why do u need a surge tank and an external fuel pump

iman__210

500 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Guys,

1) Care to explain the necessity of both item above in term
of performance or perhaps safetty of fuel delivery?

2) How much would be the cost to setup these?

Thanx in Advance

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
iman__210 said:
Guys,

Thanx in Advance
surge tank izzit same wit OCT?

external pump/internal pump will be d same as long as it is performance based.....u need those pump if u mods ur engine kaw kaw.....fuel pump should be change to deliver sufficient petrol to engine.....u hv to hv afr meter n AFR..my 2 cent

hamsap

1,500 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
PJ/ KL
iman__210 said:
Guys,

Thanx in Advance
Ermm.. if I understand the term 'surge tank' correctly, it is to help to supply the ammount of fuel constantly throughout from your fuel tank even when the car is taking extreme corners as the fuel tends to move left and right under such circumstances.

A good example of fuel surge (or for that matter, my experience with fuel surge) is when, for example, have 10% fuel left in your fuel tank, whack the car through corners and you will get the 'fuel cut' feel at the apex of the corner. It's as if the engine feels like dying off..

What I understand is that the fuel surge tank is suppose to help eliminate such 'sensation'.

How much? I really don't know..

iman__210

500 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
guys,

my concern is that with a injection fuel tank would you
stil need such a setup? problem only exist in a carby tank.
right?

hamsap

1,500 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
PJ/ KL
iman__210 said:
guys,

my concern is that with a injection fuel tank would you
stil need such a setup? problem only exist in a carby tank.
right?
Not sure, but my experience with fuel surge happened on a fuel injected car.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
carb engine doesnt need surge tank coz at the carb already got small fuel container.. the one with float inside.

jinkl-

500 RPM
Mar 3, 2005
Klang
yeah , what hamsap clarified is true
its needed if u want to whack corners and if u have not much fuel in ur tank
when u whack corners an ur fuel is towards on side of the wall in the tank
then pump cant pull the fuel
if using surge tank
the fuel is pumped to a temporary storage which is called the surge tank then feeded into ur engine

MitonCT26

1,000 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Seremban
i run external fuel pump and Surge tank as i am fed up with changing internal fuel pumps over and over again. new, old, performance and normal i tried all. busted after a month at most and 3 days the least. Until now dunno what happened.

changed to external and problem solved since. but because of the fuel splashing around the tank during cornering and in my case, accelerating from standing start, the fuel pump will not constantly feed to the injectors.

VERY VERY DANGEROUS TO HIGH BOOST APPLICATIONS! imagine you are dragging with someone lah...then 1st boost...2nd gear....3rd...bai...running lean bai..eh? no fuel bai...BOOM!...there goes your piston,conrod,valve,cam, block... :D :D :D :D

it is very useful for track day fanatics, and those who modify carby fuel tank for injection applications. daily drivers at urban areas need not apply, unless you want that shiny little shaft for shows..hehehe :D

a recommended item for track day freaks and nutters! :D

conflict_tuning

Known Member
May 30, 2005
Ampang
www.mitzmara.com
hi guys...
about the surge tanks ...the stuff already implement in my car...this cause when my car is start jerking like horse when i floored the pedal or make a cornering and when the petrol "tinggal satu takuk"..so when implement this things solve the problem..it's about rm 200 for street use, and need more RM if it use for track or racing..depend on size and what for (such as racing or others..)..

Surge tank is different from Oil Catch tank..OCT is for take the vapour from engine oil for richest O2 (oxygen)..it is for better engine burning so that you will get better performance..this stuff is around rm200-rm300 depends on brand..

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
I fuel surge tank is to prevent what we call 'fuel starvation' this happens when extreme G forces shift your fuel around your tank, away from the pick up point of your standard fuel line. A fuel surge tank is tall, small. The main fuel from the main tank is pumped into the surge tank and then from the surge tank it's pumped to your engine.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
where can get surge tank, and how much it will cost?
not for racing, just for street use.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi to all zth member...just wanna ask sifu2 what is the diffrence between evo3 and standart gti gearbox..:stupid:.since in driving with my stock gti engine,some suggest me to upgrade to evo3 that has been lock for my gti use can feel the car will feel more lighter than using standart gearbox..is that true??:driver:thanksssssss...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience