1JZ-GTE or RB20/25?? which one wei?!

VexRed

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
www.hksusa.com
hello friends,

i am thinking of getting a cheapo car and dumping in a 6cyl turbo engine. 1st and foremost my preferences for cheap car is either toyota corona, cressida or nissan bluebird triple s. was wondering any suggestions on which car i should go for and why? lazy 2 google so i ask u sifus here 4 help!

2ndly i really don't know which engine 2 drop in... so performance wise which is better in stock condition?? 1jz-gte or rb20? i only plan 2 lightly mod the engines, maybe larger front mount i/c and re-do piping, big exhaust piping with big muffler, blow-off, wastegate, open pod air filter, maybe up boost a bit depending on how much stock ecu and engine can allow la.. also big rims with wide tyres. so which turbo engine u guys go 4? i can't afford anything better than 1JZ or RB20 by the way :bawling: so pls don't say 2JZ or RB26 cos budget's very tight.

then besides engine and brakes wat else do i need 2 do up in terms of the wheelbase? longshafts, axles, LSD etc... this one i'm truly clueless man...

lastly, anyone selling a done-up cheapass car with 1JZ/RB engine in it? cos that would save me some workshop hassle la.

any help/offers very much appreciated. thanks a lot!

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
1jz manual - almost impossible to find nowadays, unless u got frens nationwide informing u if any available. market price around rm4.5k
rb20 manual - chop shops which dont sell rb20 halfcut better dont call themselves chop shop. market price around rm2.8k

both got ceramic turbos (very fragile). upon modifications, JZ engines has higher reliability thresholds, and dont suffer oil pump problems like RB.

no matter which engine u use, dont simply up boost more than 1 bar cos ceramic turbine wheels are scared of high boost n might run away thru ur exhaust if u force them to work hard.

do keep a lookout on preferred engines on whatever chassis u intend to transplant the engine. no matter what car u use, there must be a forum dedicated to ur car... can search from there on transplant options n possibilities

some cars are easier to fit RB (for example cefiro) and some 1jz (for example toyota mark 2) but there are cefiros running toyota jz n mark 2s running RB

if ur modification plans do not go beyond what u mentioned, then either one should be okay. but if u plan to expand to using a large turbo, injectors, running high boost, then u might want to consider 1jz.

VexRed

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
www.hksusa.com
1jz manual - almost impossible to find nowadays, unless u got frens nationwide informing u if any available. market price around rm4.5k
rb20 manual - chop shops which dont sell rb20 halfcut better dont call themselves chop shop. market price around rm2.8k

both got ceramic turbos (very fragile). upon modifications, JZ engines has higher reliability thresholds, and dont suffer oil pump problems like RB.

no matter which engine u use, dont simply up boost more than 1 bar cos ceramic turbine wheels are scared of high boost n might run away thru ur exhaust if u force them to work hard.

do keep a lookout on preferred engines on whatever chassis u intend to transplant the engine. no matter what car u use, there must be a forum dedicated to ur car... can search from there on transplant options n possibilities

some cars are easier to fit RB (for example cefiro) and some 1jz (for example toyota mark 2) but there are cefiros running toyota jz n mark 2s running RB

if ur modification plans do not go beyond what u mentioned, then either one should be okay. but if u plan to expand to using a large turbo, injectors, running high boost, then u might want to consider 1jz.
thx for ur info bro. no la don't plan 2 go kao kao with whatever engine i put in. but i'm a lil scared about what u sed about not being able 2 cource a 1JZ manual :eek: is there any other manual gearbox that can be fitted reliably with a 1jz gte?? this mite sound like a stupid question but can 1jz manual gearbox be fitted 2 auto 1jz engine?? i dunno why but my preference seems 2 lean a lot more toward da 1jz engine.

actually jus only 10 mins ago i sat in my fren's nissan triple s with RB25DET manual inside, for test drive and i was so disappointed wit da power... he had upgraded his clutch 2 racing, improved da fuelling and using bigger shiny intercooler and upped boost to 1 bar... unfortunately not impressed... maybe da car very heavy? dunno la. but it was smooth tho. in the past i've sat in some land cruisers and 4x4s with 1jz and they seemed 2 have intensely more power...

i'm VERY sure the RB20/25 is excellent after modding but then again i don't wanna mod much, jus the above common shit i mentioned in my 1st post lor. some of my frens claim the 1jz has significantly more power compared 2 the RB20 and even RB25 in stock condition... cefiro is very very nice but da car's 2 much for my budget... i jus wan a cheapo car like cressida or corona i guess.. so which one would u go for then bro? (meaning which car and engine)

Last edited:

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
yeah i was disappointed with rb25 as well. 1jz is far more superior than rb20/25 but i didnt want to say it at first cos i'm sure some people will argue about it.

many people purchased auto 1jz halfcut and coverted to manual after a while when they are able to source the manual conversion kit.

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
1 JZ.. superb.. even Auto also lol!! try and see.. u will knoe the difference...
Have 2 otai fren using 7 series BMW 1 with 1JZ and the other with RB20...

VexRed

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
www.hksusa.com
thanks for ur replies again!

today i spent my time testing cars - test drove a fren of a fren's toyota corona (1984 model) with 1JZ-GTE manual (no gila mods - only LSD, bigger aftermarket i/c, and blow-off) and all i can say is THAT'S MORE LIKE IT MAN!! it was much better than the RBs i sat in today that's for sure! i have no doubt the RBs are hardcore after modding and i KNOW they have potential, i just don't wanna mod much ba. so today i've made up my mind i'm gonna go wit 1JZ-GTE and i already told my mechs 2 start sourcing a 1J manual halfcut. spoke 2 a fren studying in australia 2day and he told me about his toyota mark II powered by a new-gen 1JZ-GTE twin turbo WITH VVTi! he sed it's fukkin' wicked.

anyhow i will also be looking out for an already converted 1JZ-GTE ride and even if it's auto i will do the manual conversion and mods myself la. so if anyone got and willing 2 sell, pls let me know =) btw bro in my previous post i asked whether 1JZ-GTE can be coupled with other manual gearboxes? my fren today was saying optimum choice is da R154 (???) tranny? is that rite? but he didn't elaborate as 2 whether can put other more easily found gearboxes ler. can u sifus pls enlighten me on that ah? tq very much bros.

VexRed

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
www.hksusa.com
1 JZ.. superb.. even Auto also lol!! try and see.. u will knoe the difference...
Have 2 otai fren using 7 series BMW 1 with 1JZ and the other with RB20...
soooo i assume the toyota 1JZ-powered BMW was better than the RB20-powered one?? were both beemers the same (model/type etc.)? let me know k bro hehe!

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
i've got 1 gearbox dat'll match the 1jz.. it's the w58 from JZA80 ... with 6 puck clutch and all... hehehe.. siapa ngam? lai lai... conpirm tahan 500hp

BLaCkHoWLiNG

Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
r154's shift is abit 'long and squishy'.... but it's strong... if u're looking at anything below 400-500 w58 sure ngam u... good notchy shift...

u cannot compare rb20 with 1jz... 500cc diff... hmm... rb's good... but up to a certain point u need to 'replace' and upgrade with aftermarket items to take the punishment.... unlike 1jz / 2jzs... (stock 2jzs can run up to 900hp with stock bottom).... but i think rb's parts are more compare to 1jz on d used market...

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
i've got 1 gearbox dat'll match the 1jz.. it's the w58 from JZA80 ... with 6 puck clutch and all... hehehe.. siapa ngam? lai lai... conpirm tahan 500hp
so u have complete JZA80 auto to manual items?
if yes (i mean flywheel, clutch plate, clutch cover, gearbox, shift stick etc) do PM me ur asking price...

VexRed

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
www.hksusa.com
blackhowling,

true i know there's half a litre displacement diff btwn rb20 and 1j, but even the RB25DET in stock manual condition didn't feel as 'torquey' or pretty much as powerful as the 1j manual stock man... some more my fren's 1jz engine looked like it was condemned and gonna drop out from engine bay any min! hehe yes i know the mighty 2JZ, bulletproof bottom and internals. legendary 2JZ-GTE and RB26DETT all gettin souped up 2 near a megawatt without touching the insides. my mech claims if the engine healthy, a 1JZ can whack up to 600hp with stock internals etc... true?? i mean i don't plan 2 mod that much but i jus wanna know oni.

so when u say da R154's long n squishy, does that mean the gear ratios are long or wat bro? it's more of a top-speed g/b is it? (not really wat i want i'd prefer more pick-up ler)... so now i'm confused, what's the STOCK manual g/b that COMES WITH the 1jz-gte eh? btw wat is JZA80? is that da 2.0l supra 1g engine ah? how much are u selling it? at least if i get an auto 1JZ and wanna convert manual least i'll know how much i'm dealing wit here.

can u recommend other g/b that can fit? cos a lot of ppl seem 2 be saying manual trannies for 1JZ is like a needle in a haystack... hey khoyos when u sed the price is RM4.5k for 1JZ h/c is that for auto or manual bro? ok ok don't shoot me for asking this, but will a manual nissan RB20/25 g/b fit an auto 1JZ-GTE engine?? again pls hold ur fire!

truly i'm very sorry everyday i've so many questions, but i'm a 4G63T evo (in proton) player, so i'm seriously new to inline6 turbo engines/names/parts bla bla bla...

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
1jz manual is 4.5k, auto is 2.8k.
no u cant use rb gearbox on 1jz engine, unless u mod the bellhousing like americans do but thats only a job for professionals which i have not seen yet in malaysia...

i was from 4G63T too, maybe i expected too much out of my stock rb25...

BLaCkHoWLiNG

Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
khoyos: i have (still in my car)

1. Gearbox (w58)
2. RPS 6 puck clutch plate and cover

u can match the rb gearbox to 1j..or 2j.. i think the aussies are selling the adaptor plates.... but it aint gonna be cheap... if not, i think duke racing can fabricate the adaptor plates.. as they've matched a v12 engine of a beemer to a manual gb... u can pm aibon for further details...

vex: jza80 is the chassis code for the Supra MK4 which houses the 2JZGTE engine inside.. the ori 6 speed gearbox is v160 while the 5 speed (for na) is w58... the 1JZ 5 speed gearbox is the R154 but it has several variants.. of which it's either with or without the 'additional' linkages for the shifter... the gearbox alone going price at chop shops are at RM1700-2000 for 'on d floor units' and 2300-2500 for the ones to be taken out of the 1/2 cuts... as for v160's... 9k-12k.. depending on wat 'it comes with'...

VexRed

Known Member
Oct 1, 2005
www.hksusa.com
khoyos: i have (still in my car)

1. Gearbox (w58)
2. RPS 6 puck clutch plate and cover

u can match the rb gearbox to 1j..or 2j.. i think the aussies are selling the adaptor plates.... but it aint gonna be cheap... if not, i think duke racing can fabricate the adaptor plates.. as they've matched a v12 engine of a beemer to a manual gb... u can pm aibon for further details...

vex: jza80 is the chassis code for the Supra MK4 which houses the 2JZGTE engine inside.. the ori 6 speed gearbox is v160 while the 5 speed (for na) is w58... the 1JZ 5 speed gearbox is the R154 but it has several variants.. of which it's either with or without the 'additional' linkages for the shifter... the gearbox alone going price at chop shops are at RM1700-2000 for 'on d floor units' and 2300-2500 for the ones to be taken out of the 1/2 cuts... as for v160's... 9k-12k.. depending on wat 'it comes with'...
thx for ur reply bro! i learnt somethin' new. so let's say u was me, would u fuse the nissan RB g/b (cos it's ultra easy 2 find wei... as it is i have an RB20 sitting in my garden growing flowers outta da top hehe!) with a toyota 1JZ auto engine? OR.. source the proper 1JZ manual g/b eh? u sed fusing the RB g/b with 1JZ won't be cheap, how much is 'not cheap'? if it's in the thousands of RMs then of cos the best idea would be 2 grab the toyota manual g/b la i guess no matter how hard it's gonna be 2 find, cos i'm sure can find eventually rite dude? ok la let me put it this way, what's the cheapest way for me (assuming i can only find an auto 1JZ) 2 fuse a manual g/b 2 the 1JZ (running reliably of cos hehe)???

hehe the v160 is of cos outta da question, that g/b alone can buy me 2 fukkin' 1J powerplants wei!! holy shite!! i assume ur gettin that g/b for ur supra is it? cos u sed the w58's still in ur car? (unless of cos u've got more than 1 supra???) but then again if u run a 2jz don't u have the w160 anyways? or ur powered by a 7m-gte or somethin'?? sory sory outta topic sory 2 be so kepoh dude.

before dinner just now another fren brought me in another corona TT141 powered by 1JZ-GTE, wow damn sweet wei... not gila babi powerful but impressive nevertheless cos it was fully loaded with woofers and weed... so yea, settled la it's 1JZ for me, only question is how da fukk 2 kaotim da g/b eh? awaiting ur reply ur sifu-ness.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A total number of 120 lucky F1 fans were treated to a special appearance by Renault Sport F1 team drivers – Kevin Magnussen and Jolyon Palmer – in an event yesterday. The meet-and-greet session held at Renault’s PJ showroom was part of a pre-race party towards the upcoming 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix this weekend.

As the crowd waited for...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience