Works Engineering Pro Gauges Review

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
Hi all, today I would like to share my experience with this heartache gauges. So here's the story.

I bought 2 works engineering pro gauges
1) Oil pressure
2) Exhaust temp

So i installed it according to the manual and it works great until i found something not quite right with the readings. The first one that causing some differences in the reading is the oil pressure. Heres the spec of my car oil pressure:
1) 3krpm
2) 3.75 kg/cm^2
3) at normal running temp

When i drove the car with easy and relax style, the gauge works perfectly great. The reading smoothly increase to 3.75 kg/cm^2. But when i WOT till let say 7krpm and return back to 3krpm smoothly,the gauge wont say 3.75kg/cm^2, instead it will show higher oil pressure reading. So how to solve this problem? EASY, just need to put the gear in neutral and let the rev till idle speed. Then the gauge will show the exact oil pressure reading.

So that was for the oil pressure readings. Now for the Exhaust temp, It was doing great until yesterday drive back home from office. I install the probe at my exhaust manifold on the 4th runners. The exhaust temp should be at:
1) around 620-650 celcius
2) cruising speed
3) 2.5krpm / 90kmh at 5th gear

So yesterday the exhaust temp gauge shows 350 celcius when i was crusing back home, I was like wtf, my engine runs so rich? The maximum temperature when i accelerate it to 110kmh, it only showed 400 C when the exact number should be around 700-740 C. So today i did some troubleshooting, when driving the car, exhaust temp shows around 470 C at 2.5krpm. Since my car has a turbo timer, i just turn the ignition off to shut down the gauges (while at speed at 2.5krpm(engine doesnt shut down)) and turn on the ignition again. Now the reading is back at the correct position, 650 c.

So what i found from the troubleshooting is that the sensor is good shape but the gauges could not calibrate itself when there's a rapid change in pressure. Meanwhile for the exhaust temp, I have no idea why its not working as it should be.:confused:

Owh btw,both of the gauges is less than 1 year old. Maybe when iam not lazy i will make some video reading:biggrin:

I hope Works Engineering Representative could help me regarding the issue or give me a brand new gauges.HAHAHA

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
Update:

So today I went to the guy whom u bought from at sunway. So i told him the problem and then he calls works enginnering HQ(or Sales,i dont know) to tell about the problem. Then he told me to go to works engineering and seek advise from them.

I went to works engineering and was entertained by 2 sales person or engineer. Told him the problem and he said it must be the sensor. But i doubt the sensor that was the culprit, as the sensor only send signal but the meter who analyze the voltage signal from the exhaust temp sensor. After further discussion i found out that
1) works engineering product use the same factory from Greddy.
2) the sensor is the same from greddy.
So for my problem, he asked me to analyze by switching my oil pressure meter to read data from the exhaust sensor, from there i will see whether the sensor or the meter is making the problem. I think this is the best solution as they could not guarantee me that my sensor is the culprit. The works engineering team is pretty helpful.:biggrin:

On the other hand, I would like to notify you all that prior buying any brand meter from shop, please ask them the warranty period, as the guy who i bought the meter from,he only said that the warranty is only for 3 months and below. But after checking his advertising at mudah.my, it says 1 year warranty. Once again i asked him why is it in the advertising it says 1 year warranty?
His answer is simple: his worker put the wrong statement,it should be for another meter/gauge brand. (BTW, my warranty still have 3 weeks to go b4 1 year.)

So my conclusion is that,please check the warranty b4 u purchase anything, put it in the receipt if you could.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
if it fails..might be better and cheaper buying the fake defi and use happily..if faulty also no regret..so cheap... :biggrin:

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
oil pressure gauge to be read using exhaust temp sensor and vice versa? will it work? How will it read?
Is it by displaying the true value or displaying that the gauge is getting a wrong source of info/invalid sensor (gauge blinking, audible warning, yada2...)

i don't know...maybe I'm wrong but it feels a bit awkward to test it like that....unless both were pressure gauges, then it will be possible

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
agree with MKMD428, I have never heard of oil press sensor can be swapped with exhaust temp sensor

from what I know the one that can be shared with oil press is fuel press sensor

and yea, nowadays even some Greddy meters are manufactured in Taiwan as Works Engineering does as well

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i think just to check if the sensor working or the meter itself faulty..because all those sensor will send voltage signal...variable reading is roportion to variable voltage value sent by the sensor...hence if the sensor faulty, it will keep faulty no matter what meter is used..if meter is faulty...vice versa happens...

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
i think just to check if the sensor working or the meter itself faulty..because all those sensor will send voltage signal...variable reading is roportion to variable voltage value sent by the sensor...hence if the sensor faulty, it will keep faulty no matter what meter is used..if meter is faulty...vice versa happens...
What he said is correct, I wanna do that and i did it but the reading was too much differences. I plugged oil press gauge into exhaust temp sensor and it says about 7bar when the engine is cold in the morning. The oil press graph only goes till 10bar,so i cant analyzed whether the sensor or gauge is broken.

Yes for you guys out there,better off buying cheaper brand gauge than this shit, i saw my cousin's shadow gauge also broken. Go high end or the cheapest you can buy, anyone tried DEPO gauges before?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Thanks for sharing.

1) works engineering product use the same factory from Greddy.
HAHAHAHA, LANJIAO. I should sell that sohai made in China Android phone call IPONE, same factory as Apple iPhone!

2) the sensor is the same from greddy.
As above.

What he said is correct, I wanna do that and i did it but the reading was too much differences. I plugged oil press gauge into exhaust temp sensor and it says about 7bar when the engine is cold in the morning. The oil press graph only goes till 10bar,so i cant analyzed whether the sensor or gauge is broken.

Yes for you guys out there,better off buying cheaper brand gauge than this shit, i saw my cousin's shadow gauge also broken. Go high end or the cheapest you can buy, anyone tried DEPO gauges before?
Buy USED. I have an old school GReddy Electronic boost gauge. Use until bulb burn, I change to LED bulb, and today still fucking accurate. How I know? Cause my car cuts boost at 1 bar due to ECU. And the GReddy is able to record the peak accurately when I hit it.

Real GReddy, the gauge lasts longer than the bulbs they use.

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
Thanks for sharing.

HAHAHAHA, LANJIAO. I should sell that sohai made in China Android phone call IPONE, same factory as Apple iPhone!

As above.

Buy USED. I have an old school GReddy Electronic boost gauge. Use until bulb burn, I change to LED bulb, and today still fucking accurate. How I know? Cause my car cuts boost at 1 bar due to ECU. And the GReddy is able to record the peak accurately when I hit it.

Real GReddy, the gauge lasts longer than the bulbs they use.
Buying used item also need to check it first,once bought hks evc 5,and the thing fuc*ed up already, was showing 0.7bar and theres no way to calibrate it.

eh btw, works engineering is going to sell multi meter just like the greddy multi meter D/A or sumthin, they said they just reband the item like m7 does with blitz products

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
A used Electronic boost controller needs more attention on the solenoid. However, as far as gauges are concern, genuine gauges like what ixeo mentioned without a doubt lasts very long.

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
Dang thanks for the post. Had some interest to get this gauge for my ride. Now to think of it, any other gauges that is reliable? If budget permits I would love to go for defi but it's too exp.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have 2 meters from Depo. Not a clone of anything and is it's own brand. A 4-in-1 and a vacuum. Both worked great with my old car.

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Is there any gauges or display that is 1 pcs but show all the parameters (for conti cars)? Like some LED screen but u can see 4-5 parameters? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

marv3

Known Member
Jun 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Got. Haltech IQ3 dash. You interested?

But i see from the website, it says it is for Haltech ECU wor....:hmmmm:

Im looking at those plug in to OBDII type. I found 1 which is UltraGauge. But i am looking at other brands if there is.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guys!hello! i'm new here! :biggrin:
alittle introduction of myself,20yo,stay in malacca,previously own a Viva with minor performance mods(exhaust,plugs,air filter,shocks) till 1 night i fell asleep and crashed into trees,the whole engine fly out 10 meters away :driver: :banghead: :P i were fine tho just broke my arm and ankle but my car were not :P

so long story short,i'm planing to buy a proton satria with 4g63t VR4 about 12-15k.i'm able to claim about 23k from insurance company,so...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience