What is tyre flex?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
tyre flex, either caused by the softer tyre walls or u got higher profile tyres. add more tyre pressure for d fun factor, but not too much
Already at 240kpa pressure. Any harder I might hit the 280kpa maximum limit.

A very noticeable problem would be the delayed steering response.
I don't have delayed response at all. It feels like the cars rear ass weight suddenly shifts and then the car squats one side which in turns corners in harder than expected. It's good but somewhat unpredictable. I haven't been able to master it so I want to get it out of the way. Would you say this is tyre flexing?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Hyundai on stock suspension, cannot lower. Rear actually already lower due to it's weight.
VR on adjustable but already at it's lowest setting. Could be rally specs...haha since VR used for rally those days.
Front tried to lower before, when too low drive shaft runs at different angle a lot of vibration....:banghead:
So all standard now....:driver:
Rear lower then your front is higher...:rofl:
Maybe aerodynamics not good also partly for high FC?

So far my PP2 dun have tyre flex, in fact cornering was much more fun than cornering in BLM or Altis...but comfort wise, kelisa is the worse :laugh:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Rear lower then your front is higher...:rofl:
Maybe aerodynamics not good also partly for high FC?

So far my PP2 dun have tyre flex, in fact cornering was much more fun than cornering in BLM or Altis...but comfort wise, kelisa is the worse :laugh:
Yup, springs in the rear mighty small compared to the front. Of course front still have engine weight but then I think the rears springs have weaken. Trying to mod my old VR suspension in....:driver:

Good for cornering sure bad for comfort....:rolleyes:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yup, springs in the rear mighty small compared to the front. Of course front still have engine weight but then I think the rears springs have weaken. Trying to mod my old VR suspension in....:driver:

Good for cornering sure bad for comfort....:rolleyes:
Dunno which blog I went, said kelisa best not to use GAS Absorbers...not comfortable. but mine using gas...SACHS Absorbers.

Cornering improved due to the Stiff Rings installed also less dashboard vibrations when driving thru speed breakers...last time vibration was so bad as if is gonna come off....everything rattles...

Partly also because of tyres good for good handling :rofl: But tyre wall for PP2 shud be hard Guess which is why it doesnt flex much. comfort level acceptable though.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Dunno which blog I went, said kelisa best not to use GAS Absorbers...not comfortable. but mine using gas...SACHS Absorbers.

Cornering improved due to the Stiff Rings installed also less dashboard vibrations when driving thru speed breakers...last time vibration was so bad as if is gonna come off....everything rattles...

Partly also because of tyres good for good handling :rofl: But tyre wall for PP2 shud be hard Guess which is why it doesnt flex much. comfort level acceptable though.
Probably because yours are 55 series. I have seen a PP2 195/60R15 those days sidewall quite soft, though the pattern area is hard....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Probably because yours are 55 series. I have seen a PP2 195/60R15 those days sidewall quite soft, though the pattern area is hard....
yes is 55 series. Never thought 55 also can start to feel uncomfortable. Compare all 3 cars going over uneven roads on the same road, kelisa can feel the most of it while BLM and Corolla go thru it without feeling much of it...

My Corolla also is using 205/55/16. 55 series as well. BLM is 185/60/14. Shud be the springs that makes some difference i guess...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yes is 55 series. Never thought 55 also can start to feel uncomfortable. Compare all 3 cars going over uneven roads on the same road, kelisa can feel the most of it while BLM and Corolla go thru it without feeling much of it...

My Corolla also is using 205/55/16. 55 series as well. BLM is 185/60/14. Shud be the springs that makes some difference i guess...
Yup, springs and absorbers too. I think you mentioned using gas shocks, right? Gas are harder as they have compressed gas inside...

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
VR, nvm...let SF lower his car kao kao so he can start thread in forum....My drive shaft got sound....pls help..

I lowered my car also don't lower much...try to let the drive shaft level on both side and the steering tie rod don't have too much angle.....now my driveshaft is level and tie rod end angle very little only....my car lowered but still able to clear bumps without needing to snake...

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Moral of the story: Change one variable at a time. lol.

So what's the outcome?

YeEvil

Aug 3, 2009
-
I don't have delayed response at all. It feels like the cars rear ass weight suddenly shifts and then the car squats one side which in turns corners in harder than expected. It's good but somewhat unpredictable. I haven't been able to master it so I want to get it out of the way. Would you say this is tyre flexing?

It reminds me of a technical inspection that i've done years ago, and it has quite similar symptoms that you have mentioned. The vehicle was running with 4pcs of brand new 195/50/15 UHP tires. However, user complained vehicle heavily wobbles during cornering, which it doesn't really make sense because we had tested the tires numerous times before it was launched to the market. So we decided to do a test drive...

Test 1: Front = same tires
Rear = Same tires
Result = tested the car, noticed vehicle wobbles during cornering. Initially suspected it
was caused by the wrong combination of lowering springs + absorbers.

Test 2: Front = Mounted same tires at the front,
Rear = Fitted with other brands UHP even HP tires (tested 3 set from 3 different brand)
Result = Found vehicle has a very serious delayed steering response.

Test 3: Front = Mounted different brands tires(the same 3 set from 3 diff brand previously)
Rear = remain the same.
Result = vehicle heavily yaw during cornering.

Summary: Tires sidewall found damage suspected due to logistic/ shipping.

Anyway, u can always do a simple comparison btw your old vs current sidewall construction by looking at the sidewall ply rating. Hope it helps.

Attachments

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It reminds me of a technical inspection that i've done years ago, and it has quite similar symptoms that you have mentioned. The vehicle was running with 4pcs of brand new 195/50/15 UHP tires. However, user complained vehicle heavily wobbles during cornering, which it doesn't really make sense because we had tested the tires numerous times before it was launched to the market. So we decided to do a test drive...

Test 1: Front = same tires
Rear = Same tires
Result = tested the car, noticed vehicle wobbles during cornering. Initially suspected it
was caused by the wrong combination of lowering springs + absorbers.

Test 2: Front = Mounted same tires at the front,
Rear = Fitted with other brands UHP even HP tires (tested 3 set from 3 different brand)
Result = Found vehicle has a very serious delayed steering response.

Test 3: Front = Mounted different brands tires(the same 3 set from 3 diff brand previously)
Rear = remain the same.
Result = vehicle heavily yaw during cornering.

Summary: Tires sidewall found damage suspected due to logistic/ shipping.

Anyway, u can always do a simple comparison btw your old vs current sidewall construction by looking at the sidewall ply rating. Hope it helps.
If same tyres size then okay, but his old set were 205/45R16 and new set is 195/55R15

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Bro. Ixeo,
Bro. Izso could not test my rim/tyre because his set only 4 hole PCD 100 which could not fit my VR for a swap.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
WTF, is this solarturbine doing unliking all people's thread.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

TO learn more on Professional detailing - Free & good sites available
does not need to spent $$$$ to buy this nor this

start Patronising this international sites you will see how to DIY yr car detailing

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=2296280#post2296280...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience