Will Izso buy a good car???

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Huh.. I've driven a stock standard Lancer 2.0 as well and I didn't like how that drove at all. And the 320i E90 i'm driving around atm has a barge heavy feel and it's the full Msport 2011 LCI 320i car too. I dunno - I prefer the BMW anyday over the Lancer. I'm just not a CVT fan except for the one found in the subaru impreza saloon car. That one doesn't even act like a CVT
If you talk about response upon take off, the 320i is faster to get off the starting line. Lancer's sluggish CVT is tuned to have slight slip at lower speed and full bite after taking off. It terms of all around acceleration, Lancer is actually slightly faster, especially at rolling speed. My results are slightly inaccurate due to my Lancer's were modified with headers, custom bullet, and TM Works prior to test driving 320i. But i doubt those can make so much difference. DK Tune the car should able to get the CVT works better, however i have no time to put the car over.

I must admit, Subaru's Lineartronic is one of the best CVT out there, may be its due to AWD therefore the acceleration is great.

Thanks,
Ken

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If you talk about response upon take off, the 320i is faster to get off the starting line. Lancer's sluggish CVT is tuned to have slight slip at lower speed and full bite after taking off. It terms of all around acceleration, Lancer is actually slightly faster, especially at rolling speed. My results are slightly inaccurate due to my Lancer's were modified with headers, custom bullet, and TM Works prior to test driving 320i. But i doubt those can make so much difference. DK Tune the car should able to get the CVT works better, however i have no time to put the car over.

I must admit, Subaru's Lineartronic is one of the best CVT out there, may be its due to AWD therefore the acceleration is great.

Thanks,
Ken
Ok that's a lot done to a Lancer that has a supposedly weak CVT GB. haha! Anyway I've been cruising around in the 320 for a few days now and I realize it's not a shouty roaring fire blazing machine, it's more of a waft and cruise whilst feeling like a feather type of machine and I can appreciate that at my age. I'll probably get a lightweight cornering mad-my-butts-on-fire toy car in the distant foreseeable future. Right now I am seriously liking how the e90 drives.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Ok that's a lot done to a Lancer that has a supposedly weak CVT GB. haha! Anyway I've been cruising around in the 320 for a few days now and I realize it's not a shouty roaring fire blazing machine, it's more of a waft and cruise whilst feeling like a feather type of machine and I can appreciate that at my age. I'll probably get a lightweight cornering mad-my-butts-on-fire toy car in the distant foreseeable future. Right now I am seriously liking how the e90 drives.
The E90 is a great cruiser i must say, if you don't mind higher roadtax and premium, try 323i ? It's still a 6cyl engine, has i-Drive and 17" wheels. Presumably the quality is better than 325 and 320 due to lesser complaint reported. I have tested E90 and E92, 320, 323, 325 variants, only the 320D not able to explore. I can tell, BMW without 6cyl feels lacking.

Thanks,
Ken

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The E90 is a great cruiser i must say, if you don't mind higher roadtax and premium, try 323i ? It's still a 6cyl engine, has i-Drive and 17" wheels. Presumably the quality is better than 325 and 320 due to lesser complaint reported. I have tested E90 and E92, 320, 323, 325 variants, only the 320D not able to explore. I can tell, BMW without 6cyl feels lacking.

Thanks,
Ken
Yeah, you already said the magic key words - roadtax. Haha.. I agree - A bmw without 6 cylinders feels odd

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yeah, you already said the magic key words - roadtax. Haha.. I agree - A bmw without 6 cylinders feels odd
Roadtax = MYR 859
6 cylinder smoothness and revving sound = priceless

BMW = Break My Wallet. So you need to brace yourself.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Huh go back to BMW again?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
This time its a BMW in true sense.
Last time its sort-of-BMW.

If he get anything having less than 6 piston under the hood then he will regret thus that BMW will become the sort-of-BMW which he owned last time.

I only manage to experience the 6 piston feel in an E60 525 for a very2 short lunch trip few times this year and the feel is 'lain lah'. It can be lazy and it can pounce. When it pounce, it doesnt make a fuss about it. Its like a lazy but deadly pounce.
The owner never complained abt fc esp on long distance drive Melaka-Kelantan...then again he is a doctor and income from doing locum is more than enough to maintain the car.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Are the beemers easy to maintain? I know of 4 friends who own beemers before, thereafter never touch them again. Even my mechanic's brother from beemer to Camry......lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Are the beemers easy to maintain? I know of 4 friends who own beemers before, thereafter never touch them again. Even my mechanic's brother from beemer to Camry......lol
In general, they dont breakdown.
Only their wear and tear is priced well above the rest.

Easy to maintain?
Should be easy as it does bot have mysterious disease like my Waja 1.8. A warning light just need a sensor or two to be replaced. Detecting the cause and replacing the part is easy...the price to do that is not 'easy' on the wallet.

Getting a used unit must be done carefully...very carefully. What i tend to notice is that some BMW owner whom have gleaming exterior will have shady mechanical. Those with so-so exterior have sound mechanical.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Meaning 6 cylinders it is then...
poor buggers like me will have to go with whatever my money can afford. And I cannot afford the FC for a 2.5L 6-cylinder BMW la. It drinks 12.5L/100KM la (that's about 8km/L) and that's not including the 800+ roadtax.

Roadtax = MYR 859
6 cylinder smoothness and revving sound = priceless

BMW = Break My Wallet. So you need to brace yourself.
The smoothness is next level. Having said that though the 1JZ sounds a hella lot better.

not necessarily. But I'm considering the possibility. I go where my money takes me, or in my case - where doors open for me with the little money I have.

This time its a BMW in true sense.
Last time its sort-of-BMW.

If he get anything having less than 6 piston under the hood then he will regret thus that BMW will become the sort-of-BMW which he owned last time.

I only manage to experience the 6 piston feel in an E60 525 for a very2 short lunch trip few times this year and the feel is 'lain lah'. It can be lazy and it can pounce. When it pounce, it doesnt make a fuss about it. Its like a lazy but deadly pounce.
My experience with BMWs is you never feel the power delivery unless it's a M3/M5. The M3 v8 manual I sat it was balls to the wall power delivery and the only other BMW close was the e60 Hartge 3.0 diesel I got to try. Other BMWs are so smooth in their delivery by the time you realize how fast you're going you've already broken 4 different road traffic rules. Even the 4-cylinder e90 - but to be fair all the e90s I got to drive were all remapped so low end torque and top end were very nice. The e36 manual 2.5L I wanted to buy sometime ago was no where near as powerful but manual was clunky and solid. Gawd that was a good feel car, pity my family that came with me didn't like it.

It really depends on how you look at it. Easy - not really because they are quite fussy cars meaning if it says 10k OCI, you better do it at 8k. And aftermarket OEM parts not necessarily good to use and better to stick with ori. But having said that if you know where to look the parts aren't overly expensive and are comparable with Toyotas of the same segment (except for some things like airbags.. BMW costs more). Your friends probably bought their bimmers new and were forced to go back to Autobavaria for service and got screwed over. Or they bought lemon used units (there are tonnes) which bled their wallets dry.

The thing about the Camry compared to a BMW 3-series or 5-series, the Camry is way more forgiving compared to the BMWs. You could forget to service the Camry and run to 20k without breaking anything. Do that with a BMW and prepare to replace your valves seals. A leaking Camry valve cover gasket will last 80-100k, the BMW one half of that max. etc.

But the driving feel and experience the BMW is way better vs the dull boring Camry.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Easy to maintain?
Should be easy as it does bot have mysterious disease like my Waja 1.8. A warning light just need a sensor or two to be replaced. Detecting the cause and replacing the part is easy...the price to do that is not 'easy' on the wallet.

Getting a used unit must be done carefully...very carefully. What i tend to notice is that some BMW owner whom have gleaming exterior will have shady mechanical. Those with so-so exterior have sound mechanical.
The effing BMW warning notices are super misleading and need that diagnostic tool from BMW to tell you specifically what breaks. The auto circulating vent sensor rosak and it'll tell you aircon spoil. Which is a major pain in the ass cuz that diagnostic tool is expensive and most OBD readers won't work on a BMW.

The nice on the outside shit on the inside is true. Very typical used car tactic for BMWs

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The only BMW I have ever driven was the E36 M3. Excellent car but I still don't dare buy BMW or any European cars yet. What I don't like about the modern BMWs is no dipstick.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Mini name will be echoing in the rallying world once again after the iconic brand made a return to the World Rally Championship (WRC) with the debut of their Mini Countryman WRC at the Rally Sardinia last week.

Although the marquee, which has tied up with Prodrive for their rally team, will only be participating in some of the rounds of this year’s calendar as a refinement step before going for the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience