What is tyre flex?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
After changing to these new tyres Yokohama Cdrive2 195/55/15 and adjustables, I've been experiencing something I've never come across before. I can't figure out if it's tyre flexing or the antiroll bar is not stiff enough.

Situation : hard (and sometimes fast) directional changes from left to right will result in the car suddenly squatting on the bottom left side which suddenly forces the turns even more which makes it somewhat unpredictable.

I stiffened the suspension to compensate and reduce body roll however I needed some body roll to some extent and that squat is still noticeable.

Is this the rear antiroll-bar sinking or being too soft or is this the tyre flexing around?

Last edited:

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
"Squat" as in the weight is shifted to that part of the car?

From the sound of it, the spring rate for the Adjustable arent quite right for your car.

To rule out the Tire as the issue, try a few laps in the neighbourhood with your tires pumped up to higher pressure... 35PSI just to test it.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
what was your previous tyre size and type?

if prev was 195/50-15 i believe it was tyre flex.....since thicker sidewalls=easier to flex wall...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
"Squat" as in the weight is shifted to that part of the car?

From the sound of it, the spring rate for the Adjustable arent quite right for your car.

To rule out the Tire as the issue, try a few laps in the neighbourhood with your tires pumped up to higher pressure... 35PSI just to test it.
Yeah, weight shift. I can feel the weight shift which in turn pushes the car more into the corner. I haven't been able to properly control this which is why I want to get rid of it. Makes cornering fast very difficult and unpredictable.

Spring rate is the stock 6k front 4k rear. Any stiffer and the car will bounce around a lot. I've used 8k front and 6k rear before and that was unbearably uncomfortable.

My tyre pressure is normally at 240kpa which is about 35psi already.

what was your previous tyre size and type?

if prev was 195/50-15 i believe it was tyre flex.....since thicker sidewalls=easier to flex wall...
Erm... my previous tyre was 205/45/16. :biggrin: No flex confirm! But these tyres supposed to have relatively stiff sidewalls. Not like the hankooks

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah, weight shift. I can feel the weight shift which in turn pushes the car more into the corner. I haven't been able to properly control this which is why I want to get rid of it. Makes cornering fast very difficult and unpredictable.

Spring rate is the stock 6k front 4k rear. Any stiffer and the car will bounce around a lot. I've used 8k front and 6k rear before and that was unbearably uncomfortable.

My tyre pressure is normally at 240kpa which is about 35psi already.

Erm... my previous tyre was 205/45/16. :biggrin: No flex confirm! But these tyres supposed to have relatively stiff sidewalls. Not like the hankooks
If you had no problem with 205/45R16 on same setup then the tyre are flexing too much. Try up to 40psi for those super soft sidewall Yokies CD2 and see how it goes.
But having more air in soft sidewall tyres are no fun. I rather have normal air pressure on hard sidewall tyres. Tested them before in the Toyo T1-R in my VR. To me this tyre sidewall too soft also...:banghead:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
sounds like confirm is flexing sidewall to me... :biggrin:

unless your tyre is those semislick with hard sidewall then still complains maybe its due to something else..... :driver:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Izso, come switch my 17" GT Radial HPY and try. If still flex then suspension or ARB problem....

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Anytime you are free give me a call.
My rims are 8 holes so no worry, direct swap. Only you will need more juice to start up as overall diameter is 5% bigger, but then testing suspension only.

Okay, give you choice, my Hyundai also 17" on Goodyear Asy 2, rims also 8 holes.....ha! ha! :biggrin:
But HPY have harden sidewall....:driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
can my corolla try too? :biggrin:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
if put on my daily satria confirm have to put the "O/D off" mode most of the time :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Looks great, and goes fast. That describes the Scirocco R aptly. Thanks to Zaibi Motors, we also managed to take the 'Roc out for a quick spin around the block, and to have a brief comparison between the Golf R.

Both the Golf and Scirocco R shares the same 2.0-litre TSI engine, but in the Scirocco, produces slightly less horsepower, 265PS...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience