Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I never understood why engine manufacturers routed blow-by gases back into the intake manifold. All the oil vapour (read : Oil) gets trapped there and completely clogs the throttle body and intake manifold causing sluggish performance, inaccurate idling and in some cases engine dying off due to overly low idling.

In order to counter this problem, some budding aftermarket enthusiast created the Oil Catch Tank (OCT) and connected it to the PCV valve catching all the oil vapour therefore keeping the intake manifold relatively clean.

Picture taken from ZTH sales pages, copyright and all belong to the owner, not me

So I was thinking, is there a DIY-er way of doing this OCT without spending too much? Yes there was.

Tools needed :
1. Iswara Fuel filter
2. Automotive rubber hose
3. Clamps

Locate the PCV valve in your car (usually it's a rubber hose going from your cylinder head going into your intake usually before the throttlebody).

Replace this hose with your makeshift OCT and you're pretty much done.

The Iswara fuel filter has paper filters in it which will trap the oil vapour (read : Oil) and collect it in the filter. So be sure to replace the filter once it fills up (eventually). RM6 bucks give or take!

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Disclaimer : I've only done this for my Wira, Myvi and Toyota Unser without adverse effects. I do not and will not claim that this works for all car makes and models

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

mADmAN

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
i like this... especially the filtering part... this can help ensure that only gasses go back to the intake manifold and not oil that managed to escape the tank....only downside is that its so friggin small...and everytime it fills up u need to buy a new filter. would prefer the type that u can empty out and reuse..

for the filtering some people use those stainless steel scourer ball (those stainless steel mesh ball thingy used to wash dishes) and unravel them abit and shove them in the OCT. it helps to catch even more oil in the vapor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Just for the record, I just discovered I connected the OCT to the wrong hose. I used the breather hose instead of the PCV!

(This is a Myvi btw)

So if anyone is doing this for their Myvi, please stay tuned. I will make corrections and post up followup pictures soon

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
izso,
great diy bro...im gonna try it too...
u think it works for perdana ah?
Sure can Danz. Just locate the PCV valve pipe which goes from your cylinder head to the intake manifold. Usually there's two, one as a 'breather' and the other is the PCV. You'll wanna hook the OCT to the PCV

BoxCarRacer

500 RPM

BoxCarRacer

500 RPM
May 7, 2008
Johor Bahru
Thanks Izso. Well Done.

Anyway, the breather is the one before throttle body hile the PCV is the one connected to the intake manifold. Correct?

pangyau

1,000 RPM

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Izso,

Thanks for the good idea.
The best part is, the OCT you invent doesn't consume much space like other product.
I wish to try on my 4G63T...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Ok some updates.

I realised I connected the OCT to the wrong hose and used the breather hose instead of the PCV. How did I know? Apart from a friend pointing it out, the original hose I pulled out was pretty dry. The PCV hose that I pulled out today was wet and oily. A pretty good indicator of where to connect your OCT.

I pulled out the OCT, plugged the original hose back and swapped out the PCV hose.

So here's the updated product :

You can make out a little bit of oily bits around the green coloured sleeve.

I connected the other end to the bit that goes into the intake manifold.

Cable tied it a bit to keep it firmly in place and I'm done!

mines998

1,000 RPM

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think for NA should be no problem. But for turbo need be careful the back pressure end up yr engine oil needle fly up it give you more problem.

Anyway the invention look cute.

Stasis21

Known Member

Stasis21

Known Member
Mar 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Ohhhh, so that's what the oily hose is in my Kelisa intake. Was wondering what engine oil is doing in the intake... I thought my engine oil leaking :tongue:. I got 1 spare saga filter, gona get some rubber hose and try this out :top: . Thanks for the DIY.

radhie

500 RPM

radhie

500 RPM
May 16, 2006
done bfore on my previous car, kelisa,only cost me rm5 for the fuel filter.just find out can diy it on myvi..
thanks bro!
will try it out on my myvi..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To all:

Please DO NOT Post if you have nothing to say.

Due to the increasing number of useless* threads/posts/replies, It has caused much uncalled-for frustration.

This drastically stunts the growth of Zerotohundred.com as well as it reflects the maturity level of people in this part of the world.

*Useless

-Uncalled for posts/threads
-Immature posts/threads
-Non-beneficial posts/threads
-Off-topic posts
-Posts/Threads without much thought
+More will be added without prior...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience