The mighty 2jz or The legendary RB26

shark79

500 RPM
Sep 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
classicjapanesecars.blogspot.com
Ok everyone knws that ths is a topic which as been going on for years..
The 2jz which is virtually bullet proof ..u can slap on a T88-33D with stock internals ,no oil pressure prob..u can still run standard oil pumps or the racy high reving RB26 which was built solely for one pourpose to outshine the V8's in the Austaralian Touring Car Championship( hehehe) and not to forget armed with 6 throttle for that quick responds and god the sound its just music to my ears....since this engines are tech wonders which evolves hand in hand with the Human know how...anyone here has something to share....................

S

semperfi

Count me in! I vote for RB26. I've asked a Toyota and Nissan engine expert tuner from Top Fuel and he confirmed RB26 (Best engine to tune, he added)! So there ya go... RB26 guys. Watch this space... there are others who would oppose! :smokin:

I'm not a toyota fan but I do have lots of respect for 2JZ.

shark79

500 RPM
Sep 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
What a question/debate to be putting up on the RB forums... even if it was 2JZ vs. SR20 I think the answer is going to be pretty biased :smokin:

Yup i know but prob we can learn more from ths thread by listening to members view on why they choose rb,sr,2j....just my 2cents:bandit:

Bump: yup bro .the RB26 is the best engine to tune but something always fails or breaks(correct me if im wrong ) where else the 2jz can withstand huge amount of power without breaking down frequently...Exp: coil packs.......

Bump: yup bro .the RB26 is the best engine to tune but something always fails or breaks(correct me if im wrong ) where else the 2jz can withstand huge amount of power without breaking down frequently...Exp: coil packs.......

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
What a question/debate to be putting up on the RB forums... even if it was 2JZ vs. SR20 I think the answer is going to be pretty biased :smokin:
I have to agree. This is opening a can of worms. Even if you compared Nissan vs Nissan (ie: RB vs SR) its going to be biased what more comparing a Nissan and a Toyota engine.

Yup i know but prob we can learn more from ths thread by listening to members view on why they choose rb,sr,2j....just my 2cents:bandit:

I think its good that you're trying to get a serious discussion regarding these two engines but I think we need people like Blackhowling to also contribute on behalf of the 2JZ. I have to admit, I don't know much about 2JZs cause these past 8 years or so have been purely RB20, RB25, RB26 and RB28 engines for me.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that an RB26 always fails or breaks down. I believe them to be fairly robust engines provided you do not skimp on maintenance.

Also, both these engines despite being 'flagship' engines for their respective makers have many differences such as the displacement for starters. While both are twin turbos, the setups are also different (correct me if I'm wrong but the 2JZs have a sequential twin turbo setup). The drivetrains are also different - Supra being RWD.

Even if we look at how these engines have evolved into what they are, the route or path taken by the engineers are very much different. The RB26 which has been around since the introduction of the R32GTR in 1989 has retained the 2.6L displacement for the later R33/R34s with improvements and tweaks along the way.

The Supra engines experienced what can be seen as more obvious changes during the same period as the MKIIIs had the 1JZ (2.5) while the MKIV has the 2JZ (3.0). If I'm not mistaken, the 1JZ head manufactured by Yamaha (I think) flows better so tuners in Japan ended up with the 1.5JZ - using the 2JZ block with the 1JZ head. Blackhowling is the expert on this. I'm probably so wrong it's not funny. So from what I see, these engines evolved into what they are in very different fashion.

Tuning wise, I guess locally the RBs enjoy more support and exposure which is not necessarily a good thing. If you want to get really technical about the engines then this thread will go on for many many pages. The RBs run AFMs from factory but, correct me please, 2JZs run MAP.

In other words, there are many differences that make both engines great and I'm the least qualified to comment on 2JZs cause I feel that one could devote their entire lives to becoming experts in their engine of choice be it RB, SR, Honda Vtecs, Rotaries, 2JZs and still learn new things as they go along. As for me, I'll stick to RBs cause I have a long way to go before I could call myself knowledgeable so I'll leave the 2JZ to the hardcore enthusiasts. :wavey:

eyong

4,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2006

I would think the SR20 would be better matched with the 3S ... I would be biased towards the 3S ... :adore:

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
i'm not a technical person and having own both cars (a 2jz and rb26) i can only tell u guys my experience based on "feeling"

to be honest i'll take the 2jz anytime than the rb26. I don't know why but both cars feel differnt pretty noticably on top speed. I think its because of the final 3 gear ratios, 4th 5th and 6th. On a 500whp supra with wot, these gears feel really like the same, esp the 5th and 6th. i can't say for sure about others out there, but i feel it in mine. Where as on the GTR, u really feel that its like "vrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" grunting at the last 2 gears. I thikn its about to run out of breath or smething compared to the jza80 gear.

and judging from the maintenance wise of a user who only knows how to use a car instead of the technical mumbo jumbo this and that,i kinda like how the supra packs so little maintenance. To be honest i can almost run any semi syn/fully syn oil out there worry free but on a rb, i tried the really lousy oil like idemitsu fully syn, u can straight away tell that the engine feels like crappppppppp.rbs are very choosy on oils, i have no idea why!!!

speaking on that, i noticed that rb engines are choosy on petrol i pump too! if i pump petronas, a tank runs out 50km faster than shell. I thought i was crazy until i alternate 2 times each on petronas and shell, petronas was missing the 50-80km on a full tank no matter how i drive. so now i've stick to shell instead, all the time.

in overall i just like how the supra is so maintenance free, i can just leave it there and not being sensitive about it, the rbs on the other side seems to be very very ladylike. I might just gotten myself a lousy GTR but i'm saying this based on my exp on a GTR now and a GTST previously. I just loveeeeeee how "bullet proof" the supra is from a normal user point of view.

I knwo this is a skyline forum but just trying to be fair on both remarkable engines out there.I can safely say this for anyone out there who owns both cars,i'm sure they will pretty much feel the same too.I'm not harping on the RBs here, i own 2 before but i just think that i just need to say something too regarding the 2jz!

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
i was in the same dilemma last year after my rb25 blew. rb26 vs 2jz... i chose 2jz. i must say, the torque is just amazing! and fuel consumption is just amazing! until today, i only filled the petrol 3 times this year! yeah its not a daily car and spends most of the time parked at home but when i take her out, i tend to go places to meet friends... and the 2jz halfcut cost me 1/4 of rb26 halfcut! hehehe

and until today, i'm so glad that i chose 2jz over rb26 hehe

p/s habis la, after this all rb26 fans will kick me out of here. i better run!:burnout:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
to be honest i'll take the 2jz anytime than the rb26. I don't know why but both cars feel differnt pretty noticably on top speed. I think its because of the final 3 gear ratios, 4th 5th and 6th. On a 500whp supra with wot, these gears feel really like the same, esp the 5th and 6th. i can't say for sure about others out there, but i feel it in mine. Where as on the GTR, u really feel that its like "vrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" grunting at the last 2 gears. I thikn its about to run out of breath or smething compared to the jza80 gear.
You're comparing a 500hp Supra with a GTR which has how much horsepower? Also 500hp? Sorry, just unsure if its a direct comparison power wise cause weird how GTR would grunt last two gears.

in overall i just like how the supra is so maintenance free, i can just leave it there and not being sensitive about it, the rbs on the other side seems to be very very ladylike. I might just gotten myself a lousy GTR but i'm saying this based on my exp on a GTR now and a GTST previously. I just loveeeeeee how "bullet proof" the supra is from a normal user point of view.
A GTST is not something I'd even use as a benchmark against the GTR or Supra, having owned one as well when I was 17. But if I had to compare an RB20 with an RB25, I must say that the RB20 can take a beating, day in day out more so than the RB25s. Eitherway, you've helped shed light on the matter from a former 2JZ owners point of view.

Btw, how does the fuel consumption compare bro? Did your GTR and Supra both have similar power/setup?

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
2JZ, RB26

Overall both have it own
it just what you want from it

I believe Supra 2JZ is more like highway monster and GTR RB26 is more like Track monster

Like the 6 banger
but love the 4 Banger Rawness

Bump: 2JZ, RB26

Overall both have it own
it just what you want from it

I believe Supra 2JZ is more like highway monster and GTR RB26 is more like Track monster

Like the 6 banger
but love the 4 Banger Rawness

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
another note: smokey nagata installed rb26 engine in his jza80 cos 2jz engines would shred his tyres too fast during his famous burnouts!:thefinger:

shark79

500 RPM
Sep 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Hi....correct me if im wrong Toyota outsourced the building of the 2jz engine and trans to the Germans in order to compete with the rb26..I feel a proper build RWD can outsprint a 4WD (0-400m) if we put the supra side by side with the 34gtr.. (just for direct comparison(drag race) )

Bump: oh ya when it come to engine mods theres always the issue of RM...rb26 or 2jz...hmmmm
to get the exact amount of power lets say 600 bhp...in a rb26 i think u we have to spend double the RM compared to 2jz

Bump: oh ya when it come to engine mods theres always the issue of RM...rb26 or 2jz...hmmmm
to get the exact amount of power lets say 600 bhp...in a rb26 i think we have to spend double the RM compared to 2jz

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, where can i get adapters for open pod air filter , to be fitted with my original airfilter hose. (mivec engine)

The hose is 4 inches in diameter. Most accessories shop dont have the adapter, they only sell the air filter and then ask us to find the adapter ourself, except for apexi air filter.

I'm planning to buy an airfilter which has 6 inch inlet, and then i need the adapter to convert it from 6 inch become 4 inch

Chop shop have these adapters ar ?

Hope to hear from u guys soon :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience