wuts up with those?!

andaq

Jun 9, 2005
kuala lumpur
i knw u guys hv recently seen a wide-spread splurge of fuel-saving/power boosting gizmos in the papers n mags. sum priced as low as rm20 n can get up to rm350++ 4 a full set. with names like magsavers, micro-compressors, jet n even tongkat ali 4 kereta! :eek:

i dont really wanna put them down but wut i wanna know is; ARE these gizmos 4 real? i mean, CAN they really save fuel n give a little boost 2 yr engine?

i'd buy the micro-compressor just 4 curiosity but if i do, izzit worth my bucks? can sumbody give sum thoughts bout this?
towkays are welcome 2 comment. ;)

PetrolHeaD

500 RPM
Dec 15, 2003
well...ive got a friend who drives a waja (1.6A) and he gets 540km for a full tank...when he got the car it had that EPS fuel saver (some magnet that u clamp on the fuel line)...so he doesn't know if it really does anything or not...

is 540km on a full tank normal for a waja?

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
some of the gizmoz (micro compressor..etc) use vacumm line to allow more air to enter bypassing carb or air flow meter.. mixture will be lean so u will get "some" mileage..

andaq

Jun 9, 2005
kuala lumpur
arigato!

Maxx said:
some of the gizmoz (micro compressor..etc) use vacumm line to allow more air to enter bypassing carb or air flow meter.. mixture will be lean so u will get "some" mileage..
thanks guys. maybe ill get me 1 of those. they're not really expensive. but im asking u guys 1 thing:

*wut other ways tht r cheaper n effective in giving my stock engine a little boost? a bigger boost would be better. i'd opt 4 the usual air filter mods, plugs n cables. r there any ways i can do?

ModMaestro

Known Member
Jun 13, 2005
PJ & Sandakan
There's an old trick in modding the aiir filter. Drill some holes in it. But make sure it's on the side before the filtering. If not, you're beter off without a filter :D

can also use this trick on your cat converter. But don't tell anyone I told you so....

andaq

Jun 9, 2005
kuala lumpur
tipu some more also i dont know la..

ModMaestro said:
There's an old trick in modding the aiir filter. Drill some holes in it. But make sure it's on the side before the filtering. If not, you're beter off without a filter :D

can also use this trick on your cat converter. But don't tell anyone I told you so....
last week i shopped around looking for air filters. was looking 4 sumthing like k&n or hks but the taukey said tht i hv to get a whole new intake set-up coz those after-market filters cant go with the stock box unit. izzit true? to get a new unit wouldnt cost me a lot would it?

Last edited:

yuh_woei

Known Member
Sep 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
540 km ???...... drive at highway at 80/90 km/h ok lah...... at city area + traffic is sucks, 340km is good already. but that thing "EPS fuel saver " no idea.

cheers

PetrolHeaD said:
well...ive got a friend who drives a waja (1.6A) and he gets 540km for a full tank...when he got the car it had that EPS fuel saver (some magnet that u clamp on the fuel line)...so he doesn't know if it really does anything or not...

is 540km on a full tank normal for a waja?

ModMaestro

Known Member
Jun 13, 2005
PJ & Sandakan
andaq

I DIY the K&N cone filter before. Just take out the stock filter box and strap the cone onto the place for the throttle air intake. Aside from that, you might have another hose, dunno what's it called again. Something like the enginge air breather hose. basically if you cover this hose, your engine won't start. That hose would have to be plug by one of those mini filter.

also, you might encounter problem with your air sensor if you have one.

the taukey was probably talking about a whole induction kit, with the proper piping to fit all the odds and ends. I guess it depends on what brand you get. Just the K&N cone filter is already about RM300 on my car, so budget accordingly.

PetrolHeaD

500 RPM
Dec 15, 2003
yuh_woei said:
540 km ???...... drive at highway at 80/90 km/h ok lah...... at city area + traffic is sucks, 340km is good already. but that thing "EPS fuel saver " no idea.

cheers
my friend does city driving most of the time...so it (the eps crap thingamajig) must be doing something...

littled

Known Member
Nov 18, 2004
540 on the highway at about 130 is achievable
shell normal unleaded
no need v power
know this is a bit off topic but if u really want better fuel consumption, which petrol do u use?
currently driving a waja 1.6a n use shell
find tat it gives the best milage as compared to petronas/projet n bp
mobil f1 synergy is also not bad for fc, pick up slightyly better
dunno if this has anything to do with the additives in the petrol.

changed my filter to k&n drop in and also changed a 4-2-1 extractor

jee_square

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
Taman Melawati
The micro compressor thing sucks la! What car u driving andaq? I got one already, my bro la gatal pasang.. It can suck in more air and gives u a lean mixture, but u loss power and ur spark plugs get overheated very easily.. When u rich the mixture, it is just as good as having no micro compressor installed in terms of power.. One more thing, it will surely kacau ur timing.. Sometimes ur lucky u save fuel, sometimes bye bye to ur fuel.. One thing only good la, itu pun if ur setting dah cun.. U can climb up hills without much stress even when the A/C is on.. Hope that helps!

andaq

Jun 9, 2005
kuala lumpur
clicker happy paradise

ModMaestro said:
andaq

I DIY the K&N cone filter before. Just take out the stock filter box and strap the cone onto the place for the throttle air intake. Aside from that, you might have another hose, dunno what's it called again. Something like the enginge air breather hose. basically if you cover this hose, your engine won't start. That hose would have to be plug by one of those mini filter.

also, you might encounter problem with your air sensor if you have one.

the taukey was probably talking about a whole induction kit, with the proper piping to fit all the odds and ends. I guess it depends on what brand you get. Just the K&N cone filter is already about RM300 on my car, so budget accordingly.
:) appreciate yr help. i still do want to get a whole new induction unit under the hood. the prob with after-sales product is the middle-of-the-sales salesman. aiyoo evrything also good for yr car.

budget's not really a prob but i do need to knw tht my money's worth spent. one more thing, if u have a larger-than-life mouth so u can gulp a whole lamb inside, u must also be born with larger-than-life asshole to get tht lamb out again :D . wut i mean is if i installed a proper above-average air sucker, i must also get a good pipe to get the hot air out in a proper way. dont wanna be like a couple of goons who comes to bengkel ah seng on weekends with a catchy line tht says "ah seng ah, kasi pasang turbo sama ekzos skyline punya sama saya punya kancil ah tengkiu".

andaq

Jun 9, 2005
kuala lumpur
nudge, nudge, wink, wink..

jee_square said:
The micro compressor thing sucks la! What car u driving andaq? I got one already, my bro la gatal pasang.. It can suck in more air and gives u a lean mixture, but u loss power and ur spark plugs get overheated very easily.. When u rich the mixture, it is just as good as having no micro compressor installed in terms of power.. One more thing, it will surely kacau ur timing.. Sometimes ur lucky u save fuel, sometimes bye bye to ur fuel.. One thing only good la, itu pun if ur setting dah cun.. U can climb up hills without much stress even when the A/C is on.. Hope that helps!
honestly i got a fair balance of pros n cons about this "tongkat ali for kereta" gizmos. sum say they're good, bit more power, bit less fuel consumption n the others say they're just fiddlesticks, total smartshop crap n just another way of selling wut u dont really need in the first place.

i know now wut they actually do or can do. but if u put in more details n interest into it, the taukey will actually "recommend" u a whole set with 2 air suckers n 2 magnetic thing to get a the real "power" out of yr car. basically its short for buying 2 whole sets of those. n they'll sumtime give a "free" engine tuning to adjust the timing with the new set-up.

the fact is sum say it's good, some dont. im really comfortable sitting on the fence. like i said before, i'd buy this thing out of curiosity, really.

thanks jee for yr two cents. sumtimes i feel like im just the new kid in kindergarten. sila beri tunjuk ajar.. even from ladies younger than me. salute to all of u.

btw, i drive a stock kancil with a modified tissue box n tons of fragrances. tht'll sure make the ladies drool over me hehe :D

ruhaz

Known Member
May 1, 2004
we learn from mistakes....
not all of us born with knowledge about engine/turbo..bla bla...
not all of us buy cars already fitted with force induction....
we hear..we read...so we make the choice...some experience the thing was good..some are not...that's the way we learn...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Im using s90 on civic b20b but now getting prob on unstable idling n heard many user facing same problem bcs of vacum leak. Some said using 1gen S90 throttle body not facing idling issue. Some of bengkel said S90 itself prob ( most my frenz using on cibiv b series).

I was tried some method to get stable idling like TPS adjust, Iacv clean n etc. no check engine but still getting prob. 1 more wat the diff cooper butterfly wif crom butterfly? Any diff?

Try getting others brand as Skunk2...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience