ROTA Grid Wheels. Style over safety?

r3dster

500 RPM

r3dster

500 RPM
Mar 26, 2006
Well it's just a discussion i would like to start. i don't sell rims therefore i'm not trying to up sell or get people to not buy them. Just to see what are your comments on them.

ROTA wheels/ ROTA Grid wheels seems to have entered our market for quite some time now. I personally have looked at them. They look very very nice. It made in the philipines no?
Due to the fact that it tempt alot of motorsport enthusiats on the "very genuine look". I made some look out on our good friend Mr Google. From the comments i browse through. It gave me another perspective of ROTA wheels. "drop DEAD gorgeous"I'm not sure, it might just be another market competitors evil ways to bring them down or it might be true. Here are some photos of them.

Any second thoughts? please share. IF these photos are true (hopefully they aren't), life and death is within your calculations

What about taiwan@imitations? I've seen alot of them running around but have yet to see them in cases like this...any photos to share?
Cheers!

Last edited:

ACQ2305

500 RPM

ACQ2305

500 RPM
May 25, 2007
HeadHunters
I would like to know first, what caused the rims to be damage in that way, lets say, how big of a hole it went thru, how fast was the driver going, did the driver drove a beam, those kind of stuff.. If the rims were just to break itself without hitting anything, that i would be worried of.. I know OEM rims can stand a few pot holes encounter, steel rims as well..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
well..one question....the red lotus rim comes from what factory???

btw..looks like all those picture the rim damaged due to crashing with something.. :adore:

ftzone

full throttle zone

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
if safety is paramount.. always get the real deal.. full stop.
Great rims manufacturers like RAYS, SSR e.t.c select their materials properly, design and test their rims vigorously before it enters the market. It's expensive for a reason. Even so, shit happens and rims can break.. that is not uncommon if you bang your 500whp car into a pot hole as deep as 15cm over 180km/h

ken yeang

6,000 RPM

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Personally, I have seen numerous car accidents with the car's wheel ripped off from a car, with the tyre/suspension strut & arms still in one piece. With the force so strong, the rims however still intact even though heavily dented/deformed.

On the other hand, the damaged ROTA wheels looks scary, and I suspect they are could cheapo imitation.

D7zul

2,000 RPM

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
seriously dented rims due to accident, i can accept..

broken into pieces? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

i'd rather pay higher for a used original rims..

r3dster

500 RPM

r3dster

500 RPM
Mar 26, 2006
has anyone experienced this kind of cases? i would love to get one. but..hmmm...those photos are pretty discouraging...

nadziad

Known Member

nadziad

Known Member
May 14, 2011
johor
i have seen a triton broke its front rim near the sepang airport.....dont know how it happen...seems like it slipped then broke

mADmAN

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
read everything here: Question on Durability of ROTA Wheels? | CustomPinoyRides.com - Pinoy Pride In Our Rides!

ive been a user of Rota for about 5 years now... i did break 1 when i hit a rock on the road at 80km/h (at the time with very thin 165/50/15 tires)...but it was just a small crack in the middle of the barrel...few days later i met a dood with a BMW 3 series n his ori BMW wheels, which also hit a rock at about the same speed, cracked through out the entire barrel... the barrel almost split in half save for about 3-4 inches which still hasnt cracked.

though i am thinking of selling my current rotas, but its only because i need something wider with a better offset to clear my planned brake upgrade.. otherwise id definitely keep it.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Well I've never used original Japan aftermarket wheels, but only used Taiwan rims and have no complaints what so ever! They look as nice, still pretty lightweight, but at much cheaper price. Of course they are not super lightweight or super strong but IMHO they're good enough for daily normal use, and I'm not willing to spend for the difference.
As for ROTA, never used before but I admit I'm interested to try one. I'm not going to put judgement yet based on just pictures like the above since we cannot really tell what happened there. I think any rims can crack if badly hitting a rock or pothole or road divider. Also some competitor or original rim makers can spread such pictures for the obvious reason.
As for the experience shared above about Bimmer wheels cracking worse than the ROTA, that also still not conclusive because even though it might be at the same speed but the size, shape, and hardness of the rock can be very different, as well as the angle of the impact.

DanzEterna

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
the 1st pic is rota-regamaster, not rota grid wheels. could be immitation regamaster.
but made in philipines ones are quite durable, of course better than made in taiwan or china.

pwhyze

500 RPM

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I don't think there's any real concern with Rotas. They manufacture OEM wheels too mind you. The pics above are pretty inconclusive to be honest. We don't know how any of them happen, therefore can we say Rays/SSRs would DEFINITELY survived the same impact?

newuy

Known Member

newuy

Known Member
Jun 19, 2006
From my experience, I had used 17inch Rota Slipstream(spoon sw388 lookalilke) on my civic fd1 from 2006 until 2010. Liked the design very much, it was Matte black with red line on the rim's lip. Back then it was nicer than those wedsport or work emotion replica rims. with the rota, i did not face and problems whatsever. hit potholes here and there, still tough and still balanceable when changing tires and doing wheel balancing.(maybe bcoz my design had 5 large spokes = tougher)
i got them then from Singapore - HTyre for roughly the price of Taiwanese 17 inch rims.< rm2k
changed it in 2010 for new rims with different offset as the rota offsets require spacers since i had BBK in front. and i didn;t like to continue getting spacers.

overall you get what you pay for, the weight is manageable and light for 17inch.
I think more recently there are some distributor starting to sell Rota branded rims locally.
They are manufactured in Philipines when i got them in 2006, and in SG, the shop i went to-HTyre was selling quite a lot of rota rims. I was told Rota make alot of OEM rims in philipines..maybe kinda like our JRD/enkei in malaysia

The picture of the rim snapping off is usually a sign of metal fatigue or direct impact for cast rims.
In fact, any OEM rim that are cast will also snap off like that if you hit it hard enough or there is already metal fracture.
I had a fren with Ori MItsubishi lancer GT 18 inch rims, hit a pothole somewhere in KL, the rim cracked though the center and it become 2 thin rims...thats OEM quality to you.

No harm in sharing a proven fact, but those images dont tell the entire story, they might be true but maybe just the end result, the process before that end-result=we can only guess.
Just be careful whether its OEM, or replica or ori JDM, our roads here can kill any rim, no matter how cheap or expensive they may be.

Jun 17, 2012
SINGAPORE
Hi all,

i am the distributor for Rota Wheels in Singapore.

Interesting pictures you have there.
Do not get me wrong. I'm not trying to protect Rota just because we are selling Rota.
There are a few points which you might want to think about before coming to a conclusion.

1) The nature of the accident.
2) The impact which caused those cracks
3) Originality of these pictures

Looking at these pictures, i really do not understand the point. Any wheel of any brand would break if the impact was very strong. So i do not think it's fair to condemn Rota just like that. Jap wheels break as well. :)

I have sold tons of Rota Wheels for the past 10 years but never once did a customer came back with claims of these damage.We have done so many cars with heavy mods, be it tracks or drifts
and never once did anyone complained about the durability of Rota. Most of them came back for new sets of Rota due to new colours, specs and sizes. We have done up so many Evos, WRXs, S15s,
RX7s, R34s,etc..... Most of them were happy customers coming back for more. We wouldn't have lasted so long if we were selling inferior products.

Here is an interesting article for all to read and think about.

Question on Durability of ROTA Wheels? | CustomPinoyRides.com - Pinoy Pride In Our Rides!

There are always haters when your product is selling well lol

With this i rest my case and wish all a great week ahead.
Drive safe!

Warmest Regards,

Rota Wheels Singapore

r3dster

500 RPM

r3dster

500 RPM
Mar 26, 2006
owh ho...don't get me wrong, i'm trying to say Rota's are bad wheels. it's just that looking through what i've searched. i just wanted to know the actual scenario. plus with the group called "friends dont let friends buy ROTA"....i'm just to interested to know...well at least i manage to get it through to get the actual answers. i prefer doing my own research as to what it is now. to assume it straight away was not an ideal way of looking at things. thanks for the replys tho ;)
i wonder why rota prices are very steep here....

Last edited: