WTA: Owning a Evo VIII

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
This is what I'm also wondering actually here in Malaysia. I heard for this type of cars (high performance ones), they'd add some loading so the premium will be more expensive coz it's categorized as sports car, is it true?

Then if we do install very good alarm and immobilizer systems, can that reduce the premium?

last news I read from Paultan is that starting July they'd revise the insurance regulation to make it more free to the insurance companies to determine and therefore make it more like developed countries such as US whereby the premium will depend of the type of cars & age, driver age, gender, records, etc2 so in summary be more risk specific based premium. So if this comes true than such cars will really get hit with high premiums. This TS should also consider.
yesh.... me kene 30% loading.... (could be more, i cant really remember)

as of right now you could have a 5k alarm system, they dun care, they charge the same premium (afaik)

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I like this sorta thread. Nevermind he comes in asking about owning a nice car and all, but at least sets realistic expectations and provides complete info.

So let's break this down a bit. There's a EVO VIII in ZTH that's selling for 90k that's almost stock. So I'll use that as a guide.

1. Your salary is 4k + 1k a month. Banks will only look at the 4k, and take 30% of your gross salary as your loan capability per month. So that's about RM1200 approvable loan. Do you have any outstanding credit cards? Property under your own name or shared? Ptptn? Deduct all that from your salary before taking out 30% as your approvable monthly instalment.

2. You have a Lancer. I'll assume it's the 4B11 generation one. Resale value for a 2012 model is about 50k. So the Evo being 90k means your loan will be 40k and interest on used cars isn't cheap, I'm gonna guestimate it about 5%. Max loan for older cars these days is 5 years. So that means monthly including interest for 5 years is roughly about 850 a month.

3. Petrol on a Evo is about 6 to 10km/L max. Full tank of RON97 40L is RM78. KD to Subang and back sounds like roughly you travel 70km a day just to work. So 20 days work (weekends off) is 1400km and if I take the average of 8km/L fuel consumption, that's roughly 5 times refill in that 20 days. So your petrol bill in a month will minimally be RM400. This is not including weekends, if you include - it'll probably shoot up to RM600 depending on where you go and whether you boost or not.

So that's RM500 (average) petrol and RM850 monthly instalment.

4. Then there's maintenance. The VIII is not a new car - parts will break down, things will need replacing, the oils alone for this car will be expensive since you'll be using the good stuff for the engine, gearbox, LSD, er.. I forgot one other thing. I recall it needed 4 types of oils to replace. Then there's the tyres. 17" reasonably good tyres go for RM400 a piece for roughly a year. And since the car is turbo, your oil changes will be helluva more frequent than NA. Maybe every 5000km change oil?

5. Evo's are very high on the thief list. You'll be worried about the car day in and day out if it's a daily. Then the amount of money you'll end up spending on security will add up to be about 3k+ (I did something similar to my car in the day).

Not trying to discourage you but just laying down the facts. Evos are awesome cars. Just that most awesome cars need a lot of money to keep it awesome.
Wow a comprehensive analysis, which is what i am asking for. Seems like you are having one for yourself. I am very aware of the AYC, ACD maintenance. Many other owners i met were shocked when they first having their first EVOs. For maintenance wise, let's hope and pray hard nothing major needs replacement except for typical oil changes and brake services.

Evos are high on thief list ? That is something i don't aware. Need to invest in quick release steering wheel and pedal locks then hahaha.

Anyway reason i chose VIII over IX or even X simply because i like its shape more than others. In fact my best choice will always be VII but its too rare to find a lightly modified one.

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Wow a comprehensive analysis, which is what i am asking for. Seems like you are having one for yourself. I am very aware of the AYC, ACD maintenance. Many other owners i met were shocked when they first having their first EVOs. For maintenance wise, let's hope and pray hard nothing major needs replacement except for typical oil changes and brake services.

Evos are high on thief list ? That is something i don't aware. Need to invest in quick release steering wheel and pedal locks then hahaha.

Anyway reason i chose VIII over IX or even X simply because i like its shape more than others. In fact my best choice will always be VII but its too rare to find a lightly modified one.
I assumed you have already done your research on it prior to the creation of this thread since you have met a lot of owners. Anyway, from your reply it seems you have made your decision. Enjoy the ride :biggrin:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I assumed you have already done your research on it prior to the creation of this thread since you have met a lot of owners. Anyway, from your reply it seems you have made your decision. Enjoy the ride :biggrin:
Hahaha well indeed i am, for many years before. I promised myself if i can earn about RM5k a month i will really look for an EVO. For the meantime i will lay low and keep searching for a lightly modded unit. Stroked EVO engine is a big NO to me.

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
Actually I also had a dilemma like you last time..

I drove a Perdana V6TT (my favourite like you waited for 9 years but lucky price for perdana drop) before but for a year after used I sell the car off since once I calculate the maintenance and the time lost for this, I can buy a brand new car with no worries for another 5 years which I am using the car now...hehe...
Every time sit at garage just to wait for the repair, service, and upgrading until one time my gf (now wife) ask me to marry the car instead of her.
It will be like having a pet or mistress once you own such monster thus pocket always dry, want to go here need to think and calculate, go there also calculate on the budget.

Manual also will make your life miserable since you are in Klang valley thus you can not able to guarantee that your butt will stick in office for another 5 years since such market situations.

The FC, no need to think it will be low since mine full tank just can reach 350km (since modded a lot) only i dont know how many liter tank (5 year back already) but damn can easily reach RM 1000 just for petrol a month coz every tank RM 100++

Just my experience, at the end also depends on you...
me now just an a pek sitting a family car with kids now..
every one also want to owe their dream car, make sure that car is a liability not an asset.

Good Luck :smokin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
every one also want to owe their dream car, make sure that car is a liability not an asset.

I think you meant the other way around. Anyway car is always a depreciating asset. Just make sure you're financially able to absorb that depreciation.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

So even with such detailed analysis which doesn't look promising to you, you still want to go ahead?? Not sure why you ask this question in the first place if you seem to already make up your mind to begin with.

Quick release steering would not help much if the theft is already observing your car for some time. He'd just bring a steering along to fit it and drive away. Doing that will also reduce the safety of the Evo coz you'll take away 1 most important air bag from the steering already. And you'd need many more than just pedal locks.

Actually if you join some of the Evo forums in FB, there are quite a few VII on sale now, some even as low as only 60-65k now but of course much harder to get loan if any.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yesh.... me kene 30% loading.... (could be more, i cant really remember)

as of right now you could have a 5k alarm system, they dun care, they charge the same premium (afaik)
Mine 20% loading already complaint a lot, yours 30%?.....wow!:smokin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

I drove a Perdana V6TT (my favourite like you waited for 9 years but lucky price for perdana drop) before but for a year after used I sell the car off since once I calculate the maintenance and the time lost for this, I can buy a brand new car with no worries for another 5 years which I am using the car now...hehe...
Every time sit at garage just to wait for the repair, service, and upgrading until one time my gf (now wife) ask me to marry the car instead of her.
It will be like having a pet or mistress once you own such monster thus pocket always dry, want to go here need to think and calculate, go there also calculate on the budget.

Manual also will make your life miserable since you are in Klang valley thus you can not able to guarantee that your butt will stick in office for another 5 years since such market situations.

The FC, no need to think it will be low since mine full tank just can reach 350km (since modded a lot) only i dont know how many liter tank (5 year back already) but damn can easily reach RM 1000 just for petrol a month coz every tank RM 100++

I was about to mention the reliability part. Putting aside for installments, petrol, maintenance is the easy part, only the unexpected major repairs for an old car, that can cause a lot and a lot of time too, like bro. mag mentioned.

But then again what does TS want out of the car. Drive a power car or satisfied with just a normal car.....:smokin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If the detariff follows the UK style of insurance, we're all doomed to hell. Not only do we have one of Asias most expensive cars, we will also have Asias most expensive insurance policies.

In UK if I recall specific group of cars are categorized under different insurance groups and then the age of the driver further contributes to the insurance tariff. The younger you are the more expensive it is.

Anyway MitEvo7 : If you're looking for a VIII - here's one :

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=460514

This car was the one I based my assumptions on. 90k for a super stock 8 with bodykit .

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
if it takes age and all that into account.... matilah saya...... will not go find the raja bomoh to stop that from happening
*runs off to find coconut/watermelon man*

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
So even with such detailed analysis which doesn't look promising to you, you still want to go ahead?? Not sure why you ask this question in the first place if you seem to already make up your mind to begin with.

Quick release steering would not help much if the theft is already observing your car for some time. He'd just bring a steering along to fit it and drive away. Doing that will also reduce the safety of the Evo coz you'll take away 1 most important air bag from the steering already. And you'd need many more than just pedal locks.

Actually if you join some of the Evo forums in FB, there are quite a few VII on sale now, some even as low as only 60-65k now but of course much harder to get loan if any.
Sorry mate, i am in the grey area, choosing getting or not getting. I am about 60% getting, now it all depends on the test driving experience of any available units to finalise my decision. Test driving would be the last decision factor.

Whether my future Evo will get stolen or not its really entirely up to luck. Insurance will cover that part if i am really that unlucky.

I've got offer to try on a GTA, love that car but the interior just horrible, especially that tacho and steering wheel.

Great life experiences you shared. Well at least you get to own it before you sell it off. I wouldn't know what would happen either after i own one. Anyway thanks for your input, even though your dream car is different than mine but the dilemma is still the same. My GF actually said that if i really want it, i should go and test drive as many times as i can in different occasions (peak traffic hour, normal hour, in city) to see whether it suits my style. I only driven an Evo 6 about 7 years ago on LDP for merely 10 minutes, so that experience is very minimal to affect my passion. I will go and have a few drives before making decision.

I was about to mention the reliability part. Putting aside for installments, petrol, maintenance is the easy part, only the unexpected major repairs for an old car, that can cause a lot and a lot of time too, like bro. mag mentioned.

But then again what does TS want out of the car. Drive a power car or satisfied with just a normal car.....:smokin:
Spot on. Who knows what would happen after i test drive. May be the driving feel is not what i wanted even though i always imagining driving it ? Just like getting into a relationship with your high school crush, you wouldn't know until you had it with her.