ZF introduces world’s first nine-speed gearbox

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

It was only a matter of time before the game of one-upmanship borne the successor to the eight-speed transmission and ZF have now introduced the world’s first nine-speed transmission that will surely further improve fuel economy and has been designed to fit multiple uses of transversely mounted engines.

ZF claims the transmission will be able to improve fuel economy by up to 16 per cent in comparison to six-speed auto transmissions that are now commonplace. According to ZF, the nine-speeder will allow the engine to run at 1,900rpm against the 2,600rpm an engine would be running if mated to the six-speed gearbox.

Not that automakers will be hesitant about using the nine-speed gearbox in their products but ZF have gone the extra mile to ensure the gearbox can be utilized for a multitude of applications. Although designed for front-wheel drive cars with transversely mounted engines, the gearbox will be able to cater for all-wheel drive as well as hybrid duty. It can safely handle between 271Nm to 478Nm of torque.

The design can see the fitment of an additional transfer case for all-wheel drive applications. As the main purpose of the gearbox is to further reduce fuel consumption in a vehicle, it is also stop-start capable and does not need an extra oil pump.

There’s still no word on when the gearbox will be officially available in a vehicle but we’re pretty sure there won’t be a shortage of automakers lining up to be the first to debut a nine-speed transmission in their cars.

Source: Autoblog

crazybiscut

Known Member
Jun 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
i just read sumthin called "Zeroshift" in a motorcycle mag, supposedly a technology developed for Motor GP thats giving Honda the edge. Im still not sure how it works but its says the its better then the dual clutch tranny and this system can be adapted current transmissions ( dont know if it also applies for cars ). Wondering these 2 things have a connection?

E-CB3 - 666

Emperor
Apr 25, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
OMG. 9 speed? TG it aint 13 speed truck. i still cant imagine how many time i need to shift. manual 6speed is good enough for me.

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
cant imagine down shifting + heel and toe from 9 to 2...sure got leg cramps after that...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I was wondering, as my fuel consumption has gone up quite a bit, if my fuel rail/line is leaking, how do I tell if it is, and how can it be fixed?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience