de um 206 1.4 turbo

Long Live Motorsports ... :driver:

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
custom very CAI and low boost i guess(maybe 0.3 bar)..lol

allance

Known Member
May 12, 2009
if turbo lower than 0.5bar boost can run without intercooler, bcos air temp is still lower n safe for ur engine! supercharger is 0.7bar can run without intercooler safely!

without intercooler= better responsive but lose max hp output
with intercooler = increase hp n can run more boost

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
Hi Bro's and Sifu's

I was just wondering how a turbo car can run without an Intercooler (or any form of cooling system for the air ) to cool down the air coming into the TB from the burning hot turbine ? Yes it will run but for how long ???
for low boost applications (less than 0.4 bar) you can opt NOT to install an intercooler. but if you do, it'll lower the compressed air temp more, which will translate in a better system.

but why you wanna BOT without using an intercooler (which is so cheap & so easily bought nowadays) is beyond me?

1st of all, it's a BOT, right? so it does not need to be a big , lag-inducing intercooler. you're limited to low boost (less than 0.6 bar) anyway. a small k-car sized one would do...really

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
if turbo lower than 0.5bar boost can run without intercooler, bcos air temp is still lower n safe for ur engine! supercharger is 0.7bar can run without intercooler safely!

without intercooler= better responsive but lose max hp output
with intercooler = increase hp n can run more boost
Thx bro for the info ... Supercharger cannot compare to turbo cause supercharger use pulley system and the heat can only be caused by friction or engine bay heat ... Turbo is the heat coming out of the combustion chamber itself ... but then if 0.5 can run without i/c .. good enough ... :biggrin: im edy happy ...

for low boost applications (less than 0.4 bar) you can opt NOT to install an intercooler. but if you do, it'll lower the compressed air temp more, which will translate in a better system.

but why you wanna BOT without using an intercooler (which is so cheap & so easily bought nowadays) is beyond me?

1st of all, it's a BOT, right? so it does not need to be a big , lag-inducing intercooler. you're limited to low boost (less than 0.6 bar) anyway. a small k-car sized one would do...really
Bro i coundnt agree more with u on the "why BOT without i/c" ... that is so true ... cost also how much only for i/c and piping ... but the main problem im facing is lack of space to do fmic (trust me ... i measured with L2 i/c also problem) ... i tried to measure for tmic but then that would mean i would have to do an air scoop on the bonet ... still no space :banghead: ... plus if i were to do so ... that would mean i/m leaving my ECU's in the engine bay vulnerable to water if car wash or if it rains ... most of the ECU for the 206 is in the engine bay and the engine bay itself cannot be sprayed with water ... :banghead:

so can i safely BOT the car at 0.5bar without and intercooler ?? :confused:

Thx bro for the info :driver:

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
so tis peugeot 206 same as naza bestari 206 rite...if so u chk back hypertune but i 4got wic issue edi...theres a bestari bot done by RS Impressive

btw...if bolt on 0.3bar witout blowoff o anything even better...silent killer...

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
Thx bro for the info ... Supercharger cannot compare to turbo cause supercharger use pulley system and the heat can only be caused by friction or engine bay heat ... Turbo is the heat coming out of the combustion chamber itself ... but then if 0.5 can run without i/c .. good enough ... :biggrin: im edy happy ...

Bro i coundnt agree more with u on the "why BOT without i/c" ... that is so true ... cost also how much only for i/c and piping ... but the main problem im facing is lack of space to do fmic (trust me ... i measured with L2 i/c also problem) ... i tried to measure for tmic but then that would mean i would have to do an air scoop on the bonet ... still no space :banghead: ... plus if i were to do so ... that would mean i/m leaving my ECU's in the engine bay vulnerable to water if car wash or if it rains ... most of the ECU for the 206 is in the engine bay and the engine bay itself cannot be sprayed with water ... :banghead:

so can i safely BOT the car at 0.5bar without and intercooler ?? :confused:

Thx bro for the info :driver:
bro, i'd stick to lower boost, to avoid detonation.
do things right the 1st time you do it. problem with BOT is you always tempted to boost a liiiiiiitle bit higher. dat's why an intercooler was an option.

i oso think you haf to consider a custom intercooler for yur application. this is for a 206.
DP-engineering

if you haven't been here, check out what they did..
Peugeot 206 GTi 2.0 16v Turbo | DP-engineering

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
so tis peugeot 206 same as naza bestari 206 rite...if so u chk back hypertune but i 4got wic issue edi...theres a bestari bot done by RS Impressive

btw...if bolt on 0.3bar witout blowoff o anything even better...silent killer...
bro, 0.3bar cannot be silent killer la..haha..

chrissyong

500 RPM
Aug 14, 2007
if without blow off valve the return pressure also can going out from your air filter,if wont believe u can try it your self~

unknown1x

Known Member
Sep 26, 2006
ah.. i drive an OLD OLD hyundai 1.5 with turbo. i can run 1-1.2 bar without intercooler..
but i scared la deep inside me.. its best if you have one..
and it will perform much better if you have at least one small intercooler like kancil type...

* bside.. i only boost that hight at night... hot days drive slow slow.. 0.5-0.8.

allance

Known Member
May 12, 2009
i think air fuel ratio very important , if u got lower boost but u run ARF too lean also can damange ur engine. fuel can cool down air temp inside cylinder!

chrissyong

500 RPM
Aug 14, 2007
i think air fuel ratio very important , if u got lower boost but u run ARF too lean also can damange ur engine. fuel can cool down air temp inside cylinder!
that the way,u got the point,fuel can let piston cold down,a/f ratio is very important thing,any engine na or turbocharger engine running a/f ratio too lean also will damage piston,more octane more cold and more power~

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

but better have intercooler and blow off valve man~

chrissyong

500 RPM
Aug 14, 2007
i think turbo carburator engine cant intercooler rite??
correct me if wrong :)
how come carburetor turbo don have intercooler?the old school lancer a175 is what engine?also got intercooler rite?

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

i think turbo carburator engine cant intercooler rite??
correct me if wrong :)
how come carburetor turbo don have intercooler?the old school lancer a175 is what engine?also got intercooler rite?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

When looking at oversea selling Motul 800 road racing 2T for +-US$17 and we are getting it at +-RM133 per bottle, I think it is too much. So, I'm wondering if volume can bring down the price a bit. Mix product purchasing also can, like x bottle of different engine oil + x bottle of different 2T.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience