Wrap extractor for longer fan's motor lifespan (& reduce engine bay temperature)

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Jebatdex,

From the photo, I would recommend you to
1) wrap the extractor entire length. (fyi, 1 roll of wrap is about 20meter for about RM25. Maybe cheaper if you get discount. Need 2 roll to wrap it properly for your case)
2) raise the hood hinge, to let trapped hot air escape from engine bay (better result, DIY some louvers on the bonnet)

This would reduce heat built-up in the engine bay, and lessen the chance of melting the fan. The heat issue need to tackle bit by bit through trial and error.

slipar

500 RPM
Apr 29, 2006
banting - pj
im in trouble la like this..
been using aftermarket extractor for years now..
in jebatdex photo can see the gap between extractor & fan..
in my car gap cannot see anymore..like only few mm only..the metal cover behind fan motor also have to remove to clear the extractor..
i think wrap also the wrap cannot clear the gap..hahah..
time to change extractor la..will attach pic if possible..:bawling::bawling:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
im in trouble la like this..
been using aftermarket extractor for years now..
in jebatdex photo can see the gap between extractor & fan..
in my car gap cannot see anymore..like only few mm only..the metal cover behind fan motor also have to remove to clear the extractor..
i think wrap also the wrap cannot clear the gap..hahah..
time to change extractor la..will attach pic if possible..:bawling::bawling:
Then yours was badly done.....:banghead:

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
change fan location lor. Instead of pulling, use it to push air...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
This is the photo:

The gap (highlighted in red) between the motor and extractor is (for me) very close. Or maybe I just wrap that particular area of extractor which is closest to the motor? hehe no need to wrap the whole extractor? :confused:

hi ken, my car is 1996 1.6L Satria 4G92, absolutely NA
4G92 oil filter is in such a weird location. Anyway my 4G15 extractor / fan is spaced similar to yours and in 9 years I've only had to change the fan twice. If you want, I have unused titanium extractor wrap which I reluctantly have to sell since my car is going away. Just PM me if you're interested.

What is heat shield made from? Can take an aluminium piece and wrap with aluminium foil or what?
I have a friend who took a sheet of alu, cut out a cardboard template of the extractor cover, using the template cut the alu and installed it like that. Works and looks great. I probably should have done that but I only have steel sheets which is bloody impossible to cut without the right tools (which I don't have).

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
4G92 oil filter is in such a weird location. Anyway my 4G15 extractor / fan is spaced similar to yours and in 9 years I've only had to change the fan twice. If you want, I have unused titanium extractor wrap which I reluctantly have to sell since my car is going away. Just PM me if you're interested.

I have a friend who took a sheet of alu, cut out a cardboard template of the extractor cover, using the template cut the alu and installed it like that. Works and looks great. I probably should have done that but I only have steel sheets which is bloody impossible to cut without the right tools (which I don't have).
That is why I prefer to use aluminum too. Lighter, easier to handle and does not rust....:driver:

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
How your friend install that piece of aluminium sheeting? How to hold it in place?