LSD & Full Lock?

WiiR4

Known Member
Oct 21, 2008
Hi! guys!!! :biggrin:

just want to ask bout' what is a difference between LSD Gearbox & Full Lock Gearbox coz' I'm lookin' an Evo3 g/b, I goes to some chop shop n ask for g/b, I said I want a it wit LSD but the guys said it is a non LSD g/b but it can be Lock to 2 wheel, I'm quite confused here :hmmmm: , is it mean that from 4wd lock to 2wd or from non LSD to LSD, some of the thread in the internet (not only ZTH) also wrote the same "Evo3 g/b for sale, non LSD but can Lock to 2wd" I know some of my fren' done a non LSD g/b n weld the g/b to lock it so it work just like Full LSD (2 way), is it that what they mean? confuse here, n one more think if I done like some of my fren' weld the g/b, is it ok for long terms use or better use original LSD? last not least, I'm using Evo2 g/b non LSD is it a way if I just try to find just the LSD n plug it to my g/b even my fren' said it is very hard to find coz' usually they sell it 1 set with the g/b...anyone/any sifoo out there could help me PLEASE!!! :adore:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Hi! guys!!! :biggrin:

just want to ask bout' what is a difference between LSD Gearbox & Full Lock Gearbox coz' I'm lookin' an Evo3 g/b, I goes to some chop shop n ask for g/b, I said I want a it wit LSD but the guys said it is a non LSD g/b but it can be Lock to 2 wheel, I'm quite confused here :hmmmm: , is it mean that from 4wd lock to 2wd or from non LSD to LSD, some of the thread in the internet (not only ZTH) also wrote the same "Evo3 g/b for sale, non LSD but can Lock to 2wd" I know some of my fren' done a non LSD g/b n weld the g/b to lock it so it work just like Full LSD (2 way), is it that what they mean? confuse here, n one more think if I done like some of my fren' weld the g/b, is it ok for long terms use or better use original LSD? last not least, I'm using Evo2 g/b non LSD is it a way if I just try to find just the LSD n plug it to my g/b even my fren' said it is very hard to find coz' usually they sell it 1 set with the g/b...anyone/any sifoo out there could help me PLEASE!!! :adore:
huhuhu ok ok here it goes

gearbox that comes from an evo is a 4wd system
you have to lock it to 2wd to use in ur wira

you cant lock from non lsd to lsd just like that
u need to buy an lsd from the shop n fit it inside

the welding and making into full lock is a cheaper way
bt i dont recommend that if you are using ur car daily

brand new lsd can fetch 3k-4k
2nd hands are hard to find
its cheaper for you to sell your GB for a cheap price and
get a LSD gearbox from the chop shop
LSD gb frm chop shop should range 1.5k-1.8k

n/a_tune

Known Member
Oct 21, 2005
what about different full lock? semi lock, 1 way, 1.5.and 2way lsd????

WiiR4

Known Member
Oct 21, 2008
OOooo...I see, thax bro :biggrin:

what about different full lock? semi lock, 1 way, 1.5.and 2way lsd????
hmm...bout that not really2 know but from what I know is 2 way LSD is full Lock, mean that even if jack ur' car n spin the tires at one side the other side also spin, 1.5 LSD also quite the same but The LSD will working if both of the tires at the same equal pressure, & 1 way LSD is only working if ur car on the road, if ur' jack ur car & spin the tires the others not spin, from what I know laaa...pls correct me if I'm wrong...:burnout:

Last edited:

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Thats totally inaccurate la bro.
1-way LSD means the limited slip effect comes in only during acceleration, when you release the gas pedal it will act like an open diff.
1.5-way means it comes in full effect during acceleration, and only partially during deceleration.
2-way LSDs have full effect during both acceleration and deceleration.

Then there is the strength level of the LSD. Full-lock LSDs are basically high initial torque LSDs (depending on how people interpret the term "full-lock" also, but in malaysia as long as the LSD goes clank clank clank people say its full lock so...). Meaning the Limited Slip effect is there at all times, while milder LSDs only gradually build up the limited slip effect when the wheels spin unequally (slow reaction).
There are 1, 1.5, and 2-way full-lock LSDs as well.

The jacking up the wheel test doesnt work all the time, as different LSDs react differently. Normal Mitsu LSDs are clutch type, so you can just jack up the car and spin one wheel and see if the other wheel spins.
Honda Type-Rs have helical/torsen LSDs, this design wont spin the other wheel when you jack the car up unless you engage first gear.
Fluid type LSDs act differently depending on their design as well.

Welded diffs cannot pakai one. Only for drifting purposes. Not even track racing, unless you want to crash to a wall.

Last edited:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Thats totally inaccurate la bro.
1-way LSD means the limited slip effect comes in only during acceleration, when you release the gas pedal it will act like an open diff.
1.5-way means it comes in full effect during acceleration, and only partially during deceleration.
2-way LSDs have full effect during both acceleration and deceleration.

Then there is the strength level of the LSD. Full-lock LSDs are basically high initial torque LSDs (depending on how people interpret the term "full-lock" also, but in malaysia as long as the LSD goes clank clank clank people say its full lock so...). Meaning the Limited Slip effect is there at all times, while milder LSDs only gradually build up the limited slip effect when the wheels spin unequally (slow reaction).
There are 1, 1.5, and 2-way full-lock LSDs as well.

The jacking up the wheel test doesnt work all the time, as different LSDs react differently. Normal Mitsu LSDs are clutch type, so you can just jack up the car and spin one wheel and see if the other wheel spins.
Honda Type-Rs have helical/torsen LSDs, this design wont spin the other wheel when you jack the car up unless you engage first gear.
Fluid type LSDs act differently depending on their design as well.

Welded diffs cannot pakai one. Only for drifting purposes. Not even track racing, unless you want to crash to a wall.
if nt mistaken, mitsu evo's front diff comes with viscous lsd
nice info bro :)

Neyo

Known Member
Jun 29, 2007
bro zeroed,jz a quick question,4 mitsu LSD's u sd dat u can jz jack up de car n spin 1 wheel 2 c if de other 1 follows suit or not.wat if it doesn't.does it means theres no LSD?any other way in determining whether de car is equipped wit LSD without having 2 open up de gbox?sorry if dis q is inappropriate here but i need 2 knw coz my mech said dat my engine came LSD equipped n when they chgd de gbox oil they used LSD type oil.However when i jacked de car up n spin 1 tyre,de other stays stagnant.thx in advance

Last edited:

civic EdGe

Known Member
Jul 27, 2006
Totally agree with Zeroed.... My fren's old nissan uses the welding method to lock up both rear wheels just for the sole purpose of making donuts only..... his car really skids easily, maybe becoz both the rear wheels are forced to travel the same distance all the time.....
Btw, does Honda uses helical/torsen LSDs for their non type-R gearbox too? Torsen LSDs are more resistant to wearing out compared to LSD inserts rite?

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Im not sure about the newer mitsus, but the evo3 front LSD is also a clutch type I thought? I believe a mivec one is a clutch type atleast since ive seen it before...

Neyo, the easiest way to confirm is to remove a driveshaft and shine a light inside to see if there's a middle LSD shaft (or if its a viscous diff, a blocked housing) in the middle of the diff. Or remove both driveshafts and see if you can see through the hole. If you cannot, its likely that you have an LSD.

Sometimes you cannot feel the LSD effect due to a worn out LSD, but if the wheels dont even spin when you jack them up... then its unlikely that you have a clutch type LSD, or one at all in your gearbox lor. Another way is to put one wheel on an oily+wet surface and dump clutch & launch, and see if there's any power on the other wheel to move the car forward or not. You can put a small stone to block the wheel that is not on the oil+water to stop the car moving from the small transmission frictions, so if it moves its really from the power transferred by the LSD. But its still not an accurate test lah.

Civic edge, for non-TypeRs I believe Honda used viscous LSDs for their B series range. Torsen/Helical LSDs basically last forever, unless they are subject to big amounts of abuse like high horsepower wheelspins. LSD inserts i dunno la. :)

Last edited:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
u may see

the evo I,II,III has an option of front LSD which is a viscous LSD
comes with longer crown wheel and a special longer driveshaft
know this well cos i play 4g63's

the mivec oem lsd is also a viscous lsd and later replaced with helical lsd
according to http://www.mivec.co.nz

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Ah. perhaps I saw an aftermarket mivec one then.
The only proton/mitsu LSD I ever used was a Cusco one so I dunno bout stocks. :biggrin:

Neyo

Known Member
Jun 29, 2007
appreciate de prompt feedback guys especially zeroed.de main reason im asking is bcoz im due 4 a gbox oil chg very soon n if it doesnt hv an LSD then i can opt 4 de normal gbox oil instead which is cheaper.FYI engine is a CM5A GSR 1.8 which is de later model GSR with reverse timing belt placement similar to evo4 n above.but 2 b safe id better check if it really is an LSD equipped gbox first b4 changing oils as i wudnt want 2 damage it by putting in de wrong type of oil..cheers

Mar 23, 2013
Johor
hello bro,

i got evo 3 full lock g/box.
if i drive my gearbox is sound knock...knock...knock n sometimes my car can force go to left or right since i change the gearbox. my previous g/box is semi was totally damages. If i drive straight using 1st, 2nd for first movement my drive shaft also like loose.

are this all its bcoz 1) i use normal transmission oil n solution is i need change to kaaz/q8 lsd oil.
2) i use OEM right drive shaft n is the solution i need to change the long one (as i Heard)

pm the best solution Bro
:hmmmm::rolleyes::confused::confused:

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey petrol heads,
Toying with the idea of getting a peugeot 406.What japanese engine can i plonk in without changing the mountings?If not then my other option would be to BOT.If i do that would i need a standalone ECU or can i piggy bag with emanage or something similar.Hope some forumers or mechs who are familiar with these setup can advise me.thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience