Door Keyhole Block - Off Plate?

EGK20A

Known Member
Mar 31, 2006
I remember back in the old Proton Wira days, these stuffs were available. It's used mainly to avoid anyone from forcing open your door lock using long metal rulers. Are they still available for modern cars? Any other options, like changing the lock barrel on the doors [ as there is a possibility of master key usage, or worse still, forcing the door open with Philips flat - head screwdriver! ]?

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
yeah bro, i'm still looking for an answer for this prob..

EGK20A

Known Member
Mar 31, 2006
I think the best way to avoid ppl breaking into your ride via the long metal rulers method is still via placing metal block - off plates on where the metal ruler can disengage the door lock. Worse come to worse, custom made perhaps?

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Make sure your alarm is sensitive and extremely loud. Have different keys for boot and doors cause they usually steal boot lock to replicate keys. Most newer Jap cars have the immobilizer chip built into the key so a simple copy won't start the car anyways.

EGK20A

Known Member
Mar 31, 2006
Oh, that one is pretty clear bro. To me, the main thing on why I'm looking for such a thing is to avoid thieves from stealing stuffs inside the car, especially when the car's window have been tinted with at least 4 mil thick tints, or when the thieves are looking for a quiet job, hence forcing the door open via the metal ruler way. Thanks for the info about different keys though, didn't think about that!

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Actually I've considered this problem before and the solution to me at least, was to obviously have an alarm but make it slightly more sensitive, invest in Llumar security tint and lastly cover up your keyhole totally which can be done at any body work or spray shop but then you're totally dependent on your remote so make sure your battery never runs flat.

That's probably about all you can do but if they really really really want to steal something there's only so much you and I can do right.

EGK20A

Known Member
Mar 31, 2006
Yeah. I've learned one thing from a certain talk I've attended before, that is to slow down the thieves. Once they've found out it's taking them too long to steal the car, too much hassle to tow the car away, or taking them too long to force open the door, the most damage they'll do is maybe kick the door, or kick the side mirror, or leave a few unsightly scratches, which, to my books, is way better than having your stuffs inside the car stolen, or worse, your car gone! I'd rather not block the keyhole, who knows, one day if I'm stuck someplace where I can't buy new batteries for the remote, or no charger for the remote [ some 2 way remotes use rechargeable option ]. Oh well, that's a last resort option lah.

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
Yeah. I've learned one thing from a certain talk I've attended before, that is to slow down the thieves. Once they've found out it's taking them too long to steal the car, too much hassle to tow the car away, or taking them too long to force open the door, the most damage they'll do is maybe kick the door, or kick the side mirror, or leave a few unsightly scratches, which, to my books, is way better than having your stuffs inside the car stolen, or worse, your car gone! I'd rather not block the keyhole, who knows, one day if I'm stuck someplace where I can't buy new batteries for the remote, or no charger for the remote [ some 2 way remotes use rechargeable option ]. Oh well, that's a last resort option lah.

yeah i wouldn't want to block the key hole as well, just in case the remote is lost/damage..hehe..but nowadays it's so diff for me to find a shop in penang which provide the service of installing metal plates inside door..been to a few shops ade, all said nope..

egk20a: u installed metal plates on ur doors?

pimpin: i think ur godzilla are equipped with the most exp+effective alarm ade, i think u dun need metal plates anymore..:biggrin:

EGK20A

Known Member
Mar 31, 2006
Not yet, as I still have yet to purchase my car. If I am able to buy the car that I want [ still trying to negotiate with the owner lolz ], then I'll open up the driver side door panel [ lucky there's only two! ], take a few pics with my 5DMkII, study the pics and see whether it's feasible or not. Then do a rough sketch, transfer the drawing to a stiff piece of paper and try it out on the door lock. Once I've got the correct size and design, off to any machine shop at Sg Besi and get it done!

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
pimpin: i think ur godzilla are equipped with the most exp+effective alarm ade, i think u dun need metal plates anymore..:biggrin:
Actually this was for my STI because someone did smash attempt to break in. There was some damage to the lock on the door. Obviously someone attempted to and was scared off by the alarm or something because I've never used the key for the door and I doubt that even 10 years of using the key would cause that sort of damage. It's like someone shoved a screwdriver.

Luckily nothing happened "touch wood".

EGK20A

Known Member
Mar 31, 2006
This is a Jimmi Jammer, sold in the U.S. Boy I've kept this weblink for over 5 years lolz! http://www.heeltoeauto.com/product.php?productid=55011

They can force the door open via shoving a Philips flat - head screwdriver that's been modified as deep as it can be, and force the item to turn the lock barrel open. Or worse yet, use certain tools to quicken their job with even more minimal noise.

Again, by slowing the thief down, since now, in this scenario, he already bodged the door lock barrel, and maybe, if he already managed to open the door, the alarm screams out loud and surprised the thief. This indirectly slows the thief down, because the loud noise disturbs his concentration, or worse yet, attracts unwanted attention to the now broken - in car, or worse, him.

Now, he would either find a way to shut the blaring alarm out, or simply run away. But if he's a pro, I can assure you, he's already wearing something to help him concentrate and he will concentrate on either driving the car away, or looking for what items that's valuable enough for him to steal.

Let's say, the thief only wants to steal stuffs from the car's interior. A professional thief will quickly remove the sports steering [ those 6 bolts + cutting horn wire will only take the thief a maximum of 1 minute flat with a certain tool, to remove ], gear knob in less than a minute, and another minute to scour for other loose items [ that is lower in price compared to the steering wheel ], and run off with his partner who is waiting with a bike behind the now broken - in car.

Total time : forcing the door open [ 2 minutes with certain tools, or even less time than 2 minutes ], removing steering wheel [ 1 minute ], removing gear knob [ 1 minute max ], scour for loose items [ 1 minute ]..... 5 minutes only.

But we can slow them down, and I can assure you, it's easy to do so! Just be creative, think a bit out of the box and you'll get the answer, and no, no need for snap - off steering hub kits, as that's a CLEAR SIGN to the thief who is casually walking from car to car to see whether that particular car is worth broken into, in other words, worth his time and risk.

Why? To them, cars parked with no steering wheels means : modified, tuned or racing. Hence to him, there must be goodies inside the car, or worse yet, they'll mark + track your car down, and tow it away when the conditions met their requirements to tow your car away.