What mods to do on a rb25det for around 400hp?

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
As the topic implies, can i get some rough idea what to completely modify for a stock rb25det in order to get around 400hp?

i currently only have 3inch piping, afm upgrade,intercooler, fuel pump and exedy single racing clutch.

gtr_vspec

Known Member
Aug 17, 2008
simple step
change hks turbo gt28
ecu apexi fc
fuel rail hks
oil cooler hks
internal all std
cost 18k+

can get around 420 whp

mod 1 yr ago on my r34gtt:biggrin:

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
thanks, i can afford 18k but is 18k inclusive of all labour charges and tuning?

this one can safely be done on stock internals bro? stock injectors only go 330cc i thnk for my case so i think need to upgrade that as well?

and btw how many bar u boosting?

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
i dont have much to say about r33 rb25 stock engine internals cos i blew mine 1 month after installation of aftermarket turbo etc. and that's on a very conservative fuelling n ignition maps, main objective to prolong engine life, power comes second. maybe the halfcut engine that i got was already dying. the R34s that i hang out with (none of them running stock turbo) dont seem to face any problem with their stock internals so i guess r34 rb25 neo is significantly stronger.

anyway if u choose to do it (plus u said rm18k no prob for u) then at least install a metal head gasket n n1 oil pump during the aftermarket turbo installation.

u can get bigger turbo that is capable of more flow at a fraction of the price of garrett gt turbo. i used garrett T3/T04E and it was amazing! but most people nowadays (especially those who start playing cars after introduction of garrett gt) would not believe that conventional turbos are also capable of achieving high power.

injectors MUST change. minimum is s15 480cc injectors. i used 740cc nismo injectors last time. the rest should be okay. just remember the rule of thumb for minimum injector size selection for RB/JZ engine: 1 hp = 1 injector cc. if u plan to run 400bhp, then u need at least 400cc injectors. thats for on crank hp to be safe. so meaning if u target 400hp on wheel, then roughly on engine is 450-460bhp, so injector cc should be 450-460cc MINIMUM. go 1 step bigger just to be safe.

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
i m currently boost for 1.2 bar
u can set higher 1.5 bar using fc
i see. I think i will only boost with accordance with the ratio of my metal gasket.

Bump: some other question:

1)just what is the difference btween procam and poncam?

2)lets say u put either poncam or procam will this cancel the vtc?I heard its very hard to tune then?

3)cam pulleys necessary for the quest of 400hp with poncam/procam?

Bump: some other question:

1)just what is the difference btween procam and poncam?

2)lets say u put either poncam or procam will this cancel the vtc?I heard its very hard to tune then?

3)cam pulleys necessary for the quest of 400hp with poncam/procam?

Bump: wtf is wrong with the reply?

i keep reply it keeps quoting and "bump-ing" my post.

Last edited:

GTS500

Known Member
Nov 18, 2008
400hp on wheels or fly?

Bump: to use procams on rb25det, u will need to convert to solid lifters and purchase the correct set of valve springs.

poncams are plug n play.

Last edited:

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
is anything above 260 considered procams already?

im targeting 400 otw.

GTS500

Known Member
Nov 18, 2008
400whp is possible.
You will need
1. TOMEI Solid Lifters
2. TOMEI Valve Springs
3. TOMEI PROcams 260 10.25mm for intake and exhaust
4. TOMEI Cam Pulleys
5. TOMEI Shims
6. GT35R Turbo
7. JUN Oil Pump
8. ACL Bearings
9. Pistons of your choice
10. Least 550cc Injectors
11. Fuel Pump
12. Apexi PFC

Get ready 35-40k to achieve 400whp on a RB25DET. Thats what i paid and gain.
Parts may be cheap but labour to build and to convert your cyl. head to solid lifters application comes with a price.

Bump: Other minor parts will be your
Wastegate
Oil cooler
Clutch
Intercooler
Tyres

GTS500

Known Member
Nov 18, 2008
researching and puchasing your own parts then pay someone to build your engine
and paying for a ready made engine is totally a different contentment.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi. Would the ZTH members share their pricing regarding this services below. I don't wanna get cheated so i would appreciate your help. My car is perdana sei.

How much is it for :

Pumping Front Cambers
Pumping Rear Cambers
Alignment
Balancing
Nitrogen

I would really appreciate your help for these info and let it be shared so that people out there won't get cheated.

Do quote me the price for pumping of front and rear cambers for perdana. Thx. :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience