Anyone know Alza engine 3SZ-VE DVVT or VVT-i ?

carneo

Nov 10, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
According to the search of the ALZA's 3SZ-VE engine is made in China Tian Jin Toyota factory and suppose to be VVT- i but Perodua claim that is only DVVT it was same engine as 4WD Nautica(in malaysia) and 2WD Rush, event Toyota Malaysia call the 3SZ-VE for Rush as VVT-i. Is that when the engine mounted in Alza the VVT-i proccesor has been taken out in order to make the price more compatative hence the variable cam shaft link it to the mechanical actuator so it call DVVT.
Is that any one know the story behind ?:confused:

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Hi carneo,

The main change between Perodua Viva and it's predecessors (Perodua Kelisa and Perodua Kancil) would be their engines. Then it came the term of DVVT, and Perodua claiming their 1.3l DVVT saves fuel and provide power as same as normal 1.5l engines.

Let us get back to the basics, DVVT or it's full name Daihatsu Valve Variable Timing is based (copycat) on Daihatsu mother company Toyota engine, which is VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing - intelligence). We believe that DVVT is just VVT-i's engine brand name for Daihatsu cars.

DVVT and VVT-i is based by Yamaha's YPVS (Yamaha Power Valve System). Yamaha was bought over by Toyota for it's YPVS because Toyota afraid of losing to Mitsubishi's MIVEC and Honda's Vtec. Yamaha has been provinding Toyota and Daihatsu engines since.

DVVT and VVT-i engines are always put together to be compared with V-tec (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control System), i-DSI (intelligent Dual and Sequential Ignition) that is developed by Honda earlier.

All of the Vs (DVVT, VVT-i, i-DSI, Vtec, CVCC, MIVEC, CVVT...) was meant to increase fuel efficiency which is to use less fuel and produce more power from the engine. The objective is the same, the only difference would be their methods.

DVVT and VVT-i

Normal engines is good in the low RPM. However, when the RPM reaches higher level, the amount of power produced per fuel is lesser. This is because the air from outside the engine couldn't get into the combustion space in a short period of time. That's what Yamaha sees, and they developed YPVS, VVT-i and DVVT.

DVVT and VVT-i valve works like a normal engine while in low RPM. However, as the RPM increases, the valve timer shifts the time of opening of the valve a little bit earlier. The higher the RPM goes, the earlier the valve opens.

By doing this, air would hav enough time to go into the ignition room, thus making the fuel burning in high RPM more efficient than conventional internal combustion engine.

Vtec

Vtec have the same idea with DVVT and VVT-i. It acts like a normal fossil combustion engine in low RPM, however when the user revs until certain limit (usuall 5000rpm). The valve timer would activate (this is what people usually calls Vtec change) and produce a noisy sound.

It sounds a little bit like a 2-stroke motorcycle engine revs high. You feel like the torque suddenly increases and you have more power to accelerate.

What actually happens is that the valve intake open longer than normal. Allowing more air to come into the combustion chamber. The more air in the chamber, the more efficient the fuel burns.

i-DSI

i-DSI is a new technology by Honda. Instead of changing the valve timing of an engine, Honda put two spark plugs on each piston. The reason is the same.. to burn the fossil more efficiently.

These spark plugs however have the main and secondary plugs. The main plugs usually sparks first, followed by the secondary plugs to burn the remaining gas in the chamber.

The interval between two sparks was calculated in such a way to its most efficient fossil burning. In the highest RPM level, those two spark plugs might sparks at the same time to produce the largest power from the engine.

Conclusion

DVVT, VVT-i, Vtec and i-DSI is a good way developed by Japanese car automaker (Toyota and Honda) to improve the burning of fossil gas. All of them have the same objective (increase efficiency) and they do achieve their goals.

For the best fuel efficiency, MyPerodua would say i-DSI would be the best choice. For power, Vtec is the best.. and DVVT and VVT-i is in between those two.

MyPerodua welcomes DVVT engines in Perodua Kelisa and Perodua Kancil replacements (Perodua Viva). We are waiting that Perodua would implement a 7-gear no gap gearbox (like Honda Jazz) in their future installments. Coz that surely would increase the fuel efficiency of a car.

carneo

Nov 10, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Wow Realy Thanks for your professional clarifiation...appriciate that exepert giving lesson here. DVVT some people said is Dynamic Valve Variable Timing which means it was fix according to rmp and wll not logically regulate depend on real time....anyway Thanks for you posting.

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Wow Realy Thanks for your professional clarifiation...appriciate that exepert giving lesson here. DVVT some people said is Dynamic Valve Variable Timing which means it was fix according to rmp and wll not logically regulate depend on real time....anyway Thanks for you posting.
no problem..Sharing is caring :wavey:

Mohd Idham

Apr 2, 2009
Dynamic VVT used by Naza brand for its engine i.e KIA engine...hehehe...

Jan 2, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Alza engine 3SZ-VE = DVVT

the different from DVVT to VVT-i is VVT-i use computer to control valve timing but DVVT was mechanical .......

DVVT and VVT-i is not the same.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i tot DVVT and VVT-i was same...only the name was different....

both mechanical part controlled by computer to adjust intake cam timing...both on same engine model....

is it??? :adore:

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
The differences between Toyota n Daihatsu engine is thier engine code...

Toyota start with numbers, in this case 3S-VE...
Daihatsu start with leterring, for example, Myvi engine, K3-VE...

so i might be original VVT-i...maybe renamed into DVVT...
concept maybe the same, but design are totally different...

please refer to my blog...

:: VVT Pulley internal parts :: November :: 2008

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
VVTi and Vtec not really the same...but more o less plays with the timing
VTEC changes valve lift...vvti just auto advance or retard the intake cam timing to suit ur driving condition...
-Yamaha only provides the top part of the engine...the cylinder head

VTEC in toyota's engine is 2zzge with VVTLi...the L stands for Lift....like Vtec...which switches at 6200 rpm instead of vtec 5800 rpm

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

door to door service.. stubborn windscreen watermarks remover.

only need 15 minutes of your time

Satisfaction Guaranteed

RM40 per car / MPV RM60

Klang Valley Area

CALL 019-3636 883 Steven

Call for enquiries. Plz do not SMS . Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience