X-Trail owners

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Seriously
asking
Used Xtrail worth to buy ? considering it since value is reasonable price nowday

as well gatal to swap VET on it

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi CKeng1,

Yea, I remember Ken often mentioned about you. You are his partner in crime! hahaha. Are you still having your exy? Did you do the BSR too? I'm inclined to go with the chain cut, throw out the shafts but putting back balance shaft covers plus oil plug. (see 02-06 QR25DE free balance shaft removal..)

Did you went for this option as well? I'm curious to find out because you seems to have some experience there. haha. What type of tuning are you referring to - idling? Also, wanted to find out, how is the engine condition a year after :) i'm sure there's nothing serious but it takes comfort to find out as well. hehe.

Seems to be quite in most forums without Ken around. haha.

Hope to hear from your opinion and Ken's contact soon.

Thanks.

ckeng1

Mar 8, 2006
Hi Caarzee,

I am driving the XT, 8 yrs and mileage is about 130,000km. thinking of replacement, but not many option these days(and money is another issue), any good suggestion?

I didnt carry out the BSR, since the kit will cost about 300USD, the cheapest way is just open up and cut the chain, leave the balance shaft run free inside. The downside is to check the idling condition, since the engine may vibrate more.

I did quite a lot to my XT, no time for the piggy back mod.

I think 2 of us frustrated about the other forum because the admin...

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

have you try out the light weight pulley, seems like i cant get access to it.

Last edited:

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hi CKeng1,

Wow. 130k for 8yrs. I've already clocked 140K in 6yrs, mostly city drive. Is this your weekend car? My next car, if ever be, will be a full hybrid. Perhaps Prius. but having sat on a SUV, not sure if i'm about to switch for a sedan car. haha.

JWT BSR now cost about USD80. About the chain cut, where did you get the feedback from? mostly from forums or from someone you know? I'm interested to find out more from first hand conversion. I assume the idling will be set upwards. Is that a correct assumption? Mine is about 750-850rpm at the moment.

What else did you mod your XT? Interested to find out too. haha. Did you decat like that Ken did?

I'm interested to piggy back mod, but looking at Xtrail ecu works on a closed loop, not sure if that's good. A tuner from puchong recommended me to use an electronic fuel regulator (EFR) first for better a/f ratio, and torque output.

yeah, i heard about Ken's frustration. i've heard he moved to canada? would like to get in touch with him.

I've gotten a LCP from 2JR (about RM400 after conversion plus shipping) about just two months ago. Happy with it. I don't do redline a lot but certainly it improves in drivability and slightly improve in the car fc at about 10-20km of the same tank capacity (plus same driving style).

May I ask, what is your current exy fuel consumption (ltr/km or km/ltr) is like? I assume you own a qr25. Mine's a qr20, FC is about 52liter for 410km. I find it bad, that's why I'm interested in BSR, and then do a EFR and close shop on mods.

hope to hear from you soon.

thanks

ckeng1

Mar 8, 2006
HI Caarzee.

Cutting about the chain, there is plenty on the link that u sent to me, Most of them did that on their sentra, but i didnt receive any local information.

I am not keen to further modify the XT now, plenty of rattling noise come out, especially after turning on the aircond.

What is LCP? (i am driving 2.0L also....)

I redo the extractor, 4-1, remove both cat by replacing 1 bullet and the rear muffle replace with Matola 2L muffler (s-type). (Jaffar in sunway), then i found a good muffler guy in Kepong, near the maybank there, good experience, but not good workmanship. hahaha

My current FC is about 3/4 tank can reach about 400++km, depends on how i drive these days. I did advance the timing, so FC is slight higher compare to normal XT

I think Ken install his AFC controller(piggy back) from 1 of the puchong car mod center also.

I remember that fuel regulator doesnt work in our car since the engine is design in the sense of computer chip control, only AFC ratio can be adjusted.

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi CKeng1,

Yea, so far, Ken is the only guy I know had done BSR. So, it will be good to hear from feedback from him personally. Did you manage to get hold of his contacts?

Rattling sound after a/c turned on? If I may suggest, do a good quality grounding. I did mine for RM100 by this reputable/honest/humble seller ([WTS] Custom made grounding cable), 4pts grounding (fw-alternator, engineblock-fw, engineblock-battery, battery-fw). Your electricals will run better esp with a/c working, and gear change will be smoother. I also bought a voltage stablizer RM160 from him (there wasn't any hardcore selling from him) and days later, I personally asked if he could do a direct +ve cable from battery to alternator (with a fuse near to the battery). All this are proven effective at least for me. Read his forum, there's good few feedbacks as well.

LCP = lightweight crank pulley. I got them here (2J-Racing Lightweight Crank Pulley QR25DE)

I got a chap ayam 4-2-1 header (hotbits are known to crack), and redo the downpipes to less restrictive flow. So previous cat-con is now just a pipe and the existing bullet is where it is now and then the stock muffler behind. Interested to know more about your exhaust, if you have a picture taken and uploaded somewhere, that would be great. did you do anything with intake? I remember Ken kept it at stock for the intake and with hotbits 4-2-1 for the exhaust, but can't recall how he set up the rest of the exhaust.

So, you have two bullets (one that replaced the decat, and another the original bullet) before the motola muffler? I remember Ken had motola too.

Your FC seems reasonable, better than mine. I'll get 350-380km with 3/4 tank only.

here's the guy who tuned exy with electronic fuel regulater, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...7470775133.402157.319009980132&type=3&theater.

I'll like to do this EFR first and maybe months later the piggyback (probably Work's EMS or Emanage).

What other mods that you have done and you think it's effective on your exy?

thanks.

ckeng1

Mar 8, 2006
Hi CKeng1,

Yea, so far, Ken is the only guy I know had done BSR. So, it will be good to hear from feedback from him personally. Did you manage to get hold of his contacts? <-- I will pm you his personal email..

Rattling sound after a/c turned on? If I may suggest, do a good quality grounding. I did mine for RM100 by this reputable/honest/humble seller ([WTS] Custom made grounding cable), 4pts grounding (fw-alternator, engineblock-fw, engineblock-battery, battery-fw). Your electricals will run better esp with a/c working, and gear change will be smoother. I also bought a voltage stablizer RM160 from him (there wasn't any hardcore selling from him) and days later, I personally asked if he could do a direct +ve cable from battery to alternator (with a fuse near to the battery). All this are proven effective at least for me. Read his forum, there's good few feedbacks as well. <-- I dont think the sound from not proper earth, It might be the physical part hiting each other, i may need to find out more, especially during start the car in the early morning.

LCP = lightweight crank pulley. I got them here (2J-Racing Lightweight Crank Pulley QR25DE) <-- is it the same diameter? I would like to try out..Any significant effect?

I got a chap ayam 4-2-1 header (hotbits are known to crack), and redo the downpipes to less restrictive flow. So previous cat-con is now just a pipe and the existing bullet is where it is now and then the stock muffler behind. Interested to know more about your exhaust, if you have a picture taken and uploaded somewhere, that would be great. did you do anything with intake? I remember Ken kept it at stock for the intake and with hotbits 4-2-1 for the exhaust<-- He redo with Jafar, but can't recall how he set up the rest of the exhaust. <-- I think QR25 engine intake comes with metal, and QR20de comes with plastic. But my opinion, keep the ori 4-1 extractor if you are looking for low rpm with high torque.

So, you have two bullets (one that replaced the decat, and another the original bullet) before the motola muffler? I remember Ken had motola too. <-- Yes, 2 types of bullet, 1 straight and 1 circular flow

Your FC seems reasonable, better than mine. I'll get 350-380km with 3/4 tank only.

here's the guy who tuned exy with electronic fuel regulater, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...7470775133.402157.319009980132&type=3&theater.

I'll like to do this EFR first and maybe months later the piggyback (probably Work's EMS or Emanage).

What other mods that you have done and you think it's effective on your exy?

thanks.
I take out the voltage stabiliser and remain the earth due to it affect my pick up power., but another way it does improve the speaker bass quality. besides, my earth cable is currently contacted to 5 points - alternator, engine block , battery,2x body, felt diff initialy, but nothing much now. may need to redo and sand off the rust.

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi CKeng1,

For LCP, the given url earlier is stock-size lightweight pulley = same diameter as stock pulley. This is not an underdrive pulley. The effect is that (1) slightly better fc, perhaps 10-30km based on full tank (2) quicker rpm response due to light weight material.

Grounding is good and sufficient, but the quality of wire makes it more efficient as well.

For discussion purposes, the other day, I did a trial/error thingy. The stock intake has a vacuum/hose line from air intake (after MAF) to the engine breather (that circulates air of the crankcase ventilation). What I did was to put a cap on the vacuum/hose outlet at the stock intake and put a mini air filter at the engine breather. So, now these are separated. Using a OBD2 reader, I find the engine load is lighter (reading from idle and first gear) but fc is heavier(about maybe 50km less than the original setup). However, when I put back to stock setup, the engine load is heavier but fc seems better. Have you encountered such silly setup before? hahaha.

Thanks.

ckeng1

Mar 8, 2006
I think i understand what your experiment, the increase of the amount of hot air affect the fuel required to burn. it is similar like running the car at night, the air is denser and fuel is higher, so we felt the car is more powerful...

ckeng1

Mar 8, 2006
Have you come across the throttle body extender. The aust member got it from Canada and 'review' that works. But I have doubt on that, if we are looking for the extender, we can just extend the air vent out...or slot in a pvc pipe for that section(even samco soft pipe will do)..

ckeng1

Mar 8, 2006
Hi Caarzee,

The TB extender is install before the TB butterfly valve (TB>TB Extender>soft hose>air filter), something like that.
I think it is looks like a thin plate compare the photo you attached, and it is made of light alloy.. Only extended about 5mm, I dont really understand the theory behind. I believe it doesnt make sense to TB, routing cleaning is better, hahahah

Are you using any mushroom type air filter, any diff compare to drop in replacement? I am using K&N, which make diff for me after replace the extractor + cat off+ muffler..

Caarzee

Aug 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hi CKeng,

It kinda doesnt make sense if the extender is before the TB (in between TB & Air filter). There's actually a formula / calculation to the length of ram airpipe from intake opening to TB (Browser Warning).

I have one TB Spacer, installed between the intake manifold and TB. The increase is very minimal. It's about the same price as LCP, so I say, LCP is a better choice.

I'm still on my stock airbox with K&N. oddly, my FC decreased compared to generic Tan Choong air filter.

Regarding the questions that I had another day about breather, this is a good article from a friend. (Crankcase Ventilation Explained - N/A Edition)

Managed to get Ken, thank you. He says BSR is good mod with little/no vibration, no need to reset ECU or whatsoever. I'll probably do this in a few month's time when I get my oil change interval :)

Thanks.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear All,

I decided to install exedy racing clutch button type on my satria neo. Which one is better, 3puck or 4puck?...Based on the best performance..:smokin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience