When an airbag inflates, what happens to the steering wheel cover/hub/center?

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
I more-or-less understand how and when an airbag in inflated and its purpose. But I am wondering (and no one seems to talk about it) what happens to the steering wheel hub/cover that hides the airbag when the bag inflates?

I mean, does the wheel cover/hub flip open when the bag inflates? Does the cover fly off? Or does it tear/get ripped by the exploding air bag? Wouldn't that be risky because our face might get hit by flying shrapnel (like the car logo or bits of plastic)?

:confused:

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
The wheel cover will tear. Mostly as i ever seen the tear is in "H" shape with a straight line as if this cover already have the tearable line before airbag deployed.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

to all sifu's, pls comment which engine is more suitable for upgrating the wira 1.5(A), by comparing the FC and HP.

4G91 DOHC (Auto),4G92 DOHC non-mivec(Auto),4G92 DOHC mivec(Auto) and 4G93 DOHC (Auto).
1.6 mives got one triptronic one quite interesting, but dunno how is the HP and FC ???
My current ride is 4G15 (A), which is very in power and very pandai in FC (makan minyak)....about 17~20sen (depends highway and town area). This engin even overtake an ori kancil when wif 5 person in...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience