WTA: BT 20v knocking sound....

MR. TOM'S

Known Member
Apr 28, 2006
hi to all,

I've got a problem wif my BT engine..
Its a knocking sound when i pressed my throttle pedal
too bad when the air-con is ON..

my BT engine still in stock...just using splitfire cable plug, iridium plug, hks open pod and AFR, straight flow exhaust.....the rest is stock

I try refer to my mechanic...tried retard and advanced my distributor..but still the same....changed oledi ECU, plug coil, petrol filter, cable plug, plug (borrowed from fren)..but the result same after tunning....my mechanic suggest me to upgrade the injector...
As i knew that knocking prob very dangerous to the engine and need to solve it fast...

So the Q are.....
How to solve this problem???
What i need to check???
Any1 from here had a same prob wif me...???
What suitable INJECTOR tat can fit my 20v???
Can 20v be tune using same as what proton and mitsubishi done ??? (dono what machine name..but when i used my wira before had done the tune and its work very well to my 1.5 wira)

SO to all sifu outthere...gimme some ideas and opinion regarding my problem.

cybtech

Known Member
Feb 20, 2008
where do u think the sound came from?
Top? Block?
CAM pulley ok? VVT ok? checked?
my 2 cents....:hmmmm:

scomatic

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2005
Kota Bharu, Kel
try you go to Dyno... after dyno then you will know... By your situation, the stock injector is more than enough. 315cc side feed injector. That why i don't think it is knocking sound.

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
try you go to Dyno... after dyno then you will know... By your situation, the stock injector is more than enough. 315cc side feed injector. That why i don't think it is knocking sound.
Dyno won't solve the problem at all. You get the the power reading and AFR reading from the Dyno.
By the way 20V injector is 295cc NOT 315cc.
Engine Specifications and Comparisons

Don't provide misleading information if you don't know or not sure.
i don't know why, you just reply all the topic either you know the answer or not.
To show ppl that you know something? Don't do that if you don't know because you'll be laughing stock. Even worst if they try what you've suggest and cause damage to their engine.
Please do you homework. Although everyone free to voice up their opinion on forum but at least make it a useful suggestion.

Last edited:

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
hi to all,

I've got a problem wif my BT engine..
Its a knocking sound when i pressed my throttle pedal
too bad when the air-con is ON..

my BT engine still in stock...just using splitfire cable plug, iridium plug, hks open pod and AFR, straight flow exhaust.....the rest is stock

I try refer to my mechanic...tried retard and advanced my distributor..but still the same....changed oledi ECU, plug coil, petrol filter, cable plug, plug (borrowed from fren)..but the result same after tunning....my mechanic suggest me to upgrade the injector...
As i knew that knocking prob very dangerous to the engine and need to solve it fast...

So the Q are.....
How to solve this problem???
What i need to check???
Any1 from here had a same prob wif me...???
What suitable INJECTOR tat can fit my 20v???
Can 20v be tune using same as what proton and mitsubishi done ??? (dono what machine name..but when i used my wira before had done the tune and its work very well to my 1.5 wira)

SO to all sifu outthere...gimme some ideas and opinion regarding my problem.
what you can do it try to retard your ignition distributor timing by a few degree.
If it's still doesn't solve the problem, check the fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure also can cause the pigging problem. Make sure the fuel pressure is around 40psi at WOT and nothing lower then 30psi for ideal.

Beside that, pls check your engine operating temperature also, higher operating temp also can cause pigging. it's premature ignition due to heat, high compression or lack of fuel.

nafiiio

Known Member
Aug 22, 2006
what you can do it try to retard your ignition distributor timing by a few degree.
If it's still doesn't solve the problem, check the fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure also can cause the pigging problem. Make sure the fuel pressure is around 40psi at WOT and nothing lower then 30psi for ideal.

Beside that, pls check your engine operating temperature also, higher operating temp also can cause pigging. it's premature ignition due to heat, high compression or lack of fuel.

That's right .. last time my engine had knocking sound because of my fuel pressure was too lean .. (that's whut happen if u install the afpr from accessories shop.. they just know to install)

MR. TOM'S

Known Member
Apr 28, 2006
I tried to retard the distribution....better a bit..but seem like in mid RPM my engine dont have power at all....like "sebu"..happen when rpm 3k to rpm 6k...

How to check the fuel pressure???
40 psi at WOT???? WOT????

My engine operating was normal.....
Sori coz im newby......:adore::adore::adore:

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
I tried to retard the distribution....better a bit..but seem like in mid RPM my engine dont have power at all....like "sebu"..happen when rpm 3k to rpm 6k...

How to check the fuel pressure???
40 psi at WOT???? WOT????

My engine operating was normal.....
Sori coz im newby......:adore::adore::adore:
you need fuel pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure.
WOT = Wide Open throttle (Full pedal)
Engine operating temp is the water temp.

scomatic

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2005
Kota Bharu, Kel
Dyno won't solve the problem at all. You get the the power reading and AFR reading from the Dyno.
By the way 20V injector is 295cc NOT 315cc.
Engine Specifications and Comparisons

Don't provide misleading information if you don't know or not sure.
i don't know why, you just reply all the topic either you know the answer or not.
To show ppl that you know something? Don't do that if you don't know because you'll be laughing stock. Even worst if they try what you've suggest and cause damage to their engine.
Please do you homework. Although everyone free to voice up their opinion on forum but at least make it a useful suggestion.

yes, the injector is 295 cc, my mistake!
sorry.... Dyno there can get to check whether the AFR is lean or rich, but i didn't said it will fully solve out the problem. Normally the stock engine won't need to replace injector as him formen said ma. Retard the timing is good idea and check the fuel pressure is important, but need the tools le.

I not to show i know something, but just to share ideal. If it not suit you or not useful suggestion, then you can try edit it out what. Share idea only no hunt. - Peace -:burnout:

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
beside checking your fuel pressure...you can also install A/F Ratio meter...tom's got one for sale...

it will indicate your AF = Air Fuel ratio lean, stoich or rich...

got white smoke came out for tail pipe or not ?
have you check and listen is there any sound came from conrod bearing...?

vh-101

500 RPM
Dec 14, 2006
Have you check the rubber of the engine mounting ? Just my suggestions because you said knocking "sound". :proud:

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
Knocking sound that he mean is detonation in combustion camber. That mean premature combustion.

MR. TOM'S

Known Member
Apr 28, 2006
thanks for ur info guys.....appreciate a lot...
will try to ask and suggest my foreman this weekend

may i know can 20v engine be tune wif MIT tunning machine...like proton cars do..???
Have any1 tried before...just wanna ask...

And actually how to tune 20v engine....isit oni tune the distributor???
I heard tat 4 throttle can be tune....??? where n how much??

Thanks guys.....:adore::adore:

QiW

6,000 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
KL
Visit site
20v is OBD I controlled engine .. u will not be able to "tune" it normally .. OBD is a self correcting ECU as its name suggest .. On Board Diagnostics

whatever u try to change in tuning the ECU will try to revert back to the pre-determined factory settings .. the only way u can TRULY tune it is changing the ECU itself ..

regarding the tuning the 4 throttle .. YES it can be tuned .. each throttle opens individually and therefore has different vacuum pressure sucking air in .. to tune that vacuum u will need a device that can detect the pressure of the individual throttle at certain RPMs .. hopefully yours has not been meddled with coz that will oso cause incorrect AFR going into engine ..

sifoo EG9 ... dont laa so marah ppl .. hehehehe
i oso wish i have a 20v laa now :bawling: