[WTA] - Looking for skilled detailers / Need advice on paint condition

theordinaryfolk

Jul 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi there all members from zerotohundred (:

I'm in the lookout for people with proper and personal experience for this matter. If you are a professional detailer in business, please pm me as i would rather pay someone to do a goodjob than to put risk on DIY.

So here's the story. I just bought a used car with Toyota Super White factory paint. The paint has been out of the showroom for 12 years and God knows how did the previous owners treated it. All i know now is that the paint has accumulated about at least 4-5 years of dirt and grime.

In high hopes to restore the paint as a person who isn't that good with DIY jobs, I first used a high pressure jet to spray off excess dirt and grime all over the car from top to bottom. I then washed the car with Turtle Car Wash solution along with the two bucket method using a microfiber mitt-sponge. Reason for me using a mitt-sponge is that I heard it is suitable for a gentle wipe and is safe even if i scrubbed hard.

I repeated this process for about 3 times for every panel. (rinse > wipe > rise x3 times ) Along with changing the rinse bucket water several times.

The result from this is that i can still see a layer of black dirt and grime still sticking to the paint. Even though chunks of dirt came off the car and destroyed the floor of my house porch ;(

I was hesitant to use any form of claybar as I still see an obvious layer of dirt on the surface.

Should I use another tool instead of a gentle mitt-sponge and try something like a microfiber cloth or a sponge to do the job at this stage? Please advise me on what to do from here. Also, respraying or vinyl wrapping the car is not an option because of various reasons.

Thanks a lot guys. :wavey:

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

I'm in the lookout for people with proper and personal experience for this matter. If you are a professional detailer in business, please pm me as i would rather pay someone to do a goodjob than to put risk on DIY.

So here's the story. I just bought a used car with Toyota Super White factory paint. The paint has been out of the showroom for 12 years and God knows how did the previous owners treated it. All i know now is that the paint has accumulated about at least 4-5 years of dirt and grime.

In high hopes to restore the paint as a person who isn't that good with DIY jobs, I first used a high pressure jet to spray off excess dirt and grime all over the car from top to bottom. I then washed the car with Turtle Car Wash solution along with the two bucket method using a microfiber mitt-sponge. Reason for me using a mitt-sponge is that I heard it is suitable for a gentle wipe and is safe even if i scrubbed hard.

I repeated this process for about 3 times for every panel. (rinse > wipe > rise x3 times ) Along with changing the rinse bucket water several times.

The result from this is that i can still see a layer of black dirt and grime still sticking to the paint. Even though chunks of dirt came off the car and destroyed the floor of my house porch ;(

I was hesitant to use any form of claybar as I still see an obvious layer of dirt on the surface.

Should I use another tool instead of a gentle mitt-sponge and try something like a microfiber cloth or a sponge to do the job at this stage? Please advise me on what to do from here. Also, respraying or vinyl wrapping the car is not an option because of various reasons.

I think you can go thru the pages of "Car Detailing Forum" to choose your pick....

Many professional car detailers there!

And I find them very friendly as well ! :hello:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Post some pictures for all of us to see, then get in touch with many pro detailers here excluding me :biggrin: DA, Seech, kc, veloc, s1ti, muyo, eoh, krismas, v2r, and many moreeeeee !!

Btw, if you just glide the claybar gently with the right lubricant, I personally do not think that it will harm you paint. If you have a claybar, mayb you can try it at some small panels of your car first before doing the whole car.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
1) KC
2) seech
3) S1tl
4) DarkAccoon
5) Veloc
6) muyo
7) eoh
8) Krismas.
9) etcs

Well as per mentioned by cvkit17. There are many more.

Also as per mentioned by Lesley, check out Car Detailing Forums Section. You can see their work there and then PM the
ones that you prefer or more confident with.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
1) KC
2) seech
3) S1tl
4) DarkAccoon
5) Veloc
6) muyo
7) eoh
8) Krismas.
9) etcs

Well as per mentioned by cvkit17. There are many more.

Also as per mentioned by Lesley, check out Car Detailing Forums Section. You can see their work there and then PM the
ones that you prefer or more confident with.
No: 5 is in Land below the Wind. right? Must buy AA ticket for him woh!....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

No harm trying the clay bar but this will remove surface contaminants only.
Next you will need a polish if dirt has etch onto the paint.
Prep your surface before apply any wax/sealant.

Your white is solid white without clear coat, right?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

USED THIS OIL FOR 2 DAY n engine start kik kok sound.opened n see conrod beearing n crank beearing all out..drive not more than 3 hour,not only me, 3 of my fren also become victim, just to share only..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience