[HELP] Iriz Rear End Hopping

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
Hi all sifus,

Currently, while I take corners (medium long / long corners) on uneven pavement or motorway with expansion joints or mild uneven surface at 50km/h or less, the rear end will skip or hop. Also I neither accelerate nor brake during cornering.

I have looked up on cars with torsion beam suspension. Some of them experienced such complications while others are close to none. Also, there are no concrete direct solutions which can curb this problem.

Any recommendations or advice please?

Thank you.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Check your rear tyre pressure.

If its really hopping then the vsc light should blink.does it blink?
Some bridge joint or road joint are metal and your tyre wont have much grip.but in this case it will slide a bit,nothing dramatic.
the stock tyre is crappy.

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
Some expansion joint is overlay with concrete.
Nope the VSC light didn't blink.

So to change tyre and suspension?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
dont change the tyre if its really hopping as its due to either the an overinflate tyre or suspension or you are going too fast for the corner.
i have never experience hopping before or normal driviing speed.however,the rear suspension can easily be upset when you are driving alone with the rear tyre inflated to the higher recommended pressure to carry people.
fast definition really depends to individual.my fast could be slow for you.

The cheapest solution is to recheck the tyre pressure and adapt your driving style to the car character.

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
Front 32 psi and rear 30psi, driving alone all the time.
My normal cornering speed is equal or less than 40km/h on medium long or long corners. If sharp turns, it will be definitely lower than 10km/h. Cornering wouldn't be fun anymore :(

I try lowering the tyre pressure

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
can it be done on my own? or I need to consult a mechanic for such service?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
can it be done on my own? or I need to consult a mechanic for such service?
Normally they press hard on your car and see the re bounce. If car keep bouncing up and down means worn. If jam then hard to even press down. Best if can find suspension test machine. Some tyre shops used to have, but lately cannot find any. Car driven over a platform, the machine bounces the tyre up and down then record the feedback.....:smokin:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Hi all sifus,

Currently, while I take corners (medium long / long corners) on uneven pavement or motorway with expansion joints or mild uneven surface at 50km/h or less, the rear end will skip or hop. Also I neither accelerate nor brake during cornering.

I have looked up on cars with torsion beam suspension. Some of them experienced such complications while others are close to none. Also, there are no concrete direct solutions which can curb this problem.

Any recommendations or advice please?

Thank you.

check your tyre pressure first...

set at around 180-210kpa max for rear tyre

if still not sufficient.... then u can try retrofit softer rear spring....probably from 1st model myvi

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
check your tyre pressure first...

set at around 180-210kpa max for rear tyre

if still not sufficient.... then u can try retrofit softer rear spring....probably from 1st model myvi
Will get back with updates should such problem persists.

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
Updates:

Readjusted tire pressure back to stock recommended settings.

Have been driving in and out for one week, rear skipping during cornering at commoner's speed (30-40km/h)is still noticeable.

Any advice please?

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
During cornering with no braking and constant acceleration or sometimes no acceleration on mild uneven roads or small expansion joints on motorway (very prominent on MEX highway), I felt that one of the rear tire is lifted and soon when either one tire gain traction quickly, the rear end will skip (slight slide without tyre squirm) and I can feel it in my steering too.
(For example, if I turn right, the rear end skips left and vice versa).

Some call it snap oversteer or lift off oversteer

Having said so, this incident doesn't trigger the VSC and it is still controllable.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We’ve all been enthralled with Ken Block’s antics, from high speed drifts on banked surfaces to more donuts than a Krispy Kreme factory but have you ever found yourself wondering what it would be like in the world of motorcycles?

Well we might have the answer here in the form of a police motorcycle demo by an Officer Donnie Williams. Though lacking the speed part of it, there’s nothing remotely easy about...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience