How to you prevent buying an "Fake" engine oil?

RB26

GoKart Lover
Jul 14, 2005
selayang
www.mangoesteen.net
What is the brand do you think most will be using as a fake engine oil? Where do you normally buy your engine oil? Please share your opionion :)

Below are some news of fake oil (Sorry news are in chinese)

■ 陈进松(左一)展示劣等润滑油从铝珍倒入名牌润滑油出售。在场者左二起依祖汀、副执法主任阿斯旺阿立芬及阿斯旺依斯迈。
translate : Showing the bad quality oil from aluminium tin mix into branded bottle for sale.

■ 执法组展示起获的劣等润滑油。
(居林18日讯)劣等润滑油以名牌润滑油出售,从中牟取多倍的盈利。
translate: Bad quality oil in aluminium tin.

Translate : Showing all the branded empty bottle ready to fill with bad quality oil

Translate : Special tools to re-wrapping the bottle opener so it looks like brand new engine oil bottle.

Last edited:

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
ouch. major brands where u could find everywhere. im screwed :frown:

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
Malaysia boleh mah!!! Almost become half of Mainland already...:banghead:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hypermarkets and Tesco, Carrefour are fine. They ship their oils from overseas and being as large as they are, they cannot afford any legal issues with selling fake oils as they have a reputation to maintain.

Petrol stations selling their own brand of oils is safe too.

Lastly make friends with your local spare parts shop and buy everything from them except oil. Once you've built up a good friendship with them, you can ask more about their oils and where they source their oils from. Most shops that I've come across sell only ori but you'll never know.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
nowadays, engine oil all recycled .. right?

RB26

GoKart Lover
Jul 14, 2005
selayang
www.mangoesteen.net
Not really leh....as you can see from this news, some black shops just simply bought some cheap unknown brand oil and fill into branded oil bottle...you never know where the oil are made from...

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

Maybe buying some other brand that not so famous at the market here can help too, like badhal, ajip, etc, less people wanna imitating those brand :P

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
once bought castrol magnatec from a sparepart shop... lucky my pomen like to feel the engine oil a bit before pouring it... he says it felt 'thinner'

pour it into a container, it is kinda 'thinner'... we compare it with a leftover magnatec...

drove back to the sparepart shop, and the shop gave me the real one. They also say that if want original must quote "yang bagus punya" then you get original :hmmmm:

now, i'm just using "M Power" brand that my pomen is selling in his shop. relatively unknown, but so far so good... felt the same when using eneos oil a while back...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Not really. Mobil has this one particular brand oil that they declare is recycled oil, some sort of 'green' oil. I forgot which one already but it's not available in KL. The rest are refined and mixed fresh from the oven (so to speak). In certain countries Oil companies are required to declare that their oil is recycled.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ouch. major brands where u could find everywhere. im screwed :frown:
When they want to make fake, sure copy major brand loh! If unknown brand how to sell?

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Not really. Mobil has this one particular brand oil that they declare is recycled oil, some sort of 'green' oil. I forgot which one already but it's not available in KL. The rest are refined and mixed fresh from the oven (so to speak). In certain countries Oil companies are required to declare that their oil is recycled.
As far as I know, recycle oil is okay as long as they refine them and add back the additives. Most just filter them and repack.....:banghead:

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Hypermarkets and Tesco, Carrefour are fine. They ship their oils from overseas and being as large as they are, they cannot afford any legal issues with selling fake oils as they have a reputation to maintain.

Petrol stations selling their own brand of oils is safe too.

Lastly make friends with your local spare parts shop and buy everything from them except oil. Once you've built up a good friendship with them, you can ask more about their oils and where they source their oils from. Most shops that I've come across sell only ori but you'll never know.
Or direct from distributors like Pennzoil warehouse sale. I even got some direct from the oil blenders...:biggrin:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
all the workshop i've seen collect used oil & sell it to 'recycler'

if calculated, there're tons of recycled oil out there..

where does the oil goes? i'm sure it's not dump to some unknown places.. :hmmmm2:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
all the workshop i've seen collect used oil & sell it to 'recycler'

if calculated, there're tons of recycled oil out there..

where does the oil goes? i'm sure it's not dump to some unknown places.. :hmmmm2:
Next time must remember to ask my mechanic, see if he knows where it goes to. Of course definitely not dumped as collector have to pay for it

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
anyone remember that 2 - 3 years back there's a campaign that requires us to slash or 'mutilate' engine oil bottle... the reason being, if the all used bottles are damaged then they can't use them to sell recycle oil in it

one of mech in my area still practices this, although he also sells his used oil to 'recycler'

RB26

GoKart Lover
Jul 14, 2005
selayang
www.mangoesteen.net
Some said that put your engine oil in freezer, good quality oil tend to need longer time to freeze, I am not sure how much time is consider longer ? :P

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Honda's all new City arrives Malaysia with fresh 121ps 1.5L DOHC I-VTEC engines, including the hero car, a world's first, twin electric motor hybrid City e:HEV RS as one of the 4 variants offered.

City RS e:HEV : 108ps / 253nm / twin electric motor / 4cyl DOHC I-VTEC / E-CVT / Honda Sensing / RS bodykit / Price: TBA

City S / E / V Models: 121ps / 145nm / 1.5L 4cyl DOHC I-VTEC / CVT / Prices: V...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience