When following a road hogger....What would you do ?

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
More often than not we will come across a road hogger in front of us...

Some will move to the left once he/ she sees us coming...

Some wont bother but to carry on driving slowly in the fast lane...

Causing unnecessary long queue of slowed down traffic in the fastlane...

So what should we do if we come across such road hoggers whom refuse to budge ?:thefinger::rofl::smokin::banghead:

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I usually drive at usual speed in the middle or left lane. Only venture to fast lane when overtaking a slower car. Seldom encounter road hogger.

I have seen a lot of car overtaking the 'fast lane hogger' from left and resolute to 'crawl' in front of the road hogger though.
It quite fun watching from slow lane on how the road hogger flashing at the 'crawling' car.
On one occasion, the road hogger try to overtake from left lane, I saw the 'crawling' car up his speed too. Tasting his own medicine I guess :rofl:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Me, I'll just over take from the left/middle lanes, no need to waste much time.
I have not found many though, mostly quite ok, so no big deal IMHO. I'm used to driving in much worse condition/traffic btw! :)

Last edited:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Signal, look at side mirror and rear view mirror, then overtake from the left when it is safe to do so and move on with life. Period.

pandaB

Known Member
Feb 9, 2005
few years ago its a nuisance as theres plenty of these "hoggers" around... flashing lights twice repeatly normally will make them budge..if that fails, horn em. If still Rock-inside-head kinda hogger, lookout on the left lane, if deemed safe, signal and overtake. hehehe
Nowadays tho, there's more motorist around with brains and logic so all is good.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I usually drive at usual speed in the middle or left lane. Only venture to fast lane when overtaking a slower car. Seldom encounter road hogger.

I have seen a lot of car overtaking the 'fast lane hogger' from left and resolute to 'crawl' in front of the road hogger though.
It quite fun watching from slow lane on how the road hogger flashing at the 'crawling' car.
On one occasion, the road hogger try to overtake from left lane, I saw the 'crawling' car up his speed too. Tasting his own medicine I guess :rofl:
That's the best way to let them know how it feels like hogging the lane!!! :mad: :banghead:

not much in lembah klang...

but so many in Ipoh...lol..
For those who caught in the jam yesterday midnight from 11.30pm - 1am from Ipoh to KL,
You will know what is road hogging all about...

There were so many road hoggers that night and causing a long queue at the speed of 80 - 100km/h.

Mostly at 2 lane roads. The jam started when some low mentality famous Malaysians'
"Slow Down & Check it Out" attitude people are causing the jam when it was
only a police car with Siren Light on at emergency lane helping out a breakdown car
with a tow truck...

Then nvm, after that, it was clear & I happily thought it was over, but the jam started at
Tapah Rest Area.

Wow....amazingly the right lane seems to be the slow lane while the left lane seems
to be Fast lane. I observe from far what the hell is it causing the crawl, mostly I see
are road hoggers right in front.

At 1 time, since the left is clear, I could actually overtake for about 1KM+- stretch without
any cars on the left lane while those hoggers are slowly taking their sweet time on the
right lane.

Can you believe that??? I can't... :banghead:

The whole night even when it has come to 3 lanes highway, is still the same. Just that
this time there are more options or routes to overtake, either from far left or middle lane
when it is safe and clear to do so.

The road hogger that I remember that night was a White Exora, should have note down his
number plate and post it here. Didnt bother much that night, as I was rushing home to
get a good night sleep and prepare for work today. Hogging the fast lane. Didn't want to budge.
It was a 2 lane road. Left was empty for quite some time.

There is a Ford Ranger right behind me tailing close as well, thought of cutting to left
lane and let him tail that exora instead until I passed the bus on the left but I guess the
Ford driver couldn't stand any longer when to left lane and wanted to cut in front of me.

Slowed down and let him cut in. True enough, with the Ford Ranger tailing that idiot, finally
he cut to the left lane. :stupid:

What a hectic and stressed out drive back home...Some are very considerate, they cut to
the left/middle lane knowing they are going slower than others who is driving faster.

Anyway, if any road hoggers in here who have the mentality or attitude of....

"I deserve to be on the fast lane because I'm driving at the maximum speed limit of that
particular highway at 110km/h. I'm not hogging the road, you guys shouldn't be driving
more than the speed limit allowed"

You can bang your head on the wall real hard and see if you can still say the same. Need to
really crack your skull to wake up...

Not some quote made up by me but was said by someone I know. :adore:

SloMo

Known Member
Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
this i dont understand, if some one is trying to overtake why not let them pass? try doing that in single lane 2-way traffic road both will be in danger if there is oncoming car on the other side. in a way, its funny how they can be mad because someone hogs in front of them, while their doing the same.

"I deserve to be on the fast lane because I'm driving at the maximum speed limit of that
particular highway at 110km/h. I'm not hogging the road, you guys shouldn't be driving

this also i can not brain, why the heck stay on the fast lane if youre doing the speed limit? if others want to drive faster than the speed limit, let them be

Last edited:

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur

this also i can not brain, why the heck stay on the fast lane if youre doing the speed limit? if others want to drive faster than the speed limit, let them be
Few years back a lady DJ from a local radio station (I think it was hitz.fm) shamelessly declared similar thing on air: that she hogged the fast lane at 110km/h.

Until Uncle Yamin Vong bashed the lady DJ in the editorial of NST's Cars Bikes & Trucks.

Read Uncle Yamin Vong's anti-hogger (road hogger and attention hogger/whore) article:

Lack of convoy etiquette

Written by Yamin Vong, Published on December 11, 2012 12:08 pm,

AT 10.20am last Thursday, there was a long file of police motorcycles being ridden south towards the Sungei Besi toll plaza.

There were about a hundred Honda VFR 800P motorcycles and they were being ridden at a safe speed of about 100km/h on a bright sunny morning and a clear road.

There was an advance team of about three bikers, also in police riding gear, and their job was to clear the way for the convoy.

Heeding their instructions, we kept to the left lane in our car, maintaining our speed, and as the main convoy passed, we noted that the bikers kept a safe distance between themselves. Enough to brake and avoid.

That’s something we should learn from the police motorcyclists. That’s because they are professional riders who are required to ride motorcycles to perform their job of traffic management. They need to ride well for long-term survival. If a police rider is crash prone, he won’t be in his job for long.

Less than a month ago, there was a fatal crash involving a pack of super bikers who rear-ended a slow-moving vehicle merging out to the main highway. It was a tragedy that moved many to write letters to the editors, complaining about big bike convoys.

Few big bikers wrote to explain their side of the story. Ironically, almost all the super bikers are themselves drivers of cars during their work days.

This thing about super bike convoys is not so difficult to explain if we can understand the context of how they arose. Ships from Allied countries travelled in convoys for safety against the German and Japan navies during World War II.

Safety is one reason why motorcyclists, just as four-wheeler, travel in groups. Malaysians have quite an experience in this sort of travelling in convoys.

For instance, Ngo Yoke Kwang and his band of Sungei Buloh Welly motorcyclists regularly ship their big bikes – usually BMWs - over to Shanghai and ride for a month in China.

On the four-wheel front, Thomas Foo, Douglas Choong and Linus Low are among the leaders who frequently organise month-long 4x4 expeditions to China, Central Asia, South Asia, Africa and South America.

They travel in a group, a convoy, for safety in numbers. They face their own dangers, usually of driver fatigue or fender-benders when they have to drive in a close convoy in urban traffic to avoid being separated.

But then again, on four wheels is “safe” because a crash doesn’t automatically translate into a fall and trauma.
For super bikers, it becomes dangerous when they travel in groups for performance of a charity event or to promote some political cause. Then, these super bikers are required to ride in tight packs to make an impact. That would be all right if they were trained like the police tattoo riders who can even ride in a 3D pyramid formation.

Unfortunately, in the case of the big bike convoys, their only common factor is their wealth and ability to buy almost any bike they like.

Inexperienced riders on powerful motorcycles moving in tight packs at speed is a neat formula for tragedy.
That’s not to say that rich guys shouldn’t ride.

But perhaps they should think about how the police do it – in file formation – and if they can’t keep up, let the space build up and allow the faster bikes that are following to overtake.

Cars have four wheels and if they crash, the passengers are cocooned in a 2-tonne vehicle – the average weight of a sports utility vehicle (SUV) or a 4x4.

A super biker on the other hand will probably fall on the road if there is a crash. Therefore the solution, if they have to ride in a convoy, is to do it like the police riders, strung out in a long file.

For convoy organisers, if the group is big, then break the group into smaller numbers. Experienced marshals know the business. Riding in a tight pack at speed is not common sense unless the members are trained riders and familiar with each other as riding team mates.

One of the complaints of motorists is that the glamour convoys hog the fast lane and their marshals are high-handed, glaring at or making threatening gestures to motorists who they think are not giving way fast enough.

There are not enough rules to replace common sense and we should be thankful about that. As convoy organisers, we should not obstruct traffic. That’s a courtesy that will be appreciated. Also, many motorists don’t know how to react in an unfamiliar situation.

When managing convoys of cars on a single lane road, we usually instruct the drivers to space their vehicles so as not to block faster traffic bringing up the rear.

Similarly with big bike convoys, they should not obstruct faster traffic and the marshals should manage the ride so that they don’t always have to use strong-arm tactics.

NOTE: Yamin Vong is a veteran bike rider. In his school days, his first bike was a Suzuki 100 bought from a roti man for RM250. When he was in Form 6, he exchanged it with his brother’s Suzuki 250R. He would ride to the Bukit Timah A&W to meet up with his motorcycle friends in Singapore. In university, he had a series of old British bikes. Successfully, they were a BSA 250, Triumph Tiger 100, Norton 500 Featherbed and a BSA 500cc single (ex-military bike).

Other bikes included a retired police Suzuki 500, a Suzuki 750 watercooled, a Triumph Thunderbird and a Yamaha XS1100 shaft drive. He has been on many 4x4 expeditions and helped organise early 4x4 events to Laos and China. His current rides are a BMW R1100, a Kawasaki ER6, a Suzuki FX125 and a Honda C70. His next bike trip is on a Vespa LX150 with a group of 10 fellow riders on local kapchais (they prefer Honda Cubs) around the Mekong Delta. “Ride at the appropriate speed – the average speed of the traffic” is his motto.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya, I remember once a lady DJ commented on that too. At that moment, I just can't believe that she publicly announced that she
is one of those famous road hoggers...:banghead:

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Ya, I remember once a lady DJ commented on that too. At that moment, I just can't believe that she publicly announced that she
is one of those famous road hoggers...:banghead:
Many years back,

There was also a talk of the town about a JPJ enforcement officer purposely hog on the fastlane at 110km/hr.

Whomever overtake him from the left and did above 110km/hr, he will give chase and slap 2 summones,

One for dangerous driving, and one for speeding....

Dont know how the story ended anyway...

Anyone heard or knew the outcome of this story? :thefinger::confused::mad:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Never heard of that story before but then, that's just obvious cari makan tactic...

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
Few years back a lady DJ from a local radio station (I think it was hitz.fm) shamelessly declared similar thing on air: that she hogged the fast lane at 110km/h.

Until Uncle Yamin Vong bashed the lady DJ in the editorial of NST's Cars Bikes & Trucks.

Read Uncle Yamin Vong's anti-hogger (road hogger and attention hogger/whore) article:
More "GREAT" marshal antics in Melaka on 2/11/2013. time was around 4pm and it was so jammed up near the mahkota/hatten/pahlawan area but they still had the gall to stop traffic so they can get the convoy together. their effort was in vain as none of the convoy members at the rear caught up and they caused more damage to the already jammed up area by backing up traffic on the right side.

Good job, marshals!

Attachments

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Many years back,

There was also a talk of the town about a JPJ enforcement officer purposely hog on the fastlane at 110km/hr.

Whomever overtake him from the left and did above 110km/hr, he will give chase and slap 2 summones,

One for dangerous driving, and one for speeding....

Dont know how the story ended anyway...

Anyone heard or knew the outcome of this story? :thefinger::confused::mad:
Never heard of that story before but then, that's just obvious cari makan tactic...
That is very common tactic from police to enforce the law. When I came back from Kuantan to KL in December, there was one police patrol in a Lancer driving at around 110kph but he stayed on the left. Nobody dare to overtake cuz obviously if we did it'd clearly show that we went over the speed limit. So everyone just followed for several minutes (maybe around 10km) until he went out at some exit, then suddenly many sped up a bit (including me). :biggrin:
When I drove way back in the US, the patrol cars also often did this.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

it may seem silly but i cant stick my new 3rd brake light [bought at abang's shop at setapak] to the rear window of my wira a/b
ive tried using the stock double sided that came with the light..n after few hours it tanggal. i try using new strong double sided from hardware shop.oso tanggal. then i use UHU glue...n then i got pissed n use superglue gam gajah! the friggin light just wont stay stuck to my rear window.

yes. during diy i did press very tightly on the light to make sure the glue...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience