What tyre for frequent traveler (using highway)

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Hi guys,

I would like to ask for opinions about suitable tyre (brand, model) for my car (1996 1.6L Satria, stock rim R14). I am a very frequent traveler (mostly using highway). I am currently thinking about Michelin Pilot Sport. However, maybe you guys can give more brilliant opinions here based on your past experience and discussion with friends and family. Thank you in advance.

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Tyre won't change yr fuel consumption unless you change rim saiz or tyre profile. PS3 indeed good tyre but price also very high. If yr driving habit is not that rough then you no need go for PS3. If you want tyre can last you longer then you need to see the tyre treadwear rating. The higher rating mean tyre can last longer but the lower rating mean the tyre is more grip to the ground. For what brand you want to use is depend yr budget.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
How I want to figure out the tyre treadwear rating for each type of tyre? So, tyre manufacturers which says that their tyres can improve fuel efficiency is just for the sake of advertising? Can you suggest me a few other tyres models that are in the same class of PS3, thinking about Yokohama C-drive maybe??

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The rating can see on tyre itself you can check Continental tyre as well. PS3 and Conti consider sport and comfortable tyre maybe that why so expensive. Advan also good but I think the tyre will wear quite fast.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
OK then, thanks for all the input. I will go for PS3.. Anyone who has more input, please share with us. :biggrin:

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
PS3 is not available for 14 inch rim. Anyone has any suggestion on tyres which available for 14 inch rim? Thinking about Conti tyres.. but not sure about which model should I choose. Would appreciate if someone could share his opinion..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Suggest you look at Michelin XM1 and 2. They are the so-called energy saver tyres that *might* help you get some better FC

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
I'm currently using XM1. Im thinking to do a little upgrade to my tyres, that's why I currently working on to figure out which tyres are suitable for me. Is XM2 a lot better than XM1 or its just another version of it which I can expect the same performance as XM1? In my opinion, XM1 is OK, for a tyre which sits at the lowest class among all other Michelin tyres.

Last edited:

lamedrvr

Jan 20, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hi jebatdex

i would like to know: how long have you been using your current XM1? how far you travel regularly (using hiway)? how the performance/grip during rainy weather?

right now, i'm using Falken Ziex for my 14" aftermarket rims on 1999 satria 1.3...cost only rm155 (per) last march. i'm interested to know how reliable the XM1 is..as i've regularly heard positive reviews about it. if the price is ok, i may use it some day :biggrin:.

just to share: before this Ziex, i used sime tyres' Astar only, but i found it reliable. quite noise la, but in terms of grip, with the fastest my car can go, i think it impressed me! i used sime tyres for 3+ years.. hahahahaha! i used to balik kampung in alor gajah (only one hour trip la from KL) once a month. so, right now, i can barely tell anything about Ziex, as i've yet to balik kampung using my satria - my other car is a PV6...married, got two kids already but still won't let go my first car! my PV6 running on Yokohama A-drive. good at dry, but wet road? not recommend to go faster than 100km/h. how much XM1 for 16"? got any idea haa?

thanks!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

how does having a larger intercooler piping,lets say 4" , bigger plenum and bigger throttle helps in gaining performance? how would it affect otherwise? heard that it will bogged down like hell if things are not done properly. very interested in it.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience