First Impression: RCS Suspension - Velocity Sensitive Dampers

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Engine oil? I thought you need hydraulic oil for suspension, right?
depends on the viscosity needed....usually with tight valve hole size we run, engine oil or fork oil was sufficient enough.....to thick oil will result the suspension over damped massively....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
depends on the viscosity needed....usually with tight valve hole size we run, engine oil or fork oil was sufficient enough.....to thick oil will result the suspension over damped massively....
As far as I know fork oil is hydraulic oil, and hydraulic oil very light viscosity.....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
As far as I know fork oil is hydraulic oil, and hydraulic oil very light viscosity.....
hydraulic oil thicker than fork oil usually rite? never tought of using that.... (*abandon that...i thought manual gearbox oil) :lol: :rofl:

since motul fork oil works fine for our application...so just keep using that for now

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Whoaaaa....Didnt realize this thread came back to life. Shocking to hear. I just spoke to Feezam couple of months back and he told me they just moving office.

And now got new updates on the product. Is kind of a bummer to hear some for of negative feedbacks. Was really interested in this initially.

Zanskie

Mar 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Sad to hear for your bad experience though. I just installed their product on my Forte and im a very satisfied customer. From stock suspension to RCS. The difference is like day and night. The suspension is a secondhand from my friend. I got it installed from a tire shop and got some noises here and there also. I think its workmanship issue. Im going to RCS and have then check and rectify the sounds.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Turns out that the rear suspension bushings worn out, modded front lower arm (bearings) also gone. Had them replaced and now im driving with peace of mind :):):)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

flavalava

Apr 7, 2008
Whoaaaa....Didnt realize this thread came back to life. Shocking to hear. I just spoke to Feezam couple of months back and he told me they just moving office.

And now got new updates on the product. Is kind of a bummer to hear some for of negative feedbacks. Was really interested in this initially.
Hi marv3, what was the car that you intended to try out with RCS dampers back then?

Saros

Sep 9, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Huh, didn't know this thread existed.

short story:
majority of issues resolved, go talk to Feezam if you've having them. They are more than willing to help.

Long story:
I looked for RCS/RDS because with my previous car, I tried several big name "brands" and was never happy. The car never felt grippy. Sure it felt firm, stable, but when you push the limits, they come really quick and mercilessly. I crashed that car eventually. I didn't even see it coming, it just snapped loose during normal driving and I thought I was a goner when I went into the opposite lane. I survived (obviously), but the car was in a bad way.

I knew something wasn't right. I knew that stiff suspension wasn't the answer. I returned the car to stock when I had it repaired and immediately it had more grip, and more roll. But it always seemed to have an odd feeling, didn't seem to want to follow my steering properly. I suspect some serious damage was done that wasn't fixed. I decided to get rid of the car and started a new journey.

After I got my MX-5, I started looking for suspension options. I sat and drove quite a number of MX-5s with again, "big brand" suspension names. And I felt the same same snappy response with lack of grip when pushed to the limits (please do it in a safe environment and not on public roads). I was really frustrated because the stock suspension makes the car look like a 4WD (google stock MX-5 NC ride height and you'll see what I mean).

So, enter RCS. blahblahblahsetupblahblahblahinstallblahblahfinetuneblahblah.

And now I've been using my RCS one-way adjustables on my 2012 MX-5 NC for about two years+

I track the car, autox, gymkhana, on all types of surfaces (some of our roads can be called rally tracks...). I rebuild the dampers about once/twice a year (depends on my usage). The oil does pick up carbon from seals and whatnot and eventually the viscosity changes (the new seals seem to mitigate this a lot though). The oil is a CRITICAL component and I consider it wear and tear with a limited lifespan.

You must understand that this is a true performance product. This is not your typical "give you a stiffer ride feeling with low body roll" suspension. The tolerances are REALLY tight. If you've watched them build a set you know what I mean. Now compare to what you see being built from other brands, I won't need to mention names, see for yourself. Ask them how much it costs to rebuild as well.

There are no cheapo supplies being used. I saw cheap oil being mentioned, uh... nope. Unless you call Fuchs Silkolene cheap. I work with them closely on my requirements and I've personally handled all their components. They are anything but cheap.

I don't pretend to understand everything about suspension but let me tell you, once you drive RDS, other suspension just seems unsuitable and lack of grip. Nowadays when I hitch a ride in a random car at RDS, I can tell immediately, within the first five-seconds, sometimes even while the car is just reversing out of car park, that it's using RDS suspension. It just has that feel that the tyre is permanently and evenly stuck to the ground.

Take a ride in one of their cars. I promise you'll be amazed.

Reactions: flavalava

flavalava

Apr 7, 2008
Huh, didn't know this thread existed.

short story:
majority of issues resolved, go talk to Feezam if you've having them. They are more than willing to help.

Long story:
I looked for RCS/RDS because with my previous car, I tried several big name "brands" and was never happy. The car never felt grippy. Sure it felt firm, stable, but when you push the limits, they come really quick and mercilessly. I crashed that car eventually. I didn't even see it coming, it just snapped loose during normal driving and I thought I was a goner when I went into the opposite lane. I survived (obviously), but the car was in a bad way.

I knew something wasn't right. I knew that stiff suspension wasn't the answer. I returned the car to stock when I had it repaired and immediately it had more grip, and more roll. But it always seemed to have an odd feeling, didn't seem to want to follow my steering properly. I suspect some serious damage was done that wasn't fixed. I decided to get rid of the car and started a new journey.

After I got my MX-5, I started looking for suspension options. I sat and drove quite a number of MX-5s with again, "big brand" suspension names. And I felt the same same snappy response with lack of grip when pushed to the limits (please do it in a safe environment and not on public roads). I was really frustrated because the stock suspension makes the car look like a 4WD (google stock MX-5 NC ride height and you'll see what I mean).

So, enter RCS. blahblahblahsetupblahblahblahinstallblahblahfinetuneblahblah.

And now I've been using my RCS one-way adjustables on my 2012 MX-5 NC for about two years+

I track the car, autox, gymkhana, on all types of surfaces (some of our roads can be called rally tracks...). I rebuild the dampers about once/twice a year (depends on my usage). The oil does pick up carbon from seals and whatnot and eventually the viscosity changes (the new seals seem to mitigate this a lot though). The oil is a CRITICAL component and I consider it wear and tear with a limited lifespan.

You must understand that this is a true performance product. This is not your typical "give you a stiffer ride feeling with low body roll" suspension. The tolerances are REALLY tight. If you've watched them build a set you know what I mean. Now compare to what you see being built from other brands, I won't need to mention names, see for yourself. Ask them how much it costs to rebuild as well.

There are no cheapo supplies being used. I saw cheap oil being mentioned, uh... nope. Unless you call Fuchs Silkolene cheap. I work with them closely on my requirements and I've personally handled all their components. They are anything but cheap.

I don't pretend to understand everything about suspension but let me tell you, once you drive RDS, other suspension just seems unsuitable and lack of grip. Nowadays when I hitch a ride in a random car at RDS, I can tell immediately, within the first five-seconds, sometimes even while the car is just reversing out of car park, that it's using RDS suspension. It just has that feel that the tyre is permanently and evenly stuck to the ground.

Take a ride in one of their cars. I promise you'll be amazed.
Hi, anyone know if RDS is still in business?

Reactions: alcyon

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Wow, never heard of them, but what interests me is this "First test, going over the speed hump at insane speeds. Though by itself doesn't justify performance as a whole, is a good way of highlighting the ability of the Velocity Sensitive damper. It is a surreal sensation, almost mind-blowing. I expected the top mounts to explode through the bonnet but the Subaru didn't even squeak. It remained almost flat. "

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys. My friend's Yellow EG Ferios was stolen last Sunday, 2AM at MBO, Terminal Two Seremban. He went there to watch a movie. So please be extra careful if you go there. The place is equipped with CCTV but were told that not all are functioning. Below is the info of the stolen car:

1. Yellow colored EG ferio
2. Black front hood
3. Bronze CE28 replica rims
4. Plate number JCP 1636

Kindly please contact me at 013 if you happen to see the car anywhere.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience