All about Vantex/Mantex/HSP/HY/HL/Clone RC Cars...

bullet_nos

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2004
PeeJay
Hey guys!

Sorry, I am very new to the 'professional' RC field...long ago i used to play with modified QD's...haha

But now I tot of entering the RC Drift scene...not for competition, but just syok sendiri la...

So i've been doin some research...and found that there are clone/copies of branded RC cars such as Tamiya, HPI, Xray, etc...

Sorry if i offend the Hardcore fans of original brands, but i guess i dun hv the budget to afford the Real-Deal.

Hence, my choice range wud be like the thread title...n i noticed the Vantex models r quite popular...

But Vantex itself has several types...from what i gather, the popular model is the Alloy chassis belt-driven one.

Question is, can this particular model do good drifts out of the box? i dun expect like high speed and all...but can it do the job? what about the other clone brands' mentioned?

speed wise, how fast roughly can it go? box says 60kmh...that's pretty fast...but is it true?

btw, i find that most prefer belt-driven than shaft-driven. what's the reason?

i dun wanna spend too much dough on it as i just tot of hvin simple fun trying to drift RC...QD's cant do it for sure.

Teng Kiu Sifu's in advance!

Cheers

Jin_Jat

Known Member
May 2, 2009
Hometown:Penang
Hi dude! im an ex-rc drifter...now i stopped playing rc becoz i think instead of playing the rc why not make the real scale one...hehehe ^_^...anyway i can give u some opinions on how to go for the first rc drift car model...

if ure a first timer, getting a shaft driven rc is better because this type of rc can actually train ur rc drifting techniques but if ure quite experience with drifting simulations or games..such as battlegear 1,2,3 & 4, D1 Granprix on PS2...then u can trust urself whether to get a belt of shaft driven...

a shaft driven rc car tends to spin out if ure not good with ur hands because these type is not a spool ( like a lock welded axle in real life) differential car unless u know how to do the mods to it...but if ure buying a yokomo brand then its already easy to drift...but with the shaft driven, u can easily clip a corner (clip means from entering a corner u attacked near it and have ur front tires near to the inner corner until exit) and u will need experience to do a brushing clip ( means clipping the rear of ur rc to the opposite of ur inner corner)...

For a belt driven, its really amazing because of the traction of the rc and the response of all the 4 wheels, depending on how u set them...the belt driven rc car is known as the king of sideways... for as long as u keep in the throttle, the rc will 'long drift' as long as u can maintain the pace and handling...

For me i prefer the belt driven because of the smoothness of the drift it makes but not to say the shaft ones cant...As for ur question, Vantex/Mantex/HSP/HY/HL/Clone RC which is better for u right? If ure low in budget better get a vantex@HY and not to say others are not compatible drifters but they will make u take more time to master techniques of rc drift...

I used to have a HL touring car and changed all four tires with a poly pipe to drift...and it all only took me a glance of below than 15 minutes to master drifts with this rc...it still does the job!! but nowadays there are rc drift tires everywhere in an rc shop so wouldnt be a problem for u...

U can also go to some rc track and ask the ppl there too for opinion...QDs can drift...just need motherload of modification...but not to be tested by first timers cause it will cost u so much money instead of buying the RTD ( ready to drift )ones...

Get a minimal budget of RM400++ and u should get what u need to rc drift...but be warned! better get ur pockets ready to replace any faulty electronics or parts because the CHINA made RCs are not of the same quality as the Japan Made ones...Just a friend's concern to u thats all...

BTW if u have extra budget for lets say RM600++, u should check out the SPRINT 416, its the copy of the TAMIYA TRF416...the parts are exactly to TAMIYAs so u can just go to TAMIYA UNDERGROUND in 1 Utama for parts and upgrades....any balance of cash u had after buying the rc, u should get ur car pimped or powered up!

hope that i helped u...any questions regarding RC DRIFTING u can ask me or other taiko here! CHeerS!

---------- Post added at 04:33 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:24 AM ----------

speed wise, how fast roughly can it go? box says 60kmh...that's pretty fast...but is it true?

Cheers
Its kind of true!! but after u plug in the drift tires, the speed will be gradually reduced due to the slippery surface of the tires...and also the surface of the track u play in...but upgrades are always next step to you...just ready up some cash and ull be fast and furious!

bullet_nos

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2004
PeeJay
:adore::adore::adore: thank u for your informative reply taiko!

ok, so my action plan: get a Vantex Model...btw, Sprint 416 is it the same as the HY clone TRF416 carbon fiber chassis model? price around RM500-600 or somthing rite?

btw, Vantex model, u mentioned since from china, the electronics sumtimes faulty...usually it's the ESC? Servo? Controller? wat other important electronics r there in this type of RC?:confused:

hm, i Think i noe abit of the basics of drifting...like how to initiate a drift...bt of cos, not really pro la...so mebe i mite go for a belt driven one terus instead of having to change again next time. i think some now selling ard rm300 or so...

btw, i oredi hv a QD...747 old model...but modified oso la...but i dun tink can drift le cos i noticed most rc drifters are 4wd...QD = rwd (altho perfect for real scale):hmmmm:...besides, the steering takda servo...1 speed...if can drift mmg skill...hehehe

btw, got 1 forummer selling his ORI tamiya ta05 r prokit RM1k mebe nego...so poisoning! haha
but i baru amateur, btr dun spend so much on such a good rc car n ltr rosakkan it...haha

teng kiu sifu!:adore::biggrin:

lain lain sifu, pls put in feedback oso ya...:wavey:

Last edited:

lixor

Nov 14, 2005
rule of tumb, start slowly, then hop up according your skill, then up grade base on your budget. Its an expensive hobby but if you take good care of your vehicle, then it will last at least 10 years.(Except electronics)

bullet_nos

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2004
PeeJay
rule of tumb, start slowly, then hop up according your skill, then up grade base on your budget. Its an expensive hobby but if you take good care of your vehicle, then it will last at least 10 years.(Except electronics)
yea, so thats y mebe i'll go for knock-offs first...

btw, vantex oso got Xray belt models...ok ka? or 416 clone btr?

Jin_Jat

Known Member
May 2, 2009
btw, Vantex model, u mentioned since from china, the electronics sumtimes faulty...usually it's the ESC? Servo? Controller? wat other important electronics r there in this type of RC?:confused:

:
ok in this type of rc, these are about the main electronics = esc, receiver, motor, transmitter(remote), servo, and battery pack...

the problem which usually occur is from the Esc and Servo...but other electronics parts can sometimes be faulty too...and also after u bought a RTD, remember to save up more money because there will always something lose or broken (dog bone, diff, damper, etc2)

Jin_Jat

Known Member
May 2, 2009
yea, so thats y mebe i'll go for knock-offs first...

btw, vantex oso got Xray belt models...ok ka? or 416 clone btr?
U should!! unless ure a rich guy with money to burn! at least these copies really imitate the real-deal rc chassis at a lower cost but u should inspect the chassis before playing such as tighten a little all the screws on the chassis such as the gear box (also same with diff housing), body post, shock tower etc2...because my friends and I experienced it before where one of my friends HY lost its rear right arm and shock tower screws while drifting! and at that time i was night time so couldnt find them until the next morning...some issues~

For me i would go for the 416 rather than xray because of parts...

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

U can also go to some rc track and ask the ppl there too for opinion...QDs can drift...just need motherload of modification...but not to be tested by first timers cause it will cost u so much money instead of buying the RTD ( ready to drift )ones...
this QD i mentioned is the 4WD QD...

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

ok, so my action plan: get a Vantex Model...btw, Sprint 416 is it the same as the HY clone TRF416 carbon fiber chassis model? price around RM500-600 or somthing rite?

btw, got 1 forummer selling his ORI tamiya ta05 r prokit RM1k mebe nego...so poisoning! haha
but i baru amateur, btr dun spend so much on such a good rc car n ltr rosakkan it...haha
yea around RM500++ ~ 600++ or so so, quite same the chassis but make sure before buying, inspect any missing screws, jammed diffs, etc2...

any of china made brand rc cars that u mention are already worth it! u said ure getting a vantex, well done nice choice, and getting a belt driven is also a good choice into professionalism, at this stage ull be able to feel the smooth drift that i told u earlier in the post...but make sure u take care of the chassis properly, as it is a belting, small rocks tends to get sucked into the belt vee and will ruin ur diff! so better play at a safe surface...its ok to play on normal road but becareful...

Is the TA05 R he sells is a RTR(ready to run) or just the kit? if he's selling only the kit, u better get a new kit because new TA05 R is only about RM1500+ or less i dunno because long time didnt keep track of these rc chassis price...if RTR, make sure u check the electronics parts and option parts he had upgraded...check how old are all the items and wat will u get other than the TA05...maybe tools, spare parts, etc2...body wise, its not really a big deal, rc body u can buy anytime and satisfy urself by buying ur favourite car make and paint...

The TA05 R is one of my favourite chassis...i really loved it because of the equal distribution of power from the motor to the front and rear diffs...quite wonderfully balanced with its center position motor...

but budget is everything, my advise to u is, get wat is within ur budget first...after upgrading step by step, u can always buy a new chassis (probably a pro kit) and transfer ur electronics to it...the older chassis maybe u can keep to make a spare if anything happens or to keep for ur children to play...ahhaha

Last edited:

bullet_nos

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2004
PeeJay
er, unfortunately, im just yr average joe that gian wanna drift rc bt limited budget...haha

btw, the ad:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/automotive-wear-and-ware/326912-tamiya-ta-05-r-pro-kit.html

dunno whether includes transmitter o not...

btw, got 1 guy selling in lelong the vantex 416 clone with carbon fiber chassis for rm490...btw, the transmitter uses wat type of battery?

is it advisable to get 2nd hand vantex?

thx for the detailed advice man...if i do get 1, must jaga...

btw, my 'QD' is er...New Qi Da...:rolleyes: but mod kau kau la...hehehe

but i oso hv a very old QD from Tamiya...but its 2wd oso...Buggy.

so, u dun own any more rc cars? or just collecting dust somewhere?

cheers

Jin_Jat

Known Member
May 2, 2009
er, unfortunately, im just yr average joe that gian wanna drift rc bt limited budget...haha

btw, the ad:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/automotive-wear-and-ware/326912-tamiya-ta-05-r-pro-kit.html

dunno whether includes transmitter o not...

btw, got 1 guy selling in lelong the vantex 416 clone with carbon fiber chassis for rm490...btw, the transmitter uses wat type of battery?

is it advisable to get 2nd hand vantex?

thx for the detailed advice man...if i do get 1, must jaga...

btw, my 'QD' is er...New Qi Da...:rolleyes: but mod kau kau la...hehehe

but i oso hv a very old QD from Tamiya...but its 2wd oso...Buggy.

so, u dun own any more rc cars? or just collecting dust somewhere?

cheers
i dun own anymore rc, i sold them all already after stopping...2nd hand? dun..unless the 2nd hand is worth buying because of the upgrades...but better buy new...

bullet_nos

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2004
PeeJay
yea, wear n tear very dangerous...thx for yr advice n tips man! ltr maybe i drop by tamiya 1 utama poison myself abit...hehehe

cheers man! owe u teh tarik...haha

Jin_Jat

Known Member
May 2, 2009
No problem man, just being a friend thats all, anyway i think u should head out to local rc tracks to find out more info about rc drifting...maybe u could gain knowledge over there...but dun be poisoned by some rc dudes at the tracks as they will poison ur mind to get the expensive stuffs hahahaha...after all, it all comes back to you whether u have the budget or not...

another piece of advise is that u should consider doing it step by step, dun simply see ppl use, u also want to use...this will make u spend more money without hesitating...especially with the electronics parts...like i said before...save some money to replace first before thinking of upgrading...

P/s if want to upgrade better make sure the best of quality products...

bullet_nos

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2004
PeeJay
earlier i dropped by 1U to check out the Tamiya shop...wah, the TT01-D E-type RTR looks quite tempting...is it a good body to drift? cos i see the chassis is made of plastic...but at lis nama Tamiya la...hehehe

Jin_Jat

Known Member
May 2, 2009
earlier i dropped by 1U to check out the Tamiya shop...wah, the TT01-D E-type RTR looks quite tempting...is it a good body to drift? cos i see the chassis is made of plastic...but at lis nama Tamiya la...hehehe
hahaha very tempting indeed and yea its made of plastic...thats y first timers always get their hands on the China made first bcause its not that different than the original 1, only minor faulty parts...even if u bought the original, it doesnt mean the electronics parts will not be faulty, if not careful...but it is at better quality of course....

either way...it is up to you though...its not wrong to get the original 1 because they are made according to higher quality standards as they are known around the world for it...

but make sure u really choose the chassis properly, otherwise will let u down later...such as chassis made of silly materials, unavailability of opt parts, etc2...the tt01 is known as the 'have to upgrade a lot' chassis since the parts in it are mostly plastics...

bullet_nos

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2004
PeeJay
aiks...ok, den since im still a noob, btr dun get the branded stuff just yet...

btw, i noticed that the copy of 416 got got some parts made of plastic while the ori 416 made of alloy, such as the bulkhead (i tink that's wat it's called..:hmmmm:)...are these parts susceptible to damage? also on the adjustable camber and arm area...the adjustable nut/screw is made of alloy...but the 'holder' on both ends is plastic...will it last?

Jin_Jat

Known Member
May 2, 2009
aiks...ok, den since im still a noob, btr dun get the branded stuff just yet...

btw, i noticed that the copy of 416 got got some parts made of plastic while the ori 416 made of alloy, such as the bulkhead (i tink that's wat it's called..:hmmmm:)...are these parts susceptible to damage? also on the adjustable camber and arm area...the adjustable nut/screw is made of alloy...but the 'holder' on both ends is plastic...will it last?
these plastics on the copy brand will last u for months if u are careful enough...and the option parts are available in 1U as they resembles quite the same...in the mean time before these parts go boom, u will already have spare money to get urself better parts...

thats y the ori 416 kit cost u a fortune...they are better at quality and the parts given are mostly hop-ups already...the china brand is not that bad though...its just that u just have to hop-up parts urself instead of getting it out of the box...atleast u get to run it out of the box rather than to have to assemble and buy electronics parts after buying the kit...

and dont worry to much about the china brand stuff...just be kind to it and try to play as carefully as possible as we all know the quality of the make...dun do dare devil stunts! hahahha, even the ori will have a problem with that...hahahaha

u can slowly upgrade the UJ, motor mounting, shocks, arms, etc2 later when u have concluded another budget regarding the chassis...as for electronics parts...just slowly plan ur way...if ure getting the feeling of being an enthusiast...try getting hold of a brushless w/ esc, then upgrade ur receiver and remote (i suggest u target a 2ghz remote which comes with a servo)...then battery pack (a li-po will blow ur mind away)...

P/s...u should get urself the tools to tinker with ur chassis and a brush to clean ur chassis after playing...CheeRS!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

where the best and good price shop to do polish.....just bought 2nd hand car..so need to look ok lar..hehhehehe
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience