Wrap extractor for longer fan's motor lifespan (& reduce engine bay temperature)

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
won't the wrapping trap a moist and cause the extractor to rot?just curious:confused:
unless your car has not been driven for damn long time, with constant high humidity in engine bay.....then there is a chance to rust. However, it wont rust if the extractor is stainless steel.
It definitely WON'T rust if the car is driven daily as the moisture don't have a chance to stay on the heat wrap when the extractor is heated up when engine is running. Go drip water on your hot extractor and see how fast water vapourised.

I would be more worried about crack extractor (due to heat) than rust on the extractor due to water/moisture.

If rust is still your worry on the extractor, ceramic coat it. But mind you, the ceramic coating would possibly cost more money than the price of extractor itself.

john_unai

Known Member
Aug 9, 2011
mtkb
I see. Anyway, any idea on how to wrap the extractor without taking it out from the engine bay?:stupid:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I was just considering to change to 4-2-1 but after reading all these, I start to think twice before I change....

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Can be done if you want a shitty job. Very little space to move around, the mechanic or person doing it will curse you forever
haha.. so better let the shop do it. Can you recommend any exhaust shop around shah alam/klang valley which can do a good job for this? :listen:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
yeah.....when ppl play-play & mods with cars, I dont think there is such thing as nice and easy way.

In a bigger picture, I sometimes think it is really funny that ppl wants all in their car - uniqueness (barang rare), loads of power, easy maintenance/operate, cheap to buy, high resale value, easy maintenance, easy on fuel consumption, easy spare parts, head-turner car, chick magnet, performance (speed, pick-up, handling, etc), cheap roadtax and insurance, etc.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
my opinion: just wrap the extractor. Ceramic coating is not really worth it since it is very expensive, even more expensive than the extractor itself. There is very limited space so putting a heat shield will drop your radiator and fan efficiency too. When your car is not moving with engine on, the hot air will trap in between the fan and heat shield.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
my opinion: just wrap the extractor. Ceramic coating is not really worth it since it is very expensive, even more expensive than the extractor itself. There is very limited space so putting a heat shield will drop your radiator and fan efficiency too. When your car is not moving with engine on, the hot air will trap in between the fan and heat shield.
Thanks cvkit, will go for it! After quite a lengthy discussion here, I can conclude that I will go for extractor wrapping, otherwise I might choose to change the motor in a few years time down the road. Wrap it also can reduce engine bay temperature. Crack/corroded extractor not really the issues; I drive my car almost everyday (avoid wrapping become wet. If it gets wet though, the water will vaporise fast when taking into account the temperature of the extractor) and not using it to the extreme (race or rev to very high rpm), so not much pressure/high temp of the extractor.

So far, thats the summary that I can extract from the knowledge sharing of all sifus here. Please add more if you have :driver:

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
yeah.....when ppl play-play & mods with cars, I dont think there is such thing as nice and easy way.

In a bigger picture, I sometimes think it is really funny that ppl wants all in their car - uniqueness (barang rare), loads of power, easy maintenance/operate, cheap to buy, high resale value, easy maintenance, easy on fuel consumption, easy spare parts, head-turner car, chick magnet, performance (speed, pick-up, handling, etc), cheap roadtax and insurance, etc.
Haha.. correct bro. Sorry if my question there is not appropriate. I am new in modding. In fact, it is not really modding la, just more to improve the system of my old car.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi ppl..dis is just for discussion sake...i know most ppl think dat dis is ez or waste of time etc etc but i think its worth doing..well anyways hehehe..

topic 1
say a normal twin core radiator..ermmm from a wira/satria 1.6..can it b changed to a smaller size but aluminium..say from a saga or sumthin?wats d problem (if any) wiz dis set up?eg. in terms of cooling performance

topic 2
most radiator fan are based behind d radiator (rite???)..ermmm can it b put in d front n wat r d problems...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience