Optimum Detail : A Rare Subaru Impreza S202

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yours with polishing compound cannot come off, fuh! Normally water marks should be quite easy to come off, unless yours very long already and have etched in quite deep....:hmmmm:
Yes but it doesn't look as bad as this WRX and this one can remove completely. Mine also only on the engine hood, the other parts are still ok. So I suspect, the cleaning agent that I use (this turtle wax polishing compound) is not good enough and/or cannot just do manually by hand but must do by machine too. Probably I'd still need help from pro guys like this.

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
Great job! :adore:
Thanks for your kind words bro.
I've tried the Turtle Wax Polishing compound by hand for my engine hood, not able to remove completely even though already feel buttery smooth on the finger tip.
From my professional opinion, using hand polish and expecting it to come out with a perfect finish, its almost impossible. Under the proper lighting, it will be fully swirled up from the pressure and rubbing and the cloth you use.
What do you use to clear the water marks? Must use machine or can do manual hand job?
Watermark removal vary on case. In the case of this S202, it is way too severe to be just removed with rotary polisher or a dual action polisher. So I used a acid base chemical that is usually use for glass, carefully rub it onto the paint square feet by square feet and immediately rinsing it off. I do not recommend DIY with this method because if not properly done and timed. It may damage the paint. After removing the heavy watermarks, Im left with the minor ones, which I then use a dual action polisher to finish it off.

s1tl is Ipoh based? His location is written Ipoh.
Im from Ipoh but based in KL. Izso answered for me already :biggrin:

He's from Ipoh, but based in KL.

And that S202 had thin paint too right? I remember the owner telling me Subaru went to great lengths to lighten the S202. Thinner glass, no soundproofing, etc
Yes bro, the S202 paint is hard but light. It took me about 2 and a half days to get it to this state, Im not very happy with the final results also but no choice because its the max already. You're right too, its super light weight, paint, sound proofing, glass, aluminum body panels. Utterly fell in love with the bug eye.

the swirl mark, water mark gone like that, wow. How to do ? some tips can dy. Pls.
The only way to deal with swirl marks is by polishing it. But in this case, the heavy watermark was actually "blocking" my polishing compound from attacking the swirl problem. So it has to be staged. 1st was dealing with heavy watermark build up, followed by a few combo of polishing pads and a dual action polisher to remove swirls. Because black is a sensitive colour, so just the polishing itself took me more than 10 hours. I cant really give a "tip" but the process is as of what i wrote above.

This bro. s1tl is detailing sifu mah! Sure good job one.....:driver:
hahahaha thank you bro. I didnt realize so many replies:rolleyes:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Fuhhh this aint magic show....need master sifu level of experience to deal with acid cleaner for a starter.
I stay in penang...demm. Any trusted detailer in penang that u know ?

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
Fuhhh this aint magic show....need master sifu level of experience to deal with acid cleaner for a starter.
I stay in penang...demm. Any trusted detailer in penang that u know ?
Well, I am a mobile detailer and I do provide to the doorstep service to entire Peninsula Malaysia:biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for your kind words bro.

From my professional opinion, using hand polish and expecting it to come out with a perfect finish, its almost impossible. Under the proper lighting, it will be fully swirled up from the pressure and rubbing and the cloth you use.

Watermark removal vary on case. In the case of this S202, it is way too severe to be just removed with rotary polisher or a dual action polisher. So I used a acid base chemical that is usually use for glass, carefully rub it onto the paint square feet by square feet and immediately rinsing it off. I do not recommend DIY with this method because if not properly done and timed. It may damage the paint. After removing the heavy watermarks, Im left with the minor ones, which I then use a dual action polisher to finish it off.

Im from Ipoh but based in KL. Izso answered for me already :biggrin:

Yes bro, the S202 paint is hard but light. It took me about 2 and a half days to get it to this state, Im not very happy with the final results also but no choice because its the max already. You're right too, its super light weight, paint, sound proofing, glass, aluminum body panels. Utterly fell in love with the bug eye.

The only way to deal with swirl marks is by polishing it. But in this case, the heavy watermark was actually "blocking" my polishing compound from attacking the swirl problem. So it has to be staged. 1st was dealing with heavy watermark build up, followed by a few combo of polishing pads and a dual action polisher to remove swirls. Because black is a sensitive colour, so just the polishing itself took me more than 10 hours. I cant really give a "tip" but the process is as of what i wrote above.

hahahaha thank you bro. I didnt realize so many replies:rolleyes:
Hmm before I tried the polishing compound, I already tried some glass water spot remover (Formal Hero or something) which should be acid base too but still not working. The only thing I have not yet tried is using the machine to polish.

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
Hmm before I tried the polishing compound, I already tried some glass water spot remover (Formal Hero or something) which should be acid base too but still not working. The only thing I have not yet tried is using the machine to polish.
well, if its consumer based or shelf available products, im sure its kindof weak. Professional use products are much stronger but require some skill and experience to work with else it will f*** up your paint or glass. Acid based water spot removers are especially sensitive on front windscreen. If there are wiper scratches on the glass, DO NOT use on the surface. Haziness may occur on the glass and it is irreversible:smokin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
well, if its consumer based or shelf available products, im sure its kindof weak. Professional use products are much stronger but require some skill and experience to work with else it will f*** up your paint or glass. Acid based water spot removers are especially sensitive on front windscreen. If there are wiper scratches on the glass, DO NOT use on the surface. Haziness may occur on the glass and it is irreversible:smokin:
Yeah I read about that too. I guess you must be right, the water spot remover that I got is not that strong but I thought the polisher should be able to remove if that doesn't work. I was watching in some youtube videos that to remove water spots, can try from less aggressive methods and bit by bit increase if still not working. So starts by washing & claying, then water spot remover, if still not working then light-medium polisher. That's what I've tried even though all using manual hand application but apparently still not good enough as I can still see the marks under certain light condition (even though already better than before). Most likely the products that I used are just not good enough and also because I use manual hand application.

I watched in youtube, there's this one pro detailer who actually uses Macguire's Wheel Brightner to clean water marks, do you know about this?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That is what I worry too, when some buy stronger products to use and they actually make it worse......lol:rofl:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
i work in sugar factory, guess what. Sugar dust everywhere. If just drizzling rain for 10 minutes.
thats it lah, sticky residue on car paint. :banghead:
if leave it, gone case.
2-3 days i MUST rinse the car and wipe it dry.
So you're a sugar daddy....

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
That is what I worry too, when some buy stronger products to use and they actually make it worse......lol:rofl:
have to be really really careful even for pros. the damage is irreversible. oh unless u break the glass and claim insurance hahahaha

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
have to be really really careful even for pros. the damage is irreversible. oh unless u break the glass and claim insurance hahahaha
Glass got insurance then okay, paint gone, own self pay for respray woh!

Got see some newbies, they see pros use rotary like very easy only, borrow from friend then go burn their paint, some add hologram and so on.....lol:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Owner,

Would appreciate if you could share you precious oldskool, vintage, classic car picture here..

Please keep it clean and comments and etc are not welcome.. this is strickly for pictures only.

Thank your for your co-operation.:adore:

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Copy past from Mr. 1972Mini1000Auto thread, Gorgeous

'66 Dodge Dart 270...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience