which drives better?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
what is the average range of maintenance fee i am looking at?

one of my friend actually own one of this but sell it off like last year...but he always cruise with it only..ha
honestly? the answer, it depends on what breaks down, and what maintenance have been done. FOR EXAMPLE, air cond compressor is a wear and tear part. it WILL EVENTUALLY fail. Best to speak to the owner and see what parts have been changed. Of course BMW parts are more expensive than local or Japanese, but what I noticed is that most of the times the parts also lasts longer.

Woah, that is a bit too blunt there...
I can't wait for the games to begin! FIGHT!

Reactions: alcyon

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
honestly? the answer, it depends on what breaks down, and what maintenance have been done. FOR EXAMPLE, air cond compressor is a wear and tear part. it WILL EVENTUALLY fail. Best to speak to the owner and see what parts have been changed. Of course BMW parts are more expensive than local or Japanese, but what I noticed is that most of the times the parts also lasts longer.
i dont know about other manufacturers, but my 1996 satria still using original compressor that comes with the car, thats already 23 years and odo around 470k km. i think thats the only wear and tear parts that is still never been replaced yet. others like alternator, gearbox, TB, all been replaced before due to malfunctioning.
old school proton (read mitsubishi) really last long.. proud to own 1..
this reply might be not related to this thread, but just sharing...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
i dont know about other manufacturers, but my 1996 satria still using original compressor that comes with the car, thats already 23 years and odo around 470k km. i think thats the only wear and tear parts that is still never been replaced yet. others like alternator, gearbox, TB, all been replaced before due to malfunctioning.
old school proton (read mitsubishi) really last long.. proud to own 1..
this reply might be not related to this thread, but just sharing...
That’s amazing. My turbo boat changed compressor 3 times already. Original Denso but made in tomyumland la.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
That’s amazing. My turbo boat changed compressor 3 times already. Original Denso but made in tomyumland la.
last time my aircond not cold, and i thought, ok thats it, thats the time i need to change my compressor. turned up mechanic checked its not the compressor, but the pipe is leaking so less gas. replace the pipe, refill gas and wallah, as cold as 23 yo car can get...hahaha
i dont know how and whats the performance of todays proton will look like 23 years from now. todays car surely its about quantity, not quality. it is debatable, but i think generally speaking, its like that. i think one of the obvious thing i observe is the old models city and vios has disc brake at the rear, but newer models replace with drum brake. and you know what, i once go jalan2 in shopping mall few years back and bump into this nissan grand livina on display. i just have a look and the salesman come approach. i asked, why front use disc and rear use drum? he said "if use disc for both, not so comfortable. the brake will be too much. so we put front disc for better brake, and rear drum so less braking so while braking you wont feel the braking much"... i said in my heart "whateverrrrr".... haha. i think its not true, but duno lah, what you guys think?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
what is the average range of maintenance fee i am looking at?

one of my friend actually own one of this but sell it off like last year...but he always cruise with it only..ha
hmmm how much are you expecting to spend on the car per year, lets say, all in rt/insurance everything except fuel

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
last time my aircond not cold, and i thought, ok thats it, thats the time i need to change my compressor. turned up mechanic checked its not the compressor, but the pipe is leaking so less gas. replace the pipe, refill gas and wallah, as cold as 23 yo car can get...hahaha
i dont know how and whats the performance of todays proton will look like 23 years from now. todays car surely its about quantity, not quality. it is debatable, but i think generally speaking, its like that. i think one of the obvious thing i observe is the old models city and vios has disc brake at the rear, but newer models replace with drum brake. and you know what, i once go jalan2 in shopping mall few years back and bump into this nissan grand livina on display. i just have a look and the salesman come approach. i asked, why front use disc and rear use drum? he said "if use disc for both, not so comfortable. the brake will be too much. so we put front disc for better brake, and rear drum so less braking so while braking you wont feel the braking much"... i said in my heart "whateverrrrr".... haha. i think its not true, but duno lah, what you guys think?
that salesman is bs-ing so hard, he never needs to go home to poop

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is there a big sign on your forehead that says "Big chump"? Cuz if I were there I'd give the salesman a history lesson on the uses and purposes of drum vs disc.

Old cars is all fine and dandy but the newer cars are getting more and more efficient. Efficient in FC, efficient on how it runs and generally drives and feels better. Don't get hooked onto old cars too much.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Old cars is all fine and dandy but the newer cars are getting more and more efficient. Efficient in FC, efficient on how it runs and generally drives and feels better. Don't get hooked onto old cars too much.
talk about efficiency, yes, cannot debate on that. when manufacturer trying to save more and more, compromising the quality, that what i meant above.. which cannot be avoided. they are competing and to keep making money, that the way to go.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
in the real world, to be honest, on a car used to go from a-b drums do the job. 99% on the road theres little to no benefit of having disks all round? correct me if im wrong? stoping distances are pretty much same? unless you go up and down genting and rely on the brakes that much.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
in the real world, to be honest, on a car used to go from a-b drums do the job. 99% on the road theres little to no benefit of having disks all round? correct me if im wrong? stoping distances are pretty much same? unless you go up and down genting and rely on the brakes that much.
Drum brake give more working surface to.
More complicated to take out n service too.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Drum brake give more working surface to.
More complicated to take out n service too.
service less than disks tho, they last alot longer. Have seen my dad remove the drum brake... alot of whacking

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I can't wait for the games to begin! FIGHT!
Don't want to fight like kids, I'm old poor uncle that can only afford glorified Myvi. ☺

Reactions: sweelt and parakey

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Almost 2 years after their recent 900K achievement, with 64,460 units sold in 2020, Honda Malaysia today celebrates their new 1 Millionth unit sold milestone by giving away 7 special edition models.

These special edition Hondas are not for sale and all Malaysians stand a chance to win simply by completing a few easy steps in a contest. Purchase is not necessary although it will increase...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience