WTA : Buying a Pajero IO

Wanggot

May 22, 2006
Jay Bee
Dear sifus,

Im looking for a comfortable 4wd for working.
For a budget below 20k, Im thinking of a 99/01 CRV or this 99/01 Pajero IO.
For CRV I have no issue since the B20 engines parts are easily to be found.

For Pajero IO, I have visited some used cars and found out even for the car >15years vehicle
interiors are intact, engines in good shape, and no visible rust on the body.

The only thing that worries me is maintenance and engine parts (1.8 and 2.0). Will it be headache later? Appreciate anyone who owns Pajero IO can share their experience.

Thanks.

Attachments

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Dear sifus,

Im looking for a comfortable 4wd for working.
For a budget below 20k, Im thinking of a 99/01 CRV or this 99/01 Pajero IO.
For CRV I have no issue since the B20 engines parts are easily to be found.

For Pajero IO, I have visited some used cars and found out even for the car >15years vehicle
interiors are intact, engines in good shape, and no visible rust on the body.

The only thing that worries me is maintenance and engine parts (1.8 and 2.0). Will it be headache later? Appreciate anyone who owns Pajero IO can share their experience.

Thanks.
First of all I don't own an IO but the LO model.

I would say that almost all io owners don't take their Pajero offroad so its very hard to see abused unit.
IO is regarded as a lifestyle vehicle by most not as a proper offroader.

The 1.8 engine is from 4G93 family engine so engine parts is not a worry, parts should be easy to find and can be interchange with different Mitsubishi model as the engine is widely used. I have heard some of the part is the same as the mitsu waja part. However the body part is a bit hard to find and prices can be steep.

The 2.0 engine on the other hand is from a different family engine so I cant say anything about that.

Comfort?
I would say the CRV will have the upper edge. A pajero is a proper 4x4 suv, u cant have proper offroader which will have comfort level like a softroader.

I will go for Pajero because there is this kick you get from driving a proper offroader regardless on road or offroad. Best thing is you don't have to go fast to feel it.

I would also like to remind you that Pajeros are beginning to be popular among car thief starting 2 month ago. They are targeting the LO and V model. If you are a bit more adventurous then I suggest you have a look at the 2 door LO model. You will be the talk of town if you own that.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
CRV already mean Comfortable Runabout Vehicle.....sure more comfy loh....

Wah! they target for spare parts?

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
by comparison, the IO is a bit crampy inside.
Look wise, IO looks slightly macho than CRV.
Uniqueness, IO wins. CRVs are littered on the road.

Wanggot

May 22, 2006
Jay Bee
I am not planning to go offroad but the place I work require all vehicle to be 4x4, suv, pick up (working in petroleum yard).
As I said, I have no issue for CRV only don't like the position of gear lever (at steering shaft).
Ohh and if the engine code 4g93 sure no headache later.
In the meanwhile, I will try google the LO models.
Thanks alot sifus, hopefully this will conclude my search.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Can't remember which particular crv model, but the dashboard is a turn-off for me.....

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
CRV already mean Comfortable Runabout Vehicle.....sure more comfy loh....

Wah! they target for spare parts?
yup,for spare part.
got a friend from a club got his stolen and he manage to recover after 2 pursuit event.
kinda hard for him to chase his own pajero when the engine of the stolen pajero is 2jz if not mistaken.
when he recover,few part are stolen..gril,wiring,driver seat,rims,few others.

TS,
for got to warn you that for the 2 door lo,price is north of 20k even its older than the io and crv.
dont be surprise eh....its that rare.

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
No just the 20k budget for the car, but also need to throw in a couple of thousand RM for just-in-case-maintenace, once bought the IO.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
No just the 20k budget for the car, but also need to throw in a couple of thousand RM for just-in-case-maintenace, once bought the IO.
Second hand car normally got to do that loh, especially changing all the fluid will already cost quite a lot....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
yes, wear and tear stuff too.....and if the new owner is itchy finger, might spend more money on ICE, sport rims upgrade, tyres, etc.

All in all, car ownership (of new or used cars) isnt just easy and simple as paying monthly installment.

Wanggot

May 22, 2006
Jay Bee
Correct KY,

Considering the car aredi 15 years old, Im sure there will be wear and tear parts to be replaced.
I never own any 4x4 before that is why Im pretty concern abt maintenance.

A friend recommended me a 2006 Perodua Kembara (DVVT) which he claimed easy to maintain. But at the moment I will stick to the IO case.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Correct KY,

Considering the car aredi 15 years old, Im sure there will be wear and tear parts to be replaced.
I never own any 4x4 before that is why Im pretty concern abt maintenance.

A friend recommended me a 2006 Perodua Kembara (DVVT) which he claimed easy to maintain. But at the moment I will stick to the IO case.

When shopping for the IO, do have a mechanic to tag along to see the condition of the car.
Engine and trans, shouldn't be a big prob if the previous owner(s) took care of the car.

Engine and trans are built to (almost) bullet proof level.

Bodykits (if you wanna upgrade in the future) might be limited in the market. Not impossible to find, if you know the IO kakis well.

Visually, Kembara looks abit on the "soft" side. The interior is crampy and it is underpower for me, at least. The thing I worried most is the high CG. I have this phobia this car can topple, even though I have not seen one topple before. It's just psychology thingy for me...hahaha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anybody tried buying china oxygen sensor before? Anyone bought before and is it ok?

I tried to find new oxygen sensor for my car, its a nissan primera P12 engine. The sensor connector is light blue color, with 3 wires. Couldnt find original or branded oem sensor. All i can find is china brand or no brand oxygen sensor from china..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience